Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackintosh

Default Hackintosh

I'm looking to build a hackintosh to replace my poor thrashed-to-death G4-based iBook laptop.

I've decided that I'll combine the two boxes in one. As most of my "serious writing" tools and so forth are on the Apple, I'm looking to build a Hackintosh system.

Has anyone on here successfully built such a system using COTS parts? I don't want stories of someone's neighbor's friend's dog's owner building one, but I want direct accounts. If you have, I'd like to know what hardware you're running. I'm looking for something that'll be as turn-key as possible, as I want to build and go rather than build, screw with KEXTes, munge around some more, then find that I'll never have sound.

Thanks!

Note: I have two Apple-built, -branded, and -based systems. Both use G4 processors, which means they're pretty slow at this point. I also have legal copies of everything on these systems, and will buy a copy of Snow Leopard. So I'll have a retail DVD to work with.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'm looking to build a hackintosh to replace my poor thrashed-to-death G4-based iBook laptop.

I've decided that I'll combine the two boxes in one. As most of my "serious writing" tools and so forth are on the Apple, I'm looking to build a Hackintosh system.

Has anyone on here successfully built such a system using COTS parts? I don't want stories of someone's neighbor's friend's dog's owner building one, but I want direct accounts. If you have, I'd like to know what hardware you're running. I'm looking for something that'll be as turn-key as possible, as I want to build and go rather than build, screw with KEXTes, munge around some more, then find that I'll never have sound.

Thanks!

Note: I have two Apple-built, -branded, and -based systems. Both use G4 processors, which means they're pretty slow at this point. I also have legal copies of everything on these systems, and will buy a copy of Snow Leopard. So I'll have a retail DVD to work with.
    There's your problem, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Error404 View Post
    There's your problem, right there.
    That's nice. Care to help, or are you just going to troll?

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    That's nice. Care to help, or are you just going to troll?
    Just troll. <3

There's quite a few of motherboards, GPUs, CPUs, etc that are completely compatible with OSx86. People tend to build their machines around this, and when done correctly you can do it and run pretty much vanilla. A Core 2 Quad on an Intel P45 or P43 chipset, paired with a 9500GT from nVidia will work nearly vanilla! There's a lot of other combos that can be used as well, depending on people's budgets. What's your budget?

If you want an easy solution, you could try Lifehacker's Guides. There doesn't seem to be too much fiddling in the terminal and in the firmware, and it's been tested by quite a few people (I believe). I haven't tried it, but Lifehacker is definitely a trustworthy site. Once everything is installed, it would appear you can also upgrade safely up to 10.6.3.

My only hackintosh experience is with a Lenovo S-10e netbook, which isn't exactly what you're looking for. For the record though, it works flawlessly, just like a real mac.

And if you didn't already see it in the link that thanksforallthefish provided, here's an update that should make things even easier: Install Snow Leopard on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required - Hackintosh - Lifehacker

Basically, someone compiled all of the Terminal commands into an installer. What cake. I'd try it out if I needed a new computer and had the money for parts.

Brilliant!

I'm off to look at links.

The budget for this is ~$800 or so. That should cover:
    • Case (solid, black, soundproof);
    • CPU;
    • RAM;
    • Motherboard;
    • Possibly a power-supply.

I've got all other components.

I would love to build a hackintosh (not enough money right now), but I'm not sure they're legal. I know Apple doesn't approve, but that's just because hackintoshes mean less profit for them. Nonetheless, good luck on your project.