Thread: Storing Plasic Pants/Cloth Diapers

Default Storing Plasic Pants/Cloth Diapers

So I have a question that I don't think has been talked about.

I have a pair of unworn plastic pants still folded up in that tiny bag and 3 Contour cloth diapers and no idea how to "correctly" store them to keep them in good condition.

Right now I just have the cloth stacked on top of each other loosely velcro'ed in my shelf cabinet so I am sure they are fine that way.

Main question is... Should I keep the plastic pants in the bag or fold them up in a certain way outside of it?

I would think inside the bag will be fine. Normally things don't get pack in a way that will harm them over time.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Tris View Post
    So I have a question that I don't think has been talked about.

I have a pair of unworn plastic pants still folded up in that tiny bag and 3 Contour cloth diapers and no idea how to "correctly" store them to keep them in good condition.

Right now I just have the cloth stacked on top of each other loosely velcro'ed in my shelf cabinet so I am sure they are fine that way.

Main question is... Should I keep the plastic pants in the bag or fold them up in a certain way outside of it?
    Air, heat and sunlight all attack vinyl. To get the most life from your vinyl pants keep new ones in their original sealed bags until you need to use them. Once you open the bag and unfold those pants you will smell that typical "new vinyl" odor. That actually is an oil which is part of vinyl, but it irritates skin.

The best thing to do is wash the new pants in some mild dishwashing detergent and warm water a couple of days before you need to wear them the first time. Let them air dry away from direct heat and sunlight until the odor fades. Now they are ready for wearing and when washed in only a hint of mild detergent and warm water they should last a long time. From what you described those could well be Kins products. Be sure to read the Kins washing suggestions. Every week I gather all my recently washed and air dried Kins vinyl pants into an old pillow case loosle tied. I put that in the dryer for the first 20 minutes of a cycle as I dry a load of cloth diapers. Then I remove the bag of vinyl pants, spread them out and put them away. This occasional warming in the dryer keep them soft as long as possible.

Your new contour diapers need a different approach. When the cloth, which I presume is cotton flannel, was manufactured, a starch called sizing was added to the threads. Sizing should be carefully washed out of diaper fabrics as soon after you receive them as possible.

The best way to remove sizing is to wash new cloth diapers with nothing else in the washing machine using warm water and Ivory Snow as the detergent. While the new diapers are wet either run them through a second cycle without any detergent, or include the still-wet new diapers with a load of worn diapers. Following that dry both new and used diapers in your usual way. If you want to preserve the new diapers for later wearing then separate them while folding and store them separately from your used diapers.

Angela is always on top of these sort of things, and maybe our best expert. I keep both my cloth diapers and my plastic pants in a closet. The vinyl pants don't get exposed to the sunlight, and actually, they often reside in a large plastic garbage bag in the closet. The cloth diapers are folded and stacked. They seem to be holding up very well.

They say when you are washing cloth diapers, use a detergent that has the fewest additives like Tide Clean. Use less than the suggested amount of detergent, and go for as many rinse cycles as your washer allows. Getting the detergent out of the fabric is important.

As for the plastic pants, I wash mine in the shower with a mild bath soap. Then I hang them on a plastic hanger to dry in the basement. I may try Angel's method. I think she is our resident Guru.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Angela is always on top of these sort of things, and maybe our best expert. I keep both my cloth diapers and my plastic pants in a closet. The vinyl pants don't get exposed to the sunlight, and actually, they often reside in a large plastic garbage bag in the closet. The cloth diapers are folded and stacked. They seem to be holding up very well.

They say when you are washing cloth diapers, use a detergent that has the fewest additives like Tide Clean. Use less than the suggested amount of detergent, and go for as many rinse cycles as your washer allows. Getting the detergent out of the fabric is important.

As for the plastic pants, I wash mine in the shower with a mild bath soap. Then I hang them on a plastic hanger to dry in the basement. I may try Angel's method. I think she is our resident Guru.
    Dog Boy, you do write the nicest thing. Here are ADISC everyone contributes, so we all benefit from the collective experience.

Tide is a fine product, and if it does not cause your skin problems then use it for diapers. I use DREFT for my working gauze diapers and Ivory Snow for the first wash of new cloth diapers. DREFT is designed for washing diapers. It is a mild detergent with borax. I find it is easest on my skin and costs no more than any other detergent because I need very little DREFT per load of diapers.

With respect, I do not recommend any sort of soap normally used for showering when washing vinyl pants. Bath soap tends to remove the plasticizers from vinyl faster than necessary, so the vinyl gets stiff and brittle sooner than if you use a gentler detergent. This is why I suggest using warm water that is not so hot it is uncomfortable on your hands and a drop or two of mild liquid dishwashing detergent. I use Palmolive, but generics work as well. The idea is to use just enough the water does not bead on the vinyl. Literally in a pint of the warm water a single drop is enough. Swish the pants around, then turn them inside out and swish them again. After the second swishing gently wring the water out of the elastic at the legs and waist. Then hang on a plastic hanger at room temperature. After an hour or so turn them the other way so both sides get a change to be on the outside. If you have enough space you can store plastic pants on the plastic hangers. Once dry I remove them from the hangers and store them flat in my shallow plastic panties drawer, with the most recently washed panties on the bottom of the stack.

The plastic pants is a Pull-on from llmedico and the contour from Tri County Cloth

For now since it seems it is better in its bag they will stay in the place they are since they are the safest and after a first washing of both, will move them over into the lower dresser drawer.

Thanks for the detailed information :3

Thanks Angela. I'm going to have to try that with the washing detergent. I'm all for stretching the life out of plastic pants and keeping them softer. Perhaps you know why some sites which manufacture cloth diapers warn against washing them with Dreft or Borax. That's where I picked that bit of information, or misinformation, up.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Thanks Angela. I'm going to have to try that with the washing detergent. I'm all for stretching the life out of plastic pants and keeping them softer. Perhaps you know why some sites which manufacture cloth diapers warn against washing them with Dreft or Borax. That's where I picked that bit of information, or misinformation, up.
    Warning against DREFT and borax makes no logical sense. Going back to the mid 1850s borax in water was the primary way to clean cloth used as diapers decades before diapers were made in factories. That only started about 1895. DREFT has been sold for washing infant clothing, especially diapers, for over 60 years. Of course these days fewer baby diapers are made of cloth.

When diaper manufacturers warn against bleach, they mean chlorine, not borax. DREFT includes borax.

Default Baby Oil / Vaseline / Desitin (Diaper Creme)

Be cafreful Baby Oil / Vaseline / Desitin (Diaper Creme) may cause your vinyl pants to stiffen, if they contact your plastic pants.

Baby powder does not affect vinyly pants / plastic pants.

I keep my rubber pants in a zip lock bag and out of the light, I also keep all of my plastic pants in the same place but I do not take any special care of them, I have had them for years without using , when I use them I never had a problem.