Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: North Korea and Iran

Default North Korea and Iran

The title is simple. The question is fairly simple too

What are your opinions on the countries of North Korea, and Iran?

N. Korea: A communist state [country] led by a power-hungry dictator (KIM Jong II). The people are brainwashed by their government, their lives are poor and often stricken with poverty, and escaping is difficult. The government spews anti-West (Western nations) propaganda, and communications in and out of the country are closely monitored. Just a generally shitty country.

Oh, and they lie about having nukes.

Source:

Iran: A theocratic republic. (Republic: A system where representatives vote on issues, not people.) (Theocracy: A system where the country has a supreme ruler, and a group of religious officials interpret his laws.) So basically, they're under the rule of whatever the supreme ruler says. Already, you can see a flaw. Sure, the representatives can vote to remove him, but the People have no say.

This is the same country that: Is obviously developing nuclear weapons, fails to uphold standards set by the United Nations, oppresses women, and claims to be "free of gay people." (Maybe that's because they fucking slaughter anyone who's gay.)

Source:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my opinion, I'd like to see both of the governments overthrown. In North Korea, Kim Jong is obviously a crazy dictator who oppresses his people. Iran is worse, they kill their citizens if they don't like them for any particular reason.

What do you all think about these countries?

--The Foxxeh Assassin--

North Korea is a shitty situation - they may lie about having nukes, and the people may be crushingly oppressed and fed absolute bullshit in the place of actual news, but they do have enough conventional artillery pointed directly at Seoul, South Korea to level the city a dozen times over. Any attack would have to happen so fast that the North wouldn't have time to fire off their munitions, but even a small tactical nuke wouldn't work because Seoul is too close to the DMZ to be protected from the effects, not to mention the fallout would be very, very bad - both nuclear and political. China would not take kindly to that, and the fallout would spread to other countries, including Japan. A reunification plan would have to be drafted WAY before a takeover, anyway.

As for Iran, the US overthrew them once before, and it led to the current state of affairs. Iran was a democratically elected state until they elected a government that wasn't friendly to US and British oil interests, so the CIA arranged a coup in 1953. As a result of the backlash, the CIA-backed government fell in what has been called the Islamic Revolution, when Ayatollah Khomeini took back power over the country in the late 70s and turned it in to a theocratic Islamic state. Khomeini then was basically the Saddam Hussein of the 80s (ironically, Saddam Hussein's opposition of Khomeini is what led to the US government to support Hussein, giving him money, conventional and chemical weapons that he later used on the Kurds and political credibility, as well as tinkering with Iraqi elections to put him in to power).

Basically, the Western world has fucked around with Iran a lot in the past 50 years, and each time, it's made things worse. It's probably best to cut the losses there.

North Korea I just flat out don't like. Kim Jong Il is a brutal dictator and I think North Korea has the worst human rights record of any country on the planet. I think the term "generally shitty country" is an understatement. It may very well be the shittiest country a person can live in.

Being Jewish, I have a very strong dislike of the Iranian government. It really does bug me to see their president deny the holocaust and call for Israel's destruction. Plus the killing of gays and political dissents just makes me hate them even more.

I would very much like to see both of these governments overthrown but, if Iraq was any indication, direct intervention through military action would just create a lot more problems.

North Korea is an insane child with chemical and biological weapons. Not a great combination.

Mind you that the DPRK just sunk* a ROK Corvette via mine or torpedo in ROK waters.

Iran just can't seem to catch a break, can it? It deposes one tyrannical government for another. I say support the new revolutionaries. It can't get much worse.

*probably

'Overthrowing' both countries is a bad concept - nation-building tends to not work.

Iran has so many internal population pressures and fractures that things are going to change one way or another.

North Korea exists as a functioning country (defined LOOSELY) as long as China is willing to support it at a low-level.

To be frank, Iran is going to get a nuclear weapon. We need to be ready to deal with this new reality, not to pretend it's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    'Overthrowing' both countries is a bad concept - nation-building tends to not work.

Iran has so many internal population pressures and fractures that things are going to change one way or another.
    Off the top of my head, I can't think of any situation where nation-building was a real success.

North Korea exists as a functioning country (defined LOOSELY) as long as China is willing to support it at a low-level.
    North Korea doesn't really get much support from China. It gets WAY more from the UN and the US as air-dropped food bundles and through what little diplomatic means exist. North Korea explains this to its people as the world paying tribute to Dear Leader in exchange for not invading everyone else. Yes, that's actually the line the North Koreans are fed. The only support China gives is not allowing anyone to steamroll in over the northern border because China likes having that buffer between them and the heavily US-friendly South Korea. That lets North Korea focus everything they have on the DMZ, to the point where the DPRK/China border is little more than a river. There's some fences and the occasional guard tower, but most of that is on the Chinese side.

To be frank, Iran is going to get a nuclear weapon. We need to be ready to deal with this new reality, not to pretend it's not going to happen.
    Best guess is that they're at least a decade away from this, and even this could be avoided if they received international assistance in building safe nuclear reactors. Something in the Gen3 range, with passive safety systems and not enough fissionable material to make a bomb. A pebble-bed or CANDU reactor would be ideal. Besides, refining weapons-grade materials is much harder to do than reactor-grade, and if the UN/US/anyone else took any interventionist steps to prevent Iranian nuclear capability, it wouldn't be long before things got worse again.

North Korea is so messed up I don't think I even have the words for it. So here's a photo of one of Pyungyang's busiest streets at rush hour.

and the wierd thing is that seuol is dividing its attention to argue willy nilly with japan. mopstly crying over damage done during the annexation.

korea, im angry with ALOT has, to many, passed off hapkido, tae-kwon-do and 'kumdo' as their own for a while. whereas theyre basing WHATEVER little martial arts korea had and topping it up HEAVILY with what they learned from the annexation.. korea ANNOYS me that way, and this is SOUTH, democratic korea.

and some 'crackpot' based in california, is commtting BLATENT martial arts fraud. by claiming to teach a style of ninjutsu that is KOREAN, and passing off techniques like wing chun butterfly swords, okinawan sai and korean 'sraightsword', actually, chinese. and claiming more or less that mostly everything known for in japan, that korea had a dissproportionate hand in its conception.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    North Korea is so messed up I don't think I even have the words for it. So here's a photo of one of Pyungyang's busiest streets at rush hour.
    This just proves that Dear Glorious Leader cares about the environment, so he restricts polluting, non-juche vehicles to those that really need it.

Hail Leader!

annierighthurr

I don't believe that N. Korea lies about having nukes, but I do know a lot about the situation due to my military boyfriend working 2 hours from the North Korean border. Having lived there for 3 months also, you would be amazed at what the US news doesn't tell you.

While I won't comment much, I will tell you that the day after the North Koreans sunk a South Korean navy shift last month, my boyfriend disappeared into work for 15 hours. You can use whatever opinion you want there, but to me that signifies the US is worried about... SOMETHING.

The biggest thing though is what Curt always tells me. The North Koreans are crazy and Kim Jong-Il is off his freaken rocker, and there is genocide and dictatorship going on, but it really doesn't matter. There is nothing of value there. The only country NK holds any value towards is China, and so the US will never instigate anything with NK in order to be on good terms with China. The only reason the US gives a crap about NK and has troops in SK is in the event of nuclear action, which becomes more and more feasible as Kim Jong-Il gets older and more sick (and more nuttier), and there becomes a bigger struggle for power within NK.

Personally, I am glad to be away from Korea as a whole now, and will be relieved in 11 days when my boyfriend also doesn't have to deal with that shit anymore.
    Last edited by annierighthurr; 11-Apr-2010 at 16:24.