Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Millitary Fires on Journalists.

Olivia

Unhappy US Millitary Fires on Journalists.

Not sure if you have seen this but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPr...layer_embedded
    (WARNING! DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO SEE INNOCENT CIVILIANS MURDERED!)

It is disturbing this happened, we're supposed to be there protecting people and stopping this stuff from happening.

What's worse is they opened fire once more afterwords on MORE INNOCENT people trying to help the wounded, this is a hanus war crime committed by the United States Armed Forces, it sickens me these guys are supposed to represent our country when they open fire on civilians.

They mistook a camera for a rpg and camera stands for AK-47's the military has said after this came to see the light of day, and they will not reopen the probe investigation of the matter they have further said.

It is a sad day when you see this kind of video appear with civilians being killed from the country claiming to be there to defend the rights of the people there.

Sadly, incidents of ' collateral damage ' and ' friendly fire ' happen in a war zone.

Saw this on wikileaks a few days ago, got kind of sick.

On one hand, they did believe they were all armed (at least one man had a gun). On the other hand, they're laughing as they shoot them. And at one point one of the gunners says, "Come on, buddy. All you gotta do is pick up a weapon" to one of the survivors.

And then they fired on a van full of civilians who stopped to help, killing more and injuring two children.

The two journalists work for Reuters, and Reuters has been trying for years to get this video.

Most of you know I support the military unyieldingly, However, I am sickened by the cavalier and just bullshit arrogance of the apache crews.

In war journalist have to accept that they will be killed as a matter of course, a battlefield is not a safe place and a camera and a press pass is not a magic shield that makes you invincible.

I wish I could be certain that if they had known children were in the van they would not have fired but given what that moron LT says "shouldn't have brought kids to a warzone". WTF over.

If this had been an enlisted man that fucked it this bad he would have been crucified but since it is a jackass fly boy officer, nothing happened to them.

Olivia

Quote Originally Posted by fifigal View Post
    Sadly, incidents of ' collateral damage ' and ' friendly fire ' happen in a war zone.
    Yes they do indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Saw this on wikileaks a few days ago, got kind of sick.

On one hand, they did believe they were all armed (at least one man had a gun). On the other hand, they're laughing as they shoot them. And at one point one of the gunners says, "Come on, buddy. All you gotta do is pick up a weapon" to one of the survivors.

And then they fired on a van full of civilians who stopped to help, killing more and injuring two children.

The two journalists work for Reuters, and Reuters has been trying for years to get this video.
    I kind of figured they've been working to get it with the families.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    Most of you know I support the military unyieldingly, However, I am sickened by the cavalier and just bullshit arrogance of the apache crews.

In war journalist have to accept that they will be killed as a matter of course, a battlefield is not a safe place and a camera and a press pass is not a magic shield that makes you invincible.

I wish I could be certain that if they had known children were in the van they would not have fired but given what that moron LT says "shouldn't have brought kids to a warzone". WTF over.

If this had been an enlisted man that fucked it this bad he would have been crucified but since it is a jackass fly boy officer, nothing happened to them.

Yes and where they laughed about it is one of the worst part killing innocent lives or even guilty lives is not something to laugh about, killing is not fun but it's how we live.

I've always said, if you don't have the balls to go into a country and kill everyone, don't go in at all. This idea of fighting a polite, contained war was shown to be unworkable in Viet Nam. We won WW II because we we willing to fire bomb entire cities and say, "Who cares?" The point I'm trying to make is, war is hell. The past administration, along with a very stupid congress, were all to eager to go to war, forgetting the horror of war. The problem with any war is that real people die, and real mothers cry for ever when their sons die. So do their fathers.

Back in the sixties, there were so many anti-war songs, as well as demonstrations. Where are the students now? How can any of this be acceptable, yet it is. I would like to see the new Tea Party go over to Afghanistan and put their balls on the line. Maybe then I would have some respect for them.

Old rich men declare war. Then they send the sons of the poor to fight them. To them, it's all collateral damage, and quite acceptable.

Mako

People are watching this and feel sick by the lack of humanity in their attitudes, but they're soldiers in war. You have to learn to desensitize yourself to kill people every day.

It really sucks, but I can't fault the soldiers. It's really hard to see them on the ground, and you sure as hell couldn't see the kids in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    People are watching this and feel sick by the lack of humanity in their attitudes, but they're soldiers in war. You have to learn to desensitize yourself to kill people every day.

It really sucks, but I can't fault the soldiers. It's really hard to see them on the ground, and you sure as hell couldn't see the kids in the car.
    Deffinately it's a colossal fuckup. I'm not ready to blame the soldiers, though. I'm sure worse stuff than this has happened in the same war. But, seeing the video, I don't know, the war just seems more real now.

I don't like the painting of war as an all-or-nothing sort of thing, but unfortunately that's what I believe -- you can't half-ass something like that.

That said, I haven't actually seen the youtube video as I'm under 18... but I have the feeling this isn't the fault of the people in charge. At least, not on a grand scale. The problem lies (in my not-entirely informed opinion) with the people who shot or kept shooting after they noticed something went wrong.

Remember, we do have enemies over there who like to dress up their guns as just about anything. Our soldiers are wading through the Dust Bowl Land Of IED's and Guerilla Warfare... and "soldier shot dead by terrorists posing as journalists" looks a lot different than "journalists shot dead by soldiers on suspicion of being terr'ists".

and it's 10:00 PM here so very sorry if my arguement makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post

Back in the sixties, there were so many anti-war songs, as well as demonstrations. Where are the students now? How can any of this be acceptable, yet it is. I would like to see the new Tea Party go over to Afghanistan and put their balls on the line. Maybe then I would have some respect for them.
    Dogboy, the difference is about ' choice '. In Viet Nam, there was the ' Draft ', now that military service is voluntary, the student do not feel threatened. They know that their lives will not be endangered unless they choose to enlist. I am not making light of the sitituation by what I am posting below, actually, I believe this makes alot of sense.

New Direction for any war: Send Service Vets over 60!

I am over 60 and the Armed Forces thinks I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 42 to join the military.. They've got the whole thing ass-backwards. Instead of sending 18-year olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join a military unit until you're at least 35.

For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds.. Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more than 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.

Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier. 'My back hurts! I can't sleep, I'm tired and hungry' We are impatient and maybe letting us kill some asshole that desperately deserves it will make us feel better and shut us up for a while.

An 18-year-old doesn't even like to get up before 10 a.m. Old guys always get up early to pee so what the hell. Besides, like I said, 'I'm tired and can't sleep and since I'm already up, I may as well be up killing some fanatical SOB....

If captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real stretch.

Boot camp would be easier for old guys. We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we're used to soft food. We've also developed an appreciation for guns. We've been using them for years as an excuse to get out of the house, away from the screaming and yelling.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after completing basic training.

Actually, the running part is kind of a waste of energy, too. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet..

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him... He's still learning to shave, to start up a conversation with a pretty girl. He still hasn't figured out that a baseball cap has a brim to shade his eyes, not the back of his head.

These are all great reasons to keep our kids at home to learn a little more about life before sending them off into harm's way.

Let us old guys track down those dirty rotten coward terrorists. The last thing an enemy would want to see is a couple of million pissed off old farts with attitudes and automatic weapons who know that their best years are already behind them.