Thread: PowerBook G4

Default PowerBook G4

Ok some of you know that I have a PowerBook G4. What I want to know is if it will run MAC OSX 10.5

Its running on

400MHZ PPC
    512MB RAM

Its running 10.4 right now but most stuff for mac is for 10.5 or higher

The CPU will be your big issue. 400MHZ is what I'd expect for Windows 95 requirements. To be honest, I don't think it is even worth trying or spending the money on OSX 10.6. Even if it does work, it still won't work very well.

Apple has a page with system requirements here, as you can see, that laptop doesn't meet the minimum requirements for CPU. If you don't need anything super powerful, you can get the original Core Duo and earlier Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros for quite cheap these days.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    Ok some of you know that I have a PowerBook G4. What I want to know is if it will run MAC OSX 10.5

Its running on

400MHZ PPC
    512MB RAM

YOU WILL NOT be able to run OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard), as that requires an Intel-based processor. (RE: Grizzy)

I myself have an iBook G4 (1.2GHz) PPC-based laptop running 10.5. It's not snappy at times, and I've seen the spinning beach ball of doom more than I would like. And I've installed another 1GB RAM to its max of 1.5GB.

In short: even if you could possibly technically run Leopard (I don't believe it will check CPU speed, but I don't know), you most likely won't like it.

Shorter still: Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post

Its running on

400MHZ PPC
    512MB RAM

You'll have to get around the install issue but it will run, abet slowly. 10.5 from my experience doesn't like being run with anything under 2 gigs of RAM.

I have a 12" 1.0GHz Powerbook that runs 10.5.8 okish. It's not a speed demon though.

If you have an external Firewire drive I'd install it on that first and it would allow you to see what it is like.
    Last edited by babibear; 08-May-2010 at 05:44.

It won't be worth it - slow as hell even if you can get it running. Stick with what works!

It's definitely a bit ancient, I think a good time for an upgrade if possible.

I dont have the money to buy a new apple

Default 10.5, Yes; 10.6, no.

Officially, no. However, with a little twiddling at the Open Firmware prompt before installation, it is possible. According to Low End Mac, people have done it on the 400 MHz PowerBook-- but as people have observed on this thread, you're running a more resource-intensive OS on an old, slow machine; the above page discusses the pros and cons in more detail.

Low End Mac also has the instructions on how to get Open Firmware to fool the installer into installing. If you can't get this to work, another option I've heard of is to take out the drive and move it to a supported machine, do the upgrade, then move it back.

UNIX will probably run with 512 MB, but it's going to swap virtual memory like crazy; your machine will crawl. Practically, you will probably need to upgrade to at least 768K, better to go to the limit of 1GB.

As others have said, 10.6 requires Intel hardware and isn't viable on the G4.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Peri View Post
    Officially, no. However, with a little twiddling at the Open Firmware prompt before installation, it is possible. According to Low End Mac, people have done it on the 400 MHz PowerBook-- but as people have observed on this thread, you're running a more resource-intensive OS on an old, slow machine; the above page discusses the pros and cons in more detail.

Low End Mac also has the instructions on how to get Open Firmware to fool the installer into installing. If you can't get this to work, another option I've heard of is to take out the drive and move it to a supported machine, do the upgrade, then move it back.

As others have said, 10.6 requires Intel hardware and isn't viable on the G4.

Good luck!
    I dont want to run 10.6 just 10.5