Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to figure out who made this trumpet

Default trying to figure out who made this trumpet

so.. I recently got this trumpet from my friend Kevin, right?

the only text I can find on it is " Barclay " and the serial number, " 81464 "
    the trumpet looks 40~s, 50~s.
    im curious what she is cus I might look up the value on it, I cant play at all, and could use some extra cash currently.

any help would be GREATLY apprechiated!
    I might upload pix later to help out if you guys need some pix

I'm sure pics would help a lot... why did he give you a trumpet? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    I'm sure pics would help a lot... why did he give you a trumpet? O_o
    i'll get some pix up in a second then ^^

he was gonna pawn it but figured he'd give it to me since I have an interest in music

yah, a picture would be a big help. Out of all my years in band and what not i don't believe I've heard that name before. My trombone is a bundy, the ones at the school i believe are cort. Also iirc my baritone was a deg. Be nice to have a look at it. If your gona pawn it though leme know how much they'll give you for it. I might be able to go over their price and i have wanted a trumpet for a long time.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Sorry im not editing my last post, I just googled it and "barclay" is more or less a student level horn. The fact that you say it looks 40s or 50s might be that the last person didnt take very good care of it or they had the lacquer striped which not only changes the sound but some like the visual appeal as well. Will be able to tell you better with pictures.

Also acording to the site i looked at depending on the finish (brass or silver) NEW the horn retails for 199 and 239 respectively.

Hope i helped, let me know if i might be able to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by maccracker18 View Post
    yah, a picture would be a big help. Out of all my years in band and what not i don't believe I've heard that name before. My trombone is a bundy, the ones at the school i believe are cort. Also iirc my baritone was a deg. Be nice to have a look at it. If your gona pawn it though leme know how much they'll give you for it. I might be able to go over their price and i have wanted a trumpet for a long time.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Sorry im not editing my last post, I just googled it and "barclay" is more or less a student level horn. The fact that you say it looks 40s or 50s might be that the last person didnt take very good care of it or they had the lacquer striped which not only changes the sound but some like the visual appeal as well. Will be able to tell you better with pictures.

Also acording to the site i looked at depending on the finish (brass or silver) NEW the horn retails for 199 and 239 respectively.

Hope i helped, let me know if i might be able to buy it
    this looks a lot different than them horns, and I know for a fact this thing was purchased in the 60s because his parents bought it for him then, lol

i'll get this baby cleaned up and oiled then i'll see ;3
    just wanna make sure it will actually play first, cus I dunno how to play trumpet, and my lips wont buzz right >.<
    plus the dude had a stroke so he cant play it either >.<

~ edit ~

I forgot to mention one very crutial thing, the case, its small, the ends are wrapped in leather, and the middle is mainly leather too, has a different texture, could possibly not be leather, but it seems like it, the barclay trumpets on the Allman Music have plastic shell cases, the pieces to close this one are completely metal with the ability to use a key, its main color is a dark red, the trumpet itself is the standard gold color, the buttons have a red felt pad in them, and the maker location is Czechoslovakia, which means the trumpet was made before 1992.

god I love research <3
    Last edited by Jakethefox; 04-Apr-2010 at 15:17. Reason: edit teim

Okay, Barclay and Co. is out of New York, so it may be that. They make all kinds of musical instruments. Check this out, although these are much newer:
    Allman Music Musical Instruments: Barclay Trumpets & Coronets

I really can't find much more, sorry. I played trombone for 7 years, and hadn't run across that brand anywhere.

Well, you've sparked my interest. Like spddan i haven't heard of them ever and ive played brass instruments for about 6 years now. Nice to see it is that old, some of those horns are really good. Jeez i hope its a good one, i need a trumpet!

Well, you've sparked my interest. Like spddan i haven't heard of them ever and ive played brass instruments for about 6 years now. Nice to see it is that old, some of those horns are really good. Jeez i hope its a good one, i need a trumpet!
    I could use a new 15" subwoofer :V

perhaps we can work that out? :3

looking at this thing : Sony Xplod XS-L156P5 15-inch Single 4 ohm Car Subwoofer/Sub

Lets see how much its worth when you try and sell it lol.

Lets see how much its worth when you try and sell it lol.
    alright, they're probably just gonna offer half of what its priced at on the net anyway, lol