Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Desktop, suggestions wanted

Default Building a Desktop, suggestions wanted

I am building a new computer, and had 3 different choices here before but building one is better overall than going with a HP recertified with what I would have to change on it.

Below is different picks for gear choices.

Total: $574.96

* Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - $199.99

* MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $119.99

* HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 - $149.99

* A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333G (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model - $104.99

My computer specs are here

Ordered the above. Thank you for the suggestions!
    Last edited by Tris; 14-Apr-2010 at 04:59. Reason: Updation

Get ATI if going with AMD.

# 2 is the best for the price unless he wants to spend another. 200$

You sure you want a micro ATX board? Fitting big graphics cards or CPU coolers on these boards can be problematic, if you ever decide to upgrade. Also, don't forget, you're going to need a power supply, and you might think about replacing the stock CPU cooler; they tend to be loud and aren't particularly efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    You sure you want a micro ATX board? Fitting big graphics cards or CPU coolers on these boards can be problematic, if you ever decide to upgrade. Also, don't forget, you're going to need a power supply, and you might think about replacing the stock CPU cooler; they tend to be loud and aren't particularly efficient.
    I am reusing parts that are not here from my current system since they are newer/still viable.

I saw a Full ATX board but ran on everything other than I3 it seemed and everything else seems to be another $60+ >.<

I looked and saw nothing that would keep the total under $600 for a newer board.

Also, if you suggest another case, let me know! For $70 that one is decent but it does look a bit odd since the HDs are faced with the mobo and video card. Might have to take a second look at that myself still

Fudgebunny

hi
    now i will answer why the amd is more than the intel you have quoted
    you are comparing a dual core intel to a quad core amd
    so if you look at the tripple core it will be cheeper etc

My problem is I have one group of friends that is Intel and ATI, and another that is AMD and NVIDIA...

So both are telling me different things and was linked to what I have there after talking with the AMD crowd so it was better than what the Intel group suggested, even though the price is more expensive.

Makes me want to

A Core i3 is definitely not worth the price at the moment. I would go with an i5, or a LGA775 board with a Core 2 Quad such as the Q9550, Q9650, or E8400 if you want a dual core. I'm an nVidia fan but a 5770 kicks a lot of ass and will definitely please you! Otherwise from the CPU, I say that's some good chosen parts.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by mm3 View Post
    A Core i3 is definitely not worth the price at the moment. I would go with an i5, or a LGA775 board with a Core 2 Quad such as the Q9550, Q9650, or E8400 if you want a dual core. I'm an nVidia fan but a 5770 kicks a lot of ass and will definitely please you! Otherwise from the CPU, I say that's some good chosen parts.
    I can vouch for the i5.

That quad-core fiend is my baby's baby. :3