Thread: oxymoron

Default oxymoron

has anyone noticed that when a diaper states new and improved, it might be new but its never improved, latest case in point, unique wellness just a couple of months ago was one of the top three diapers in my experiences. my latest order is new and improved...not, the fit may be better but its absorbency is not as good and it appears that wetness weeps right through the plastic which is very strange because the plastic seems plenty thick, has anyone else experienced this new and improved falsehood?

Do you really expect any company to advertise anything they sell as being "new and not improved?" Because if they did, their products wouldn't sell very well. Companies use the "new and improved" marketing ploy as a means of attracting customers even if the quality of the new product is inferior.

Butterfly Mage

In the past fifteen years, I have not witnessed a single incident in which a diaper was redesigned for better quality. Indeed, the quality, regardless of brand, is always inferior after a redesign. I wonder if baby diapers are the same way?

I think "new and improved" refers their profit margin when a company releases a crappier product.

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    I think "new and improved" refers their profit margin when a company releases a crappier product.
    Bingo!

Butterfly Mage

I think baby diapers got resized for higher profits too. After all, when size 6 came out, size 5 shrunk. In reality, it's more like the new sizes are 4.74 and 5.25 instead of 5 and 6. The net result is that parents have to spend more and they get less.

TM is a wonderful thing that means something entirely different usually.

Quote Originally Posted by dyepurr View Post
    has anyone noticed that when a diaper states new and improved, it might be new but its never improved, latest case in point, unique wellness just a couple of months ago was one of the top three diapers in my experiences. my latest order is new and improved...not, the fit may be better but its absorbency is not as good and it appears that wetness weeps right through the plastic which is very strange because the plastic seems plenty thick, has anyone else experienced this new and improved falsehood?
    I haven't hear that since the '90's! The actual

This doesn't really sound like an oxymoron to me, though. An oxymoron is two or more contradictory words.

According to answers.com the actual definition is

A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

If anything, this is just something that's annoying.