Thread: Vevo and Censorship

Default Vevo and Censorship

Vevo is that thing that's been taking over every single music video on YouTube.

They also like to censor stuff:
    YouTube - Sublime - What I Got

In that song, they censored the lyrics "I can play the guitar like a mother-fucking riot", and also "I don't get angry when my mom smocks pot, hits the bottle and drives to the rock" (words in bold are censored).

This isn't the first music video of Sublime's they've censored. Pretty much every song of theirs has swears or drugs in it, so they censor all those too. Pretty crummy.

Here's a comment that I think sums it up nicely:

if you're going to censor the life out of the song, don't post it. children's ears? the english language isn't all "flowers" and "dollies", wake the fuck up and realize that if you're on the internet, you're going to be exposed to real life. it's not like you don't hear that on the street every day. it's music, it should be expressed the way the artist intended.
    So, what do you think? Vevo: the worst thing to hit YouTube? And if anyone could clarify why we even have Vevo, that'd be cool too, because I don't know the origins behind it.

(Happy 420!)

I hate vevo. Not only does it censor like hell, but it takes FOREVER for a song to load. The buffering time is ridiculously long and annoying, by the time i let it all load i could have listened to the same song at least 10 times.

Vevo, like Google, is indeed the worst thing to hit Youtube. Youtube is dying.. there's no need to add more cancer with Vevo.

Vevo takes forever to buffer. The censorship is annoying enough already, but it's all too much hype. Vevo is full of themselves.

Vevo apparently calls itself the "Hulu" of music videos. All it does is take forever to load, add a shitload of addons to the page itself "I don't want to see another fucking Justin Bieber music video okay!" and all of its videos are DRM free which means Real Player can't download the video off the browser. That gets me the most, but it is just music companies teaming up to make profit on their music videos. At least I am happy though that all old school hip hop videos aren't on Vevo. But with the issue of censorship though, I do think that music videos are just like that, because aren't they supposed to be censored anyway? Let me check this MGMT video to see a clear mistake!

MGMT- Time to Pretend

I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.
    Let's make some music, make some money, find some models for wives.
    I'll move to Paris, shoot some heroin, and fuck with the stars.
    You man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars.
    This is the first verse of the song, and a clear case of VEVO not censoring music as they are supposed to! Plus its a great song!

MGMT- Time to Pretend - VEVO

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    But with the issue of censorship though, I do think that music videos are just like that, because aren't they supposed to be censored anyway? Let me check this MGMT video to see a clear mistake!
    Never heard of that before. When you play a song on the radio or the television, you have to censor the song according to that region's laws, ya, but the internet isn't a country.

They want to just protect the little boys and girls around the world, plus the music videos on VEVO are probably the same ones that people used to watch on the ancient Music Video channel called MTV. Low key music videos don't have the censorship issues, but the big labels just do it using the music videos that are censored for TV. Just whack.

Eazy-E - Real Muthafukkin G's

I've seen things on television that were so censored because of the extreme language, that I had no idea what they were saying. Like said above, why bother to air it at all if it's going to be censored and chopped to threads. I also dislike seeing movies on the cable networks which are censored. Too much artistic creativity is lost.

There is no real point in censoring it, kids here those words on the street or if they switch on late night TV, I learned every swear word from listening to my dad before age 7.

It's not too bad if it's only 1 or 2 words being censored, I can live with that. But it's when they go overboard and start censoring words which really don't need to be that I get annoyed. For example Papa Roach's Last Resort, a song about committing suicide

Suffocation, no breathing, don't give a fuck if I cut my arm bleeding.

I can understand why they'd censor fuck but cut and bleeding (a) don't need to be censored, they don't do it on TV so why do it on Youtube? (b) completely ruins the song to the point where it is unlistenable.
    So frankly I hate Vevo for most songs but then again not all bands have a Vevo channel and also if you look a little further down the list you will almost certainly find an uncensored version.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've seen things on television that were so censored because of the extreme language, that I had no idea what they were saying. Like said above, why bother to air it at all if it's going to be censored and chopped to threads. I also dislike seeing movies on the cable networks which are censored. Too much artistic creativity is lost.
    I agree. As we saw in another thread, it really ********** mangles the ********* ******** and ********** for ********* in the *********** with ************ and *********, or even ********** and a can of Pringles.

Really!