Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obesity crisis

Default Obesity crisis

BBC News - US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals

This article got me thinking about obesity, we are living in an age where so many people are classed as obese/overweight yet we know the causes and how to treat it, so why is the problem just getting worse?

So in short, how do we successfully tackle the obesity crisis?

If we can get the right laws out, we can. But if they do stuff like take away pop and sugar stuff from the schools, they should at least make the teachers follow the same rule. Becsue it is amazing how many kids will complain when you take there pop away and then drink it in front of them. They don't have to be super strict on eating, maybe just something like more physical education in a students life. Or a change in the lunch diet. But I don't know enough to think of a good law but I think we can somehow prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    BBC News - US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals

This article got me thinking about obesity, we are living in an age where so many people are classed as obese/overweight yet we know the causes and how to treat it, so why is the problem just getting worse?

So in short, how do we successfully tackle the obesity crisis?
    There are a multitude of "why" factors:
    1. Social norms accepting/favoring sedentary habits over active ones;
    2. Food content and quality (I'm looking at YOU, HFCS!);
    3. Food quantity and salinity;
    4. Observed shift from living in a small home on some land to living in either a concrete-and-steel box (apartment) or a large house on no land;
    5. Total inability of schools to serve anything other than fully-refined, high-fat, high-salt, low-fiber slop.

Now. The other part of the question is a "what to do" one. Obviously intervention in diet and behavior will play a role here. For me, I had an active childhood. My mother did most of the cooking, and we ate together. After moving out, I was so poor that I could only afford oatmeal for a long time. This, of course, was not exactly a good thing. Years of eating poorly have taken their toll on me, as it is expensive to eat high-quality food consistently. I'd not planned to live this long, anyway, so having to plan some sort of end-game is a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    There are a multitude of "why" factors:
    1. Social norms accepting/favoring sedentary habits over active ones;
    2. Total inability of schools to serve anything other than fully-refined, high-fat, high-salt, low-fiber slop.
    For the first one I agree, people in particular kids seem to have some sort of aversion to physical activity. When I was a kid most people I know had no issue doing sports and there was never anyone who just sat around and talked at play time, we just ran about playing games. Something a lot of kids I've seen have stopped doing. There needs to be some way of getting kids to exercise, parents seem so concerned about safety they won't let them go outside anymore.
    But as for the second point, while I agree with the statement I have to say why not give your kid a packed lunch. Which, if done properly, can be quite healthy. I know they aren't necessarily cheaper but still better for them in the long run.

And to calgarybaby, education doesn't always work. We've got a national campaign going over here and since it came out like 2 years ago the number of children eating their 5 a day has actually fallen according to statistics and so the way we educate the public needs to be done differently if they aren't responding to certain things.

The obesity problem would not exist if people would eat only what they need to exist in a healthy manor.

I was FAT I know all about it, I learned to eat what I needed to exist and function daily without stuffing my face constantly.

I am so sure the problem is limited to US Kids

I will agree to new laws and standards to regulate the shit food served in School but I will never agree with laws that tell children what they will and won't eat. We have very little freedom left in our country and I for one will not give up the simple free choice to eat whatever I damn well want to, from dead bleeding cow parts to chick peas. If I am not willing to give up the right to eat what I please I won't take that freedom from kids just because they are young and the government seems to think they have little to no freedom.

Why not make healthy food cheaper? How cheap is it to live off of ramen noodles, opposed to buying vegatables and high grade meat? Those with a low income can't afford to eat healthy, and it's quite sad.

I'm fat, but it's not like I sit at home all day stuffing my face with bad food. I eat moderately healthy (I'm no health freak, but I don't have candy and take out all the time), I eat normal portions, and I'm quite active. I could up my physical activity, but I can barely afford school, let alone a gym membership, and while I don't need that, it would help... not to mention having no time to go out and exercise. I have lots of things to pay, I need to work as much as I can, and on top of going to school and homework, I have little time for leisure activities.

So I think it goes beyond just telling people to stop eating unhealthy, and to get some exercise, it's just not that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    Why not make healthy food cheaper? How cheap is it to live off of ramen noodles, opposed to buying vegatables and high grade meat? Those with a low income can't afford to eat healthy, and it's quite sad.
    :rainbow: FFFFFFFF- I KNOW. You can either go and buy a bag of apples for pftttt 5 dollars, or you can get a crapload of crapola for 1 dollar. Seriously, people! The recession and the obesity rates go hand-in-hand. I swear, if more people used their brains, we might not have some of the issues that we have in the world. I have a very low tolerance for junk food, but I just want my half-cooked steak and my organic brown rice. ....and not have to waste a shitload of money at Whole Foods just so I won't be stuck on the toilet all night. If we gave out mother nature's fruits instead of profiting off of them, the world would be a great place to be for everybody, even people in poverty.

And Starshine, I know what you're sayin! I'm naturally big, not a ton a chub, but the bit that most girls have on a wider frame. And people assume that I stuff my face with chips and soda all day. And I'm just like "Dammit if all skinny people don't have anorexia, then all big people don't eat cheeseburgers all day, mkah?" KDFJLAFJDLAJ *girly rant of girlishness*

So, yes, it's not all about "OH EAT LESS, EXERCISE MOAR". You have to think of how expensive healthy food is. Oh, and consider the people like me who just naturally have a larger frame, but eat healthier than half the people they know. (Don't even bullshit me with the "that doesn't exist" crap. If it didn't, all people would have the same feet, same facial structure, and the same breasts. Everybody looks different thanks to DNA, and, yes, that includes how large their bones are.)

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten53 View Post
    For the first one I agree, people in particular kids seem to have some sort of aversion to physical activity. When I was a kid most people I know had no issue doing sports and there was never anyone who just sat around and talked at play time, we just ran about playing games. Something a lot of kids I've seen have stopped doing. There needs to be some way of getting kids to exercise, parents seem so concerned about safety they won't let them go outside anymore.
    But as for the second point, while I agree with the statement I have to say why not give your kid a packed lunch. Which, if done properly, can be quite healthy. I know they aren't necessarily cheaper but still better for them in the long run.

And to calgarybaby, education doesn't always work. We've got a national campaign going over here and since it came out like 2 years ago the number of children eating their 5 a day has actually fallen according to statistics and so the way we educate the public needs to be done differently if they aren't responding to certain things.
    Why not pack a lunch? Aha, you ask a good question here. I suspect it has lots to do with the fact that we seem to have moved away from involved parenting here--where parents are parents and children are children--and have moved toward many parents throwing money at their child and saying, "eat with this."

So. I suspect that parents aren't packing their child(ren)'s lunch(es) because they have: (a) increased demands on their time, fueled by (b) an unhealthy and unattainable emphasis on a certain lifestyle, which pushes their child(ren)'s lunch to the back of their mind.

Now, why can children not pack their own lunch and have it be full of nutritious, nutrient-dense foods? I'd suggest modeling is at work here: if the parents have modeled behavior that suggests eating crap on the go is how you live, how will you know better? Yes, there are educational campaigns, but knowing the proper path does not mean you'll walk it.

Good questions with, I believe, unfortunate answers.

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    I am so sure the problem is limited to US Kids

I will agree to new laws and standards to regulate the shit food served in School but I will never agree with laws that tell children what they will and won't eat. We have very little freedom left in our country and I for one will not give up the simple free choice to eat whatever I damn well want to, from dead bleeding cow parts to chick peas. If I am not willing to give up the right to eat what I please I won't take that freedom from kids just because they are young and the government seems to think they have little to no freedom.
    But that these whole foods would make it into the cafeteria! Bluntly: I'm not opposed to eating things that are fun. I love meat. I love fish. I really enjoy ALL foods. Frankly, if they were to bring in FRESH meat and make FRESH buns and season CONSERVATIVELY, it would be better all 'round if hamburgers were served day in, day out. It is not the type or variety of foods that I specifically call out above, but how they are prepared and processed.

I take that back: I did make mention of the high fat content coupled with the low fiber content. I'll stand by these, but you can make "bad" foods, from scratch, with whole-food components, into "not so bad" foods. For instance: mill in some flax seeds when preparing your unbleached whole-wheat hamburger bun dough. Instead of a wilted bit of lettuce, top with mushrooms, caramelized onions, and so forth. Hell, serve sweet potato fries rather than brought-in deep-friend French fries.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post

I'm fat, but it's not like I sit at home all day stuffing my face with bad food. I eat moderately healthy (I'm no health freak, but I don't have candy and take out all the time), I eat normal portions, and I'm quite active. I could up my physical activity, but I can barely afford school, let alone a gym membership, and while I don't need that, it would help... not to mention having no time to go out and exercise. I have lots of things to pay, I need to work as much as I can, and on top of going to school and homework, I have little time for leisure activities.

So I think it goes beyond just telling people to stop eating unhealthy, and to get some exercise, it's just not that simple.
    Lawdy, yes. It is EXPENSIVE to eat well. This simple fact has contributed greatly to my own personal fitness demise. I think I have pointed out above what happened once I left home (I ate oatmeal for 6 months because I was broke). And, guess what? Refined and processed crap is cheap, quick, and easy. And this is the trifecta-of-death for someone just entering into living on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by NeiNei View Post
    :rainbow: FFFFFFFF- I KNOW. You can either go and buy a bag of apples for pftttt 5 dollars, or you can get a crapload of crapola for 1 dollar. Seriously, people! The recession and the obesity rates go hand-in-hand. I swear, if more people used their brains, we might not have some of the issues that we have in the world. I have a very low tolerance for junk food, but I just want my half-cooked steak and my organic brown rice. ....and not have to waste a shitload of money at Whole Foods just so I won't be stuck on the toilet all night. If we gave out mother nature's fruits instead of profiting off of them, the world would be a great place to be for everybody, even people in poverty.

And Starshine, I know what you're sayin! I'm naturally big, not a ton a chub, but the bit that most girls have on a wider frame. And people assume that I stuff my face with chips and soda all day. And I'm just like "Dammit if all skinny people don't have anorexia, then all big people don't eat cheeseburgers all day, mkah?" KDFJLAFJDLAJ *girly rant of girlishness*

So, yes, it's not all about "OH EAT LESS, EXERCISE MOAR". You have to think of how expensive healthy food is. Oh, and consider the people like me who just naturally have a larger frame, but eat healthier than half the people they know. (Don't even bullshit me with the "that doesn't exist" crap. If it didn't, all people would have the same feet, same facial structure, and the same breasts. Everybody looks different thanks to DNA, and, yes, that includes how large their bones are.)
    Two things:
    1. Yeah. It's disgusting that it costs so little to eat poorly, and so much to eat well. Granted, you can defray that by making everything from scratch, but that takes a level of commitment that I myself honestly don't have;
    2. Insofar as "big not meaning unhealthy" ... how to put this ... well, I like to not feel like a girl will snap in half if we decide to get frisky. Seriously, though, yeah, you can be tiny and unhealthy. You can be big and healthy.