Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patriotism in other countries

Default Patriotism in other countries

I was watching Rammstein's Pussy video and one part that I always found funny is when Til (lead vocals) resities the corius with a German flag in the background mixed with shots of him dancing with a German flag. This got me wondering. Here in America we love the flag, we put it on every thing from licens paltes to condoms (haven't seen them but wouldn't be surprised if they were made.)

How do other countries portray their love for their nations flags and other symbols of Patriotism?

Well from the month and a half I spent in Koln Germany I learned that the only time Germans will ever wave the flag with any sense of national pride is if there is a world cup being held in their country at the time. At least that's what everyone told me. From what I gathered Germans don't usually like to show off symbols of national pride or patriotism, and really haven't had the desire to do so since 1945 for obvious reasons. However, when Germans do show patriotism instead of using symbol such as a flag they will show their patriotism in sports athletes, companies, products that they make, food, and BEER.

This was my experience as an outsider looking in at another culture.

England flag = Football!
    Union Jack = Racism

Actually, in the Noughties the Union Jack became a fashion symbol, part of the 'cool Britannia' fashion thing that happened. I guess now I see the Union Jack as a symbol of our recent cultural exporting.

I think British people will complain about Britain and be very unpatriotic, but if asked "Which country is better, Britain or X?" the answer will probably always be Britain. (Probably with a detailed criticism and stereotyping of X)

I always think that British people would feel more warm about a picture of the UK than to the flag, I know I do. And in Northern Ireland the Union Jack isn't popular. In fact the Union Jack isn't really used by the government or on official stuff (e.g. driving licences) because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post

I think British people will complain about Britain and be very unpatriotic, but if asked "Which country is better, Britain or X?" the answer will probably always be Britain. (Probably with a detailed criticism and stereotyping of X)
    Whats this probably stuff all about?

Britain is the best, we moan about it so much because we are British, it's just our way.

And St George's Cross is always about football, whenever England play they are everywhere particularly pubs, we are very patriotic about the England team (well when they're winning :p), it's why we blame a scapegoat for all of their losses.

To be honest, I feel like America has a monopoly on the word "patriot". They go far beyond patriotic and into the realm of egotistical.

I think Canada is great and I love living here, but I wouldn't claim it is the best country on Earth. I think it suits my personal preferences, but that doesn't make it inherently better than another country. I would say certain countries are better than others, for instance I believe that Canada is better than North Korea, however if it came down to Canada and Britain or USA or most first world countries (ignoring Australia because of their stupid censorship laws which I think infringe on the rights of consenting adults to buy video games) than I think they are too similar to say one is better than another. All countries have their merits and their faults.

There are Americans I have spoken to that actually believe that the US is the best country in the world. I tried to argue that America is a rather intolerant nation as a whole and they really couldn't see it. I think that "patriotism" sometimes blinds people to the faults of the country they live in.

I am proud to be a Canadian, but I also know that it isn't the "best" country in the world.

annierighthurr

South Koreans put their flag on anything and everything, and there is tons of shit with just their country colors too. It's just as bad as the US if not worse.

I don't believe the US is the best country in the world, but having lived in different countries, and especially Korea, I can say I am damn grateful for having been born there rather then somewhere else for the most part, if simply for the quality of life.

The UK seems to have a fleeting relationship with the Union Flag. Olympics? It's everywhere. The Queens about? Everywhere. All other times, as Charlie said the flag has a dirgy relation with racism, and the far right. It's a strange situation, but if you flew a flag on your house outside of the olympics and other events like that it wouldn't go too well - probably you'd be thought to vote for the BNP (who aren't very nice!).

It's a shame. It's a very nice flag.

Default Mark Twain "The War Prayer"

I always liked Twain's take on Patriotism and Religion, it always struck a familiar chord with me. Glad to share this with you. (Got me suspended from High School during the Viet Nam era protests I participated in).

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

I do think most countries are more reserved about showing national pride that the US are. In Canada, there is certainly more regional pride that in the US. There is a real difference between the identity of different parts of the country. I do think, however, that most people here are proud of what has been build over the last 150 odd years, and that it is worth defending. I would not be so bold as to say that Canada is the greatest country in the world, especially since I am not too well traveled, but its a damn nice and diverse land. Oh, and any country with Quebecois and Ontarian living next to one another has to be made of win ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by annierighthurr View Post
    South Koreans put their flag on anything and everything, and there is tons of shit with just their country colors too. It's just as bad as the US if not worse.

I don't believe the US is the best country in the world, but having lived in different countries, and especially Korea, I can say I am damn grateful for having been born there rather then somewhere else for the most part, if simply for the quality of life.

yes and in regards to that, ive heard ALOT of unsavory things about SK's 'patriotism' especally in relation to exactly whatit did or didnt invent.

but for ME, being the grandson of migrants on both sides of the family you feel an obligation to support your contry of heritage and of origon, for those like peachy and those british people.its easier, often yor country of residenceis our history.
    but being greek-australiamn, well, you can imagine the 'patriotism' that results, lots of aussie and greek flags especiall on public holidays, in that respect its alot like how americans do it.