Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a bad idea?

June

Default Is this a bad idea?

So I want to order some abenas or bambinos from the Internet. I really don't want to risk my parents finding them, so I think I have an idea.

There are a few foreclosed/for sale houses on my street. I was thinking of ordering the diapers, and on the shipping information, putting one of those houses' addresses, and then retrieving them when they arrive. Then I can stash them in my closet. I have a feeling that this is a bad idea, but is there a way to make this work? Could I remove the "for sale" sign or something? Please explain to me if this idea would work and what would probably happen if I tried it.
    Last edited by June; 22-Apr-2010 at 02:10. Reason: Clarity

Go with your gut. In other words, my friend, this could go very wrong. You already have a notion that this is not a failsafe plan; don't risk losing any $$$ or your integrity in the process.

Perhaps you can have them shipped to the nearest UPS store within biking/walking distance? Can they do that?

Your plan might work but here are some things to consider:

I don't think the presence of a 'for sale' sign would raise any red flags. Any delivery guy would just assume that the people who live there are selling their house. The problem is that you'd have to be watching those houses pretty much all day to see when they get delivered.

Something you need to be aware of is who the package would be shipped with and what they do if no one answers the door. For example, I know from experience that Purolator just leaves a note on the door saying to come pick up your package from the shipping centre within four days or it'll be returned to the sender. Other shipping companies might just leave the package at the door if no one is home or they might require you to come and pick it up. This could present a problem if you live a considerable distance from a shipping centre and don't have an easy way of getting there.

2low

both ups and purolator do the note thing and pick up at there place if no one is there to sign for the package ! you would need for signing to no sig required on delevering items or to just drop it if no ones answers

might check on this ,

I don't know how it is for you in the US but here in the UK with some online ordering companies you do have the option of specific delivery instructions.
    If any of the properties you mention are already empty you could sneak a look around the side or back yard to find a secure spot where they could be left without signature and specify this spot in the specific delivery instructions.
    This could then leave you the time to collect your 'package' at will without the worry of having to keep a look out for the delivery arriving or someone else coming across your package either.

Since your parents would likely see you going to the other house, the only risk this doesn't present is your parents being the ones to answer the door. I want to say you can rent a po box at your local post office pretty cheap and have it sent there, and you can pick it up when you want to.

I did this years ago when I was younger, it can work..

Keep in mind that due to the thickness XPlus/Bambino take up significantly more space than store brand diapers like depends, so they are not as easy to hide.. don't order too many.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrami View Post
    Since your parents would likely see you going to the other house, the only risk this doesn't present is your parents being the ones to answer the door. I want to say you can rent a po box at your local post office pretty cheap and have it sent there, and you can pick it up when you want to.
    I have been thinking about buying a PO but what do they do with the package if it doesn't fit in that tiny box?

If someone moves they always redirect there mail to the new address, so if you use the post office for delivery you package may go to the new address listed at the post office.

You are way better off just having it dropped at the ups store, or send it to a friend to hold for you.

On the post office question, if you buy a box at the post office if the package is bigger than the box you rent, they hold it for you in the back and put a note in you box.

Quote Originally Posted by Omorashi View Post
    I have been thinking about buying a PO but what do they do with the package if it doesn't fit in that tiny box?
    USPS - PO Box Options

22.5" x 12" Seems to be the largest size. Couldn't seem to find anything about anything larger.