Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immigration reform next!

Default Immigration reform next!

With health care reform signed into law, it looks like immigration reform is next!
    If you thought the health care reform got heated, just wait for immigration reform to get started! With all the fighting between democrats and republicans, how far can this fighting go?

thoughts on this all?

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    With health care reform signed into law, it looks like immigration reform is next!
    If you thought the health care reform got heated, just wait for immigration reform to get started! With all the fighting between democrats and republicans, how far can this fighting go?

thoughts on this all?
    I think it's going to become more interesting, as people who traditionally support the other side are seeing that they're not even trying to work together despite Obama's efforts. They're working to oppose the democrats instead of working to improve the country. If the democrats stay strong the republicans are going to have their base turn on them except for the tea partiers which no one sane wants to associate with.

The only thing I know that is proposed so far is creating a path to citizenship for illegals already here. I hope it would be obvious to people trying to locate and deport all of them is financially and logistically unrealistic.

Closing the borders with a expensive fence isn't going to work either. You build a bigger fence, they'll dig better tunnels. Shooting on sight won't help either, you'll just have a massacre.

What I believe should be done is those providing jobs to illegals should be targeted. If you make the risk of knowingly hiring illegals larger then the profits from cheap labour then you take away the carrot that gives people incentive to cross over.

With this issue, I am mixed especially for my hispanic (PUERTO RICAN) descent. I know that all my family members are US Citizens and myself native born (in NY), but I do know a lot of illegal immigrants as friends or my parents' coworkers. In my view, I would agree with the perspective that there should be an easier path towards citizenship even though this can result in a population explosion in the US. A lot of Americans are indifferent with this especially with the factor of whether to use cheap labor vs. knowingly paying benefits for them. In the perspective of jobs, they are a good source of cheap labor here that isn't outsourcing everything to China. If anybody wants to give America a chance, then go right ahead, but immigration to the US should not be a tedious process of 5-10 years in knowing the language and culture before even becoming a citizen. What happened to the melting pot of diversity? And Mako, I agree totally with the analogy of the bigger tunnels cause hispanics are forever relentless.

Butterfly Mage

The obvious solution is to bring our military home from the bullcrap Halliburton wars and use them to round up the illegals here.

How long before "Immigrant Rights" groups call for open boarders? Methinks not too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    The obvious solution is to bring our military home from the bullcrap Halliburton wars and use them to round up the illegals here.
    illegal. The Posse Comitatus Act limits the national military from working on domestic soil. That national guard does not count, as they are technically militia. The president could theoretically sign off on the allowance of such an action, but the tin foil hat crowd would be all over that like a fat kid on a cup cake. The Orwell and Mao fans would also love another reason to point out government takeover.

On the main point, if someone can't speak English, how are they to interact with the rest of society in America. While it is not official, most everyone here speaks English, and part of being in a society means you interact, unless you're like me and want to have nothing to do with society. But, the fact remains that productive members of society interact and English is a major requirement for that.

Any legitimate and effective reform would acknowledge incentive. Incentive is everything in this universe. If there is no incentive for something do be done, a majority of the time that something is not going to be done. Another point reform should include, is that borders exist for a reason, and that is not to keep people out, but to regulate and manage how people cross those borders. Ever notice how there are border crossings and people are allowed in and out of the country every day? The trick is knowing who does that, and who intends to stay here or away.

As a commentary, people only considering one aspect of immigration are greatly minimizing the impact that immigration has on the country. There's the human rights crowd (who I find absolutely intolerable) then there's the economic crowd (not as intolerable but still so) and the nationalist crowd (also very intolerable). I have no faith that any of the crowds will bring something viable to the table.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    As stated, that isn't going to work. Shove them out, they come back in and it's a giant expensive game of never ending cat and mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    How long before "Immigrant Rights" groups call for open boarders? Methinks not too long.
    Maybe. But I don't see that as a problem if it is enacted similar to Europe. The conspiracy nuts would have a field day with the NWO nonsense, but we shouldn't pay attention to them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post

Maybe. But I don't see that as a problem if it is enacted similar to Europe. The conspiracy nuts would have a field day with the NWO nonsense, but we shouldn't pay attention to them anyways.
    The issue is that the nations that make up the European Union are much more homogeneous economically than the United States and Mexico. Not to mention the drug war. The war is already getting out of hand in Mexico. Imagine the chaos it would cause just over the border.

Path to citizenship, but no more, and no open boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    haha, just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.