Thread: Server Help

Default Server Help

Ok so i know that many people here on adisc are tech savvy. I am setting up a new network in my home office. I got my main server setup running Windows Server 2003 R2 EP. I am working on setting up my main office PC and networking them together.

A few questions is there a way to network Windows 7 or XP with Server 2003

What is the best way to secure my server

How do I go about setting up a VPN?

Can I setup my server as a email server?

How do I run my website of my sever?

Ive also heard many people say VNC is a good thing to have on your server. True or Not?

I am a total nobb when it comes to networking but would like to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    Ok so i know that many people here on adisc are tech savvy. I am setting up a new network in my home office. I got my main server setup running Windows Server 2003 R2 EP. I am working on setting up my main office PC and networking them together.

Ive also heard many people say VNC is a good thing to have on your server. True or Not?

Pretty much all OS's will network with Server 2003. Now if you were using Server 2003 as a domain controller anything from Windows XP is suitable. It depends what sort of 'networking' you want, whether you just want File Sharing or whether your want centralized user accounts and permissions etc etc.

As for securing the server, always use a strong password (mixture of letters, numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase and non-dictionary). Also don't expose unnecessary internet ports to the web, so for example only open port 80(http) to the server in your router/firewall if you need to. You will also want to keep the server updated with the latest updates that come from Microsoft(via windows update)

VPN is fairly easy to set up, but rather than me explaining it all, you'd be best to take a look at this - Configure a Windows Server 2003 VPN on the server side this is the simplest of VPN connections available to you, as it doesn't require any certificates. For this you would need to open port 1723 in your router/firewall. Depending on the router/firewall it may also be necessary to enable VPN passthrough or protocol 47 GRE (note this not port 47).

Mail Server - If you do not have Microsoft Exchange(which runs on Server 2003), you would need to find either a mail server to run on windows or setup another machine and run a Linux Distro such as CentOS or Ubuntu and set up a mail server on there.

Web Site - Server 2003 includes IIS 6, which is Microsoft's web server. You can run your website using this. To access it from the outside world you would need to open port 80 in your router/firewall. Also depending on if you have a static wan IP address, you may need to use a Dynamic DNS service to be able to allow people to connect, without having to give them your wan IP address each time it changes!!

I personally no longer use VNC for remote admin, and just use Remote Desktop which is built into all Microsoft OS's since Windows XP.

It is well worth taking a look through www.techrebulic.com and Petri IT Knowledgebase. Any more questions, just ask!!

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post

Learn basics, grasshopper. Here is a haiku to help you on this path:

When running PCs
    Advice matches having sex:
    Always wrap packets.

Yes, this is not something that is easy to fix. Complicated stuff. But if I'm not so reduces errors, it is difficult to private email servers.

When you fix something like this you usually need to have some kind of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDan View Post
    Pretty much all OS's will network with Server 2003. Now if you were using Server 2003 as a domain controller anything from Windows XP is suitable. It depends what sort of 'networking' you want, whether you just want File Sharing or whether your want centralized user accounts and permissions etc etc.

As for securing the server, always use a strong password (mixture of letters, numbers, symbols, upper and lowercase and non-dictionary). Also don't expose unnecessary internet ports to the web, so for example only open port 80(http) to the server in your router/firewall if you need to. You will also want to keep the server updated with the latest updates that come from Microsoft(via windows update)

VPN is fairly easy to set up, but rather than me explaining it all, you'd be best to take a look at this - Configure a Windows Server 2003 VPN on the server side this is the simplest of VPN connections available to you, as it doesn't require any certificates. For this you would need to open port 1723 in your router/firewall. Depending on the router/firewall it may also be necessary to enable VPN passthrough or protocol 47 GRE (note this not port 47).

Mail Server - If you do not have Microsoft Exchange(which runs on Server 2003), you would need to find either a mail server to run on windows or setup another machine and run a Linux Distro such as CentOS or Ubuntu and set up a mail server on there.

Web Site - Server 2003 includes IIS 6, which is Microsoft's web server. You can run your website using this. To access it from the outside world you would need to open port 80 in your router/firewall. Also depending on if you have a static wan IP address, you may need to use a Dynamic DNS service to be able to allow people to connect, without having to give them your wan IP address each time it changes!!

I personally no longer use VNC for remote admin, and just use Remote Desktop which is built into all Microsoft OS's since Windows XP.

It is well worth taking a look through www.techrebulic.com and Petri IT Knowledgebase. Any more questions, just ask!!

Im more less looking for file sharing and centralized user accounts

Quote Originally Posted by LittleDan View Post

!
    Almost, Yes, Server 2003 does have IIS, but you have to install it first!
    You can do this by using the "Server roles wizard" and selecting "Application Server" in the list, or by using the "Add/Remove windows features" option in the "Add or Remove Programs" control panel option.

When you have IIS Installed, open the configuration manager from Control Panel > Administrative Tools.

You can either use the Default Web Site, or configure a new one by using File > Add > Web site

Leave your ip as default, port as 80, and the header, you can either leave blank - which will make that entry default for your servers ip, or enter the domain name that you want the site to load from. IN that case, only when that specific domain is used will that site load. (You'll need to get the domain, and point it to your servers ip using an A name record first!)

If you want any more help on IIS and it's features, drop me a PM.

as for Exchange Server, which, arguably is one of the best email clients for medium/large companies, It is very expensive, takes quite a bit of skill to configure, needs a high spec'd system and steals resources fast. You may want to look at other (free?) email serving alternatives, unless you are planning on hosting a dedicated email server for your company.

Good luck, what every you choose to do.

Edit: As another note, If you are quite new to this, you may want to look at a solution like "Small Business Server", which includes all the features you listed in one package, pre configured, with an easy configuration wizard.

Server computing is so different from normal computing. If you get a question that you don't understand, google it, or ask. Most of the configuration options will completely screw your install if answered wrong!

Ok is there a way i can connect my windows 7 computer to my Server 2003 PC. Make it where on the 7 computer you have to login with a username and password on the server