Thread: Diapers taking on a new 'low-cut' design.

EmeraldsAndLime

Default Diapers taking on a new 'low-cut' design.

A month or so ago I picked up some Abena X-Plus and Tena Slip Maxi. Now I knew from a thread on here that the Abena diapers has undergone a design change, where they don't rise up as high. The older style ones could easily cover my belly button and rise up fairly high at the back. This just isn't the case anymore as now they just barely go past my belt-line.

What surprised me was the the Tena's also have taken on this design change. They used to rise up fairly high on me, not quite as much as the Abena's, but there'd be a sizable amount rising above the top of my pants. The tapes on them have changed as well from the dual-layered wide ones, to thinner, single-layered tapes with a more prominent landing strip to place them on.

I can understand the reason for the design change: it does make them a lot more discreet, and after all they are incontinence products. But as a DL I'm slightly disappointed by these changes. They just don't fit me as well. :dry: I can't pull the bottom tapes over far enough to actually stick them on the front of the diaper, and I have to place them, more or less, around the leg-cuff area. Though I enjoy a tighter fit, too much movement causes them to come undone, and then they don't really stick well again.

Though I'm happy to say that absorbency isn't really affected at all, well for the Abena's anyway. I can still get 2-3 heavy-ish wettings out of them. This used to be the same for the Tena's but now after one wetting I'm a little uneasy about using them again.

I guess now the question is whether other brands will take up this design change. Molicare is another brand that usually has a higher cut, so perhaps in the near future we might see them shortened as well.

I suspect that they will all start following suit, if for no other reason than greater profit. The less material needed to make the product, the higher the profit margin.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    A month or so ago I picked up some Abena X-Plus and Tena Slip Maxi. Now I knew from a thread on here that the Abena diapers has undergone a design change, where they don't rise up as high. The older style ones could easily cover my belly button and rise up fairly high at the back. This just isn't the case anymore as now they just barely go past my belt-line.

What surprised me was the the Tena's also have taken on this design change. They used to rise up fairly high on me, not quite as much as the Abena's, but there'd be a sizable amount rising above the top of my pants. The tapes on them have changed as well from the dual-layered wide ones, to thinner, single-layered tapes with a more prominent landing strip to place them on.

I can understand the reason for the design change: it does make them a lot more discreet, and after all they are incontinence products. But as a DL I'm slightly disappointed by these changes. They just don't fit me as well. :dry: I can't pull the bottom tapes over far enough to actually stick them on the front of the diaper, and I have to place them, more or less, around the leg-cuff area. Though I enjoy a tighter fit, too much movement causes them to come undone, and then they don't really stick well again.

Though I'm happy to say that absorbency isn't really affected at all, well for the Abena's anyway. I can still get 2-3 heavy-ish wettings out of them. This used to be the same for the Tena's but now after one wetting I'm a little uneasy about using them again.

I guess now the question is whether other brands will take up this design change. Molicare is another brand that usually has a higher cut, so perhaps in the near future we might see them shortened as well.
    Lukie, let me add my concerns as a profoundly urinary incontinent woman of a certain age.

Yes, there are situations when moving around and functioning as a responsible person when it is important to be discreet. The fact is a low-cut, hip-hugging disposable is not a leak problem except in bed. All the other incontinent people I know in person want to change well before their containment product is soaked, because by then it would smell bad.

Consequently most of us buy more than one kind of disposable. In my case I always have on hand:

Attends Youth Briefs which are a 2-sticky tapes per side classic poly-plastic disposable which still provide me enough rise these work when I am in bed and sick enough I cannot be sure of my bowel control.

Attends Breathable Extra Absorbent Small Briefs which are a cloth-like diaper with really good re-fastenable tabs. I wear these when I am moving around and need more than 3+ hours capacity or when I want some extra padding. For example, when I am riding a horse.

Disposable Slip In Pads, which I make by cutting off the side flaps of ordinary Pampers Cruisers Size 4 or 5. I only wear these when I am sure I can change every 3 hours and when I am either sitting or standing. Because I wear the slip-in inside snug white cotton panties, they are very discreet. Also, Pampers cost less than half as much as Attends or other adult diapers.

I communicate with Attends as well as some other adult diaper manufacturers reminding them that incontinent people still need non-discreet products for use at home in bed, where poly-plastic works so much better than cloth-like. In bed disposables need enough rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post

I agree with you about the new design Abenas. Not really a big dealbreaker for me though. As long as they are still plastic backed I'm happy! I've purchased a heap of Tenas in Super and Maxi recently and I can't say I've noticed much difference in cut over the ones a few years ago. I think Tena have the best fit of any diaper available here in oz. They have always been lower cut than most other brands. Definately an individual preference thing I guess.

Guess im the odd one of the 24/7's (24/7 is back again ). I really don't use different diapers often although a little bit of that is because of money reasons and I do have some depends max around. Most of the time I'm in my abena's which most of the time i do use to max capacity. As of late ive found though that the odor protection isn't exactly what it used to be. Usually I seem to get about 8ish hours out of one abena, which is perfect because I'm too embarrassed to change there and the same for while I'm at school. I haven't noticed the design change so much though less the odor. Since i'm home and i first noticed the redesign they actually seem to fit a wee bit better. I now realize that i need to get some plastic pants because at night they do tend to have a nasty issue of top leakage or minor leg leaks which are a bit of an inconvenience.

Just me 3 cents! And yes, i do have 3 of them