Thread: Netflix on TV

Default Netflix on TV

Netflix has been available on TV through X-Box, and various Blue Ray players for a while.

I am pleased to announce that I too have the capability for instant viewing on TV. A disc that allows access through the Wii is now available from Netflix.

I think it is awesome!
    Now I can stream movies while I type such scintillating messages as this.

My dad got Netflix's special "Roku" player so that he could watch stuff instantly on the TV downstairs. It's pretty cool, though for some reason it decides to reset itself every once in a while and we have to re-authorize it. I personally just like watching on my computer, that way I can be sedentary in front of just one device, instead of 2.

I've got the disc for my PS3. Greatest. Thing. Ever.

My Wii is finally being used now, so im pretty happy.

Only bad part is there's less then 10 movies in my DVD que and the ones Iput down for it are all long waits. Which is odd considering its really only Totoro and Whip It.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    My Wii is finally being used now, so im pretty happy.

Only bad part is there's less then 10 movies in my DVD que and the ones Iput down for it are all long waits. Which is odd considering its really only Totoro and Whip It.
    Yeah, but Totoro is badass!

I'm thinking about re-visiting a DVR/PVR system at some point. Dunno if I'll go MythTV again or give Boxee a shot. I know that Boxee has a Netflix plugin; when I finish up here and move, I'll likely go the Netflix route and build the PVR system.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post

I'm thinking about re-visiting a DVR/PVR system at some point. Dunno if I'll go MythTV again or give Boxee a shot. I know that Boxee has a Netflix plugin; when I finish up here and move, I'll likely go the Netflix route and build the PVR system.
    I would just recommend a low/high budget PC connected to your TV. Then you can stream Hulu, Netflix, etc to your TV and even do computing on it. I got this idea of turning my TV into a command like center.. consoles, dish network, computer, surveillance system, etc all on one TV and most likely a computer monitor. It can be done and it's pretty damn easy to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I would just recommend a low/high budget PC connected to your TV. Then you can stream Hulu, Netflix, etc to your TV and even do computing on it. I got this idea of turning my TV into a command like center.. consoles, dish network, computer, surveillance system, etc all on one TV and most likely a computer monitor. It can be done and it's pretty damn easy to do now.
    Yes.

But to do it right requires attention and care--more than I have right now. For example, sure you could slap together a typical ATX-based case and stick it next to / inside an entertainment center, but it's loud. It's hot. It's inefficient. I'd prefer to go with something like either an ITX-format system or (more likely) an ATX-based system in a specialty case (e.g. Silverstone) that looks like a real component rather than a computer that is just hanging out by the television.

For me, the two biggest concerns are noise and the ability to blend in to the surrounding components. This points me down the road of either shoe-horning components into a specialty enclosure, or going with an embedded system with monstrous dual- (or quad-) tuners and GPUs to suit.

I've gone the "random computer hanging out by the TV" route before, and it's functional but not pretty. Also not quiet. Next time, I'll probably spend much more time, effort, and money and do this better.

Also, right now I have no TV, so I do my infrequent TV-watching through Hulu anyway.