Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up! - New VIRUS.

Default Heads up! - New VIRUS.

I never got a chance to say goodbye before I left for Spring Break to some of you. The reasoning why is something you would never believe either, just the timing alone really struck me. The evening before I left for work for the night (1:15am) ...and leaving for vacation that following morning after work I was hit with a virus. I would say about 10pm it showed up, three hours before I needed to leave for work. My stress levels instantly shot through the roof. I didn't have time to deal with this shit but I had no choice.

This happened last week and only been able to talk about it now so my memory isn't completely accurate here. I have never encountered a virus like this one though. I was on my netbook that runs WinXP Pro since Win7 is too much for it to handle. My task bar started prompting like crazy saying a multiple of messages all dealing with my computer being under attack. Few things from memory it said, I had a multiple of viruses, worms, and a supposed key logger in my system. On top of that it said all my information would be lost. Just prompt after prompt after prompt. My task bar was basically lighting up like a Christmas tree. It wouldn't let me do anything either. I tried opening up AVG, Search & Destroy, Malwarebyte's. Nothing. The programs would not open up. So I tried reinstalling one of them to try to bypass the bullshit going on. It said system admin had disabled use of installing, something along those lines.

So then I decided to go into Safe Mode with Networking and try to do anything there. Nothing. It kept forcing me to install this virus program it was prompting me with that disguised itself as a actual Windows program. Tired, frustrated, at a lose of what to do as I'm looking at the clock nearing the work hour I finally caved in and called my friend who do this sort of thing for a living. He was able to remote host with me using Team Viewer and basically killed the source of the problem.

The ironic thing is it's a virus that attaches itself to web pages, only it's not a real virus. It does no physical harm to your computer as far as deleting files or anything. IT will however trick you into thinking you need to purchase this program to get rid of the problem. A credit card collector program that has been making the rounds from what he told me. To be on the safe side I canceled my credit card to see one charge had already been made. Apparently this program was able to access certain key logs of bank information.

I had the charge disputed when I got back from vacation today since I wasn't too earlier due to the charge being in pending status by Chase. There was no issue at all since they said they been seeing a lot of them lately and asked if I do them a favor and speak to their main corporate office personally. I explained the source of the problem to one of the high ups in corporate office who was quite intrigued to know more of my personal experience with the problem. He said their looking into it now thanks to my additional information and would have me credited back in less than 24 hours.

I feel like a hero in a way but at the same time I need another vacation from my vacation. I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone on here to look out for this. I'm gonna have my friend type up a detailed report of what he did to get rid of it as well later on. If you need help, let me know.

Olivia

sounds like the virus I had I got rid of it with windows live one care though then again this sounds worse could be a trojan or spyware.

I would say if you have the cash to take it into like best buy though if you need it for work and such Then possibly not.

idk if I would call that new or not. You didnt give any file names or anything. But it dosnt sounds like fun.

My friend had that virus on his computer too. I think he said he used and antivirus called Mbot or something to get rid of it. I'll have to ask him if his paypal got charged recently. Thanks for the heads up.

These ones are insanely easy to take care off.

I dealt with stuff like this a few times and all I ever had to do was google the name of the fake software it was selling and the first few links are step by step guides on how to get rid of it. This Malware has been around for a number of years and can't be considered new.

Next time anyone deals with this personally. Take a deep breath, realize it's going to be okay and google the programs name and do some simple research. If you have problems you can always ask here on Adisc in the tech/gaming sub-fourms since we got a lot of people that love computers and deal with viruses themselves.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/...virus-malware/

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    These ones are insanely easy to take care off.

I dealt with stuff like this a few times and all I ever had to do was google the name of the fake software it was selling and the first few links are step by step guides on how to get rid of it. This Malware has been around for a number of years and can't be considered new.

Next time anyone deals with this personally. Take a deep breath, realize it's going to be okay and google the programs name and do some simple research. If you have problems you can always ask here on Adisc in the tech/gaming sub-fourms since we got a lot of people that love computers and deal with viruses themselves.

How To Remove Antivirus Live and Other Rogue/Fake Antivirus Malware - How-To Geek
    It was new to me, never come across anything like this before. I tried googling my way to help but it locked me out of everything I tried to do. The only other computer we had was my partners but he became super paranoid and didn't want his computer on the network in risk of infection so using a web browser to fix it myself was not a option. Surprisingly the only thing it would allow me to do is to get on Trillian and I was able to connect to mIRC for all of ten seconds. It felt like things were getting worse the more and more I tried different methods of countering back.

That link you shared is bookmarked for future use. Though my friend is usually who I go to first because I know he knows his stuff.

It's official name is Fake AV 2010

This one is simple. You need to kill the process, then it won't stop your AVs from starting anymore. The processes are usually pretty obvious. I doubt its a new virus, someone just crypted it to make it look different than any viruses in your AV's detection database.

Quote Originally Posted by statik View Post
    It's official name is Fake AV 2010

Fake AV 2010 - Google Search

Look what got pulled up as the first link.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Fake AV 2010 - Google Search

Look what got pulled up as the first link.
    Even with error codes if you type it exactly the same it will know what's wrong and how to fix it. In my situation though -

"I tried googling my way to help but it locked me out of everything I tried to do. The only other computer we had was my partners but he became super paranoid and didn't want his computer on the network in risk of infection so using a web browser to fix it myself was not a option."

This post was more of a "hey, this happened to me just recently ...be safe, be warned".