Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between cloth-backed and plastic-backed..?

Default Difference between cloth-backed and plastic-backed..?

Okay, I know that this may seem to have a painfully obvious answer, kind of like the joke about the old lady whose house was getting robbed: guess what she yelled? "What's the number for 911?!"

I know that the main difference between cloth-backed diapers and plastic-backed diapers is- well- one's cloth and one's plastic. (Duh.) But what do plastic-backed look and feel like? And how does that differ with cloth-backed?

I think a big factor is that a lot of people fetishize the plastic-backed diaper, particularly focusing on the smoothness and crinkle, much like a latex fetish or something of that nature. I'd figure it would be mostly brought on because the majority of this generation was raised in those kinds of diapers.

Since cloth-backed diapers are growing in widespread popularity, the plastic-backed supporters get sad and angry.

Basically, if you need a definition:
    Plastic-backed diapers have an outer layer of plastic, whereas cloth-backed ones have an outer layer of cloth-like material (which isn't as noisy or smooth; it's more quiet and softer to the touch).

Quote Originally Posted by sweetkiss View Post
    I think a big factor is that a lot of people fetishize the plastic-backed diaper, particularly focusing on the smoothness and crinkle, much like a latex fetish or something of that nature. I'd figure it would be mostly brought on because the majority of this generation was raised in those kinds of diapers.

Since cloth-backed diapers are growing in widespread popularity, the plastic-backed supporters get sad and angry.

Basically, if you need a definition:
    Plastic-backed diapers have an outer layer of plastic, whereas cloth-backed ones have an outer layer of cloth-like material (which isn't as noisy or smooth; it's more quiet and softer to the touch).
    It also lets skin breathe better.

Well, from what I can tell, plastic backed are less prone to leakage and the tapes are much stronger. On the other hand, cloth-like ones are less noisy and more breathable. It basically boils down to personal preference. I like plastic backed, probably because that's what was around when I was little, though I was in cloth diapers and plastic pants anyways.

Personally I prefer plastic backed diapers. Mostly becase of the way they feel. This is mostly for wider crotch diapers that rub my inner thighs. Most plastic backed diapers are nice and smooth and feel good rubbing on my legs. "cloth like" can rub be a little rough against the skin. Also not all "cloth-like" diapers are quieter than plastic backed diapers, as there is still a plastic layer under the cloth-like covering. Also plastic backed diapers use tapes to fasten where as most cloth backed diapers use velcro.

I like most grew up during a time were plastic back disposables where the only type available and because of this I do have a preference for plastic backed diapers but because pretty much all baby diapers now a days especially popular brands like pampers huggies and luvs are cloth backed I also like a bulky cloth backed diaper because the affinity has shifted for me a little for instance I buy cushies from abuniverse.com(my pt employer) which are plastic backed baby diaper look alikes w one tape on each side but lately have wished sometimes they are clothed backed... i have been experimenting w using pampers cruisers size 7(which I can barely fit) and merging/modifying them with a cloth backed adult diaper....the end result looks good enough and the numbers(financials) look good enough I may start making sizable quantities packaging them in different amounts and hawking them on ebay and a website...the abdls that have seen what I made so far have been very receptive and all willing to pay a premium to get a package....

Any how....the major difference for us is most grew up during a time when plastic was readily avaialable and so developed an attachment to plastic type diapers....I think some of us are coming around to likeing cloth backed since there are some pluses... For me its mostly the crinkle...that I'm into...the noise that announces you are diapered...the feeling of the plastic also has some appeal...but I also like the feel of softness u get with cloth and some cloth backed ones do have a nice crinkle...!!! Oh and the idea is that plastic backed holds more but the holding power really is brand specific...if you lined up all the cloth backed and plastic backed and averaged the holding power results they would be about the same...

I only wear plastic backed, I did try the cloth like covers they seemed to leak quicker and wick moisture thru the outside cover which meant I could not stay in them as long as the plastic backed.

I have no problems buying plastic backed most manufactures still offer plastic..

angelabauer

First of all, those disposable diapers are not made of conventional cloth. They are termed "cloth-like" because the outer layer consists of a super-thin sheet of poly plastic and a slightly thicker layer of spun non-woven plastic fibers which can work with hook and loop fastening systems.

The original selling point in baby diapers was that cloth-like stretches more and ventilates better. Since both cloth-like and classic poly-plastic are waterproof, chances are slim any ventilation happens through the outer layer. The ventilation is a result of the legs and waist pulling small gaps with movement. Of course that becomes a major problem when cloth-like are worn in bed. Poly-plastic slides on sheets and blankets, while cloth-like clings to bedding, pulling gaps larger than when worn during times of activity.

An original hidden benefit to C-L is that many mothers preferred the feel of C-L on their arm while carrying their infant. The baby could not tell the difference. Eventually the manufacturers found that it was easier to make diapers using C-L and that in shipment and storage C-L out performed poly plastic. Hook and Loop fasteners can be repositioned easily. There is no sticky adhesive to go stale, vastly increasing shelf-life.

I buy and wear both C-L and poly plastic adult disposables. During the day when I am awake, I wear C-L because I can release a side to pull them down when I need to use a toilet to poop. When I am so sick I am staying in bed, I wear poly-plastic because they leak less. After years of practice I do not need to re-position to get the first fit right. After I poop in those I would never re-use that diaper.

Some parents of infants through toddler I know in my community stock two or more styles of disposables. In those sizes poly-plastic is very difficult to buy, but within the C-L kind there are subtle differences. The gap-pulling is less an issue with babies because they generally wear covering over the diaper. I am prepared myself to wear a Onesies with C-L diapers should the poly-plastic go out of production. In diapers, where there is a will there is a way!

I was born in classic poly-plastic, I will live in classic poly-plastic, and most likely will die in classic poly-plastic. I do want to try classic pin-on cloth diapers though.

i use both plastic and cloth like.when you have to be discrete cloth like is the way to go.cloth like is also better in the hotter part of the year.