Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roadtrip, kind of... Detroit to florida

annierighthurr

Default roadtrip, kind of... Detroit to florida

Hey guys. I was hoping to find some input and ideas from people actually around the area.

At the end of April, my boyfriend and I will be driving from his hometown (outside of Detroit, MI) to his next military base, which is in Panama City, Florida. We have 2 or 3 days(probably gonna stick with just one night on the road though), and want it to be fun. We aren't interested in sightseeing much aside from places to eat or rest, but we do want to try to drive down on roads other then just bland interstates. Anybody from these areas know any good state highways that are good scenery and such? Or good towns to stop off in and have meals/drive through for the hell of it?

I'd love some input

Well, I don't have much experience driving that route, though I did before in 2003. We stopped overnight in two places, Burea, Kentucky and Valdasta, Georgia. I guess I can't really remember enough of our route to offer any good suggestions though, sorry.

I do wonder, where is it outside of Detroit? Just wondering because I'm in Ypsilanti.

Nope, I used to live in pensacola near there, but I moved recently to Tampa. I Don't remember any food place, or places other then the beach that popped out at me. Good Luck on your trip though.

There are a lot of back roads, but they will take FOREVER to get where you are going. While the interstates go pretty much (Most of the time) go straight to where you are going. (I-10 when you get closer to panama beach will take you right up to it.) You really have to be a local to know where the back roads are. Last time I travel from tampa to pensacola the backroads were changing. So You got to remember that it's very unreliable to go that way (unless it's during a holiday, then by all means, go for it). I guess if you want a scenic route at least 1/16 of the way, once you get to Florida, at any point, travel along the beaches. sooner or later you'll get to panama.

Detroit has some interesting stuff, lol like the Michigan Central Depot(that huge abandond building that can be seen all over the city).

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    Well, I don't have much experience driving that route, though I did before in 2003. We stopped overnight in two places, Burea, Kentucky and Valdasta, Georgia. I guess I can't really remember enough of our route to offer any good suggestions though, sorry.

I do wonder, where is it outside of Detroit? Just wondering because I'm in Ypsilanti.
    He's from Milford, MI. Which is where his parents live and where his car is currently, so, our starting point :P

Quote Originally Posted by steel View Post
    Stop at Nashville!!!!! lol You'll have a good time trust me.
    We plan to spend the night there!

A suggestion, don't take the interstates, take the US routes and such, cause you may see stuff along the way that is interesting. I remember one trip in which my grandparents did that, and I was with them and I saw all sorts of interesting towns, cities, and a few small restaurants that had burgers that were priceless!

Avoid the interstates unless you have to... Or are you planning the direct route?

Seeing the countryside is a great experience, one I wish I could do more often. I envy you the chance to do a road trip.

WildThing121675

annierighthurr

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    A suggestion, don't take the interstates, take the US routes and such, cause you may see stuff along the way that is interesting. I remember one trip in which my grandparents did that, and I was with them and I saw all sorts of interesting towns, cities, and a few small restaurants that had burgers that were priceless!

Avoid the interstates unless you have to... Or are you planning the direct route?

Seeing the countryside is a great experience, one I wish I could do more often. I envy you the chance to do a road trip.

WildThing121675
    We are trying to avoid the interstates, which was my point in posting. Looking for other routes. US highways is a good idea, thanks.

Cool, always glad to give advice! As someone who has done some road trips with family around Ohio with a dad that hates interstates, I have learned the value of US highways.

I just hope you have a safe trip, and please do tell us stories! Some of us don't get to travel often due to our jobs and life.

WildThing121675

Most interstates are along highways that were once the main roads, before I 95 was finished I used to drive from Pa to Florida quite a bit.

Back then you would drive the finished and nearly finished interstate with occasional trips thru small towns, and then back on the highway,in those towns you had to watch out for the police because they watched every out of state car for any little thing to make money on you.

It will cost you more money for fuel, because of all the stop and start driving, the interstate may be boring but it saves fuel.