Thread: Dysgraphia Help Needed

Exclamation Dysgraphia Help Needed

I'm pre diagnosing myself with dysgraphia. Since I can't write well even if I tried. If I make it readable I have to go super slow to the point where I get behind, which is no good. The adults around me are just saying your lazy and its all because you slacked off in elementary school. And they are treating it like its no big deal when it is. My english grade is suffering. Since i'm unable to type all of my assignments. And everyone else has beautiful handwriting that I covet. Recently my hand writing has gotten progressively worse. And when I was trying to make it neat. The neatness didn't really happen. I can't really draw that well. Which is allso a symptom. If I go real slow then I get somewhere art wise. I allso pre-diagnosed myself with aspergers syndrome. I beleave that I have adopted an odd pencil grasp. Here is where the questions come in.

What can I do to convince my mom and my grandma that I can't help my writing skills?

Where can i go to get it offically diagnosed?

What do you other dysgraphia suffers do to cope with your disorder?

Is it really me slacking off in elementary school that could of caused it?

How many of you out there got diagnosed with it?

Any other philosophies that are worthy to be shared?

Again, thanks!

Silverstar

You say you have self diagnosing yourself. If you were to be professionally diagnosed, you could use a laptop in class as an accommodation. We have a boy at my school who is diagnosed, and so everything he does is on his laptop. Even when he takes the standardized tests, they have to accommodate him, and so he takes the tests on computer. I might add that no one thinks he is a slacker. Quite frankly, that is very unfair, and most likely incorrect. There are plenty of people with dysgraphia, and you most likely are one of them. If you were a slacker, you wouldn't express yourself as well as you do here on this site.

Olivia

Well if possible I would say try to see a docter first they'll be the ones able to diagnos you.

Secondly if someone said your just lazy they clearly don't know how hard it is.

A Dysgraphia thread? I'm home!

Yes, this will prompt a post from me .

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    What can I do to convince my mom and my grandma that I can't help my writing skills?
    This can be hard. First thing you need to know is to learn as much about the disorder as possible, and if you get a diagnosis, it wouldn't hurt to have a professional backing you up.

Where can i go to get it officially diagnosed?
    Depends upon your situation. I would recommend one of two things:

1) Your school should have a special education office or something in place to help those with disabilities. I would seek them out and see if they can give you an evaluation. You have a right to ask for an evaluation, and since this is a public school in America, they have to allow you to be evaluated, and it should be free.

2) You can try with your general care physician (usual doc) at a checkup. Tell him/her that it has been a major issue for you for years and that you feel like you need some help. They should also be able to help get you started if you are trying to pursue an Asperger's diagnosis. If they have an issue with that, then I don't think they're the right doctor for you.

What do you other dysgraphia suffers do to cope with your disorder?
    Dysgraphia is a *very* common issue, and as much as 20% of the population are believed to have it to one degree or another. I, myself, am one of them. I don't have the diagnosis written anywhere in my files, although my occupational therapist has sited handwriting difficulties for me in a note that I have given to teachers in college in the past. Dysgraphia essentially means that your hands won't do what your brain tells them to do (although it can also be a visual issue). My entire body doesn't do what my mind tells it to do, which is known as Dyspraxia, and the two can often coincide.

My best recommendation would be to type as much as possible, which will be easier to do if you get the diagnosis and the accommodation specified. This topic comes up pretty often on the Sensory Processing Disorder support groups that I run, so I know a couple of programs they have used for their kids, though they are likely for younger children.

Is it really me slacking off in elementary school that could of caused it?
    Absolutely not.
    This is an invisible disability you are likely suffering from, one that often falls under the category of learning disabilities. One of the most common comments made about learning disabled people (out of ignorance) is that they are lazy or that they are not motivated enough. You are not lazy dude, at least not at this. You worked your ass off to try to get your writing to look something kind of close to what other people's did, and still not much luck. That's not laziness, that's disability. Something getting in your way.

How many of you out there got diagnosed with it?
    Oooh! Me!
    Yeah, I think a lot of people on here have it, actually. It's pretty common.

Any other philosophies that are worthy to be shared?
    Well, I would feel at least a little silly here if I didn't mention Sensory Processing Disorder to you. It is basically all the sensory issues found it autism, and is probably the root of many of your issues. I would also consider looking into finding an occupational therapist. They are the best at diagnosing and treating that.

Please keep us updated. Let us know how this all turns out, and ask me if you're at all interested in picking my brain at this stuff, as I am fairly knowledgeable at this kind of stuff .

PS = LOVE that avatar, always have.

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    A Dysgraphia thread? I'm home!

Yes, this will prompt a post from me .

This can be hard. First thing you need to know is to learn as much about the disorder as possible, and if you get a diagnosis, it wouldn't hurt to have a professional backing you up.

Depends upon your situation. I would recommend one of two things:

1) Your school should have a special education office or something in place to help those with disabilities. I would seek them out and see if they can give you an evaluation. You have a right to ask for an evaluation, and since this is a public school in America, they have to allow you to be evaluated, and it should be free.

2) You can try with your general care physician (usual doc) at a checkup. Tell him/her that it has been a major issue for you for years and that you feel like you need some help. They should also be able to help get you started if you are trying to pursue an Asperger's diagnosis. If they have an issue with that, then I don't think they're the right doctor for you.

Dysgraphia is a *very* common issue, and as much as 20% of the population are believed to have it to one degree or another. I, myself, am one of them. I don't have the diagnosis written anywhere in my files, although my occupational therapist has sited handwriting difficulties for me in a note that I have given to teachers in college in the past. Dysgraphia essentially means that your hands won't do what your brain tells them to do (although it can also be a visual issue). My entire body doesn't do what my mind tells it to do, which is known as Dyspraxia, and the two can often coincide.

My best recommendation would be to type as much as possible, which will be easier to do if you get the diagnosis and the accommodation specified. This topic comes up pretty often on the Sensory Processing Disorder support groups that I run, so I know a couple of programs they have used for their kids, though they are likely for younger children.

Absolutely not.
    This is an invisible disability you are likely suffering from, one that often falls under the category of learning disabilities. One of the most common comments made about learning disabled people (out of ignorance) is that they are lazy or that they are not motivated enough. You are not lazy dude, at least not at this. You worked your ass off to try to get your writing to look something kind of close to what other people's did, and still not much luck. That's not laziness, that's disability. Something getting in your way.

Oooh! Me!
    Yeah, I think a lot of people on here have it, actually. It's pretty common.

Well, I would feel at least a little silly here if I didn't mention Sensory Processing Disorder to you. It is basically all the sensory issues found it autism, and is probably the root of many of your issues. I would also consider looking into finding an occupational therapist. They are the best at diagnosing and treating that.

Please keep us updated. Let us know how this all turns out, and ask me if you're at all interested in picking my brain at this stuff, as I am fairly knowledgeable at this kind of stuff .

PS = LOVE that avatar, always have.
    Thanks for your brilliant fufilling enlighting input! I really needed it . I'll get back to you when I have time maybe this wednesday after school, maybe we can delve deeper into the nitty gritty of this issue.