View Poll Results: Which one here has AS?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • The trash collector

32 64.00%
  • The downloader

7 14.00%
  • Both of them

11 22.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which one is the aspie?

Default Which one is the aspie?

Yes this is another autism thread. I am curious to see what results I get here for which person in the story has AS vs what results I got at the autism forums. I didn't make this story up, an NT did to paint a picture about aspies and he said which the aspie was.

At work someone is working on the computer and another person is going around picking up trash. He comes to someone's office and the person is in the way and there is no way the person can get to the trash.

"The boss told me to take out the trash.".

"Yes, but could you please wait a moment because I'm right in the middle downloading something and I don't want to screw it up. Let me quickly finish this and then I'll get out of the way and let you get to my trash can."

"The boss told me to do it now"

"I know, but please just wait a moment"

"He told me to do it right now. He didn't say anything about waiting for anyone to finish what they are doing."

"I know, but I'm right in the middle of .....oh ****!! Now look what you've made me do?! Couldn't you have waited?"

"The boss told me to take the trash out now."

Who do you think is the aspie, the trash picker upper or the person doing the downloading? Or would you say both of them have it?

I would imagine the trash collector. It's common (I'd say) to want to finish something... but quite odd that someone would comment over and over "i was told to do..." and not deviate from the task even a bit.

I think it's the trash collector

Why:

You know, it's possible that either could have some sort of neurological condition, but I think it's more likely to be the trash collector. People with Aspergers can have a variety of differences in their symptoms, so it's possible either could be, although the trash collector is more 'classic', if you will. They both exhibit 'classic' symptoms of Aspergers though, as well as common variants of normality.

To be completely honest though? It is too hard to tell off of just this one situation. There is so much involved in making a thorough diagnosis, that it is not very possible to distinguish, in all certainty, whether or not a person has an invisible disability of any sort just from a few moments of dialogue.

The trash collector as they are following the instructions they were given to the letter, it seems the more obvious choice. But there is no reason why the downloader can't have it either, he may not be displaying the traditional behaviour but that doesn't mean he doesn't have it.

Aspies don't normally like to be interrupted. I can get irritated too when my husband bugs me when I am on here. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to hand over the fricken trash can. Just pick it up and move it aside so the person can get to it. So I thought the downloader had it and the trash collector was the normal one. He is doing what he is told and the person wasn't letting him do his job. He explained to him the boss told him to get trash. If I were in that situation I would have probably told the downloader "It doesn't take more than a few seconds to hand me the fricken trash. Just move it aside so I can get to it."

And I don't see how you can mess up downloading something. I have downloaded stuff before and you can just let your computer be as it downloads.

Mako

"I know, but I'm right in the middle of .....oh ****!! Now look what you've made me do?! Couldn't you have waited?"
    This is the line that made me discard that it was both. It appears something did go wrong, so whatever he was doing required a large amount of attention. Hence why I picked the collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Yes this is another autism thread. I am curious to see what results I get here for which person in the story has AS vs what results I got at the autism forums. I didn't make this story up, an NT did to paint a picture about aspies and he said which the aspie was.

At work someone is working on the computer and another person is going around picking up trash. He comes to someone's office and the person is in the way and there is no way the person can get to the trash.

"The boss told me to take out the trash.".

"Yes, but could you please wait a moment because I'm right in the middle downloading something and I don't want to screw it up. Let me quickly finish this and then I'll get out of the way and let you get to my trash can."

"The boss told me to do it now"

"I know, but please just wait a moment"

"He told me to do it right now. He didn't say anything about waiting for anyone to finish what they are doing."

"The boss told me to take the trash out now."

Who do you think is the aspie, the trash picker upper or the person doing the downloading? Or would you say both of them have it?
    Neither. It's a false dichotomy born of a forced-choice outcome.

The one is a sycophant; the other a habitual AUP-violator.

I said the trash collector.

Having multiple siblings with Asperger's, I'd say the trash collector's phrasing strikes me as much more in line. The trash collector he seems more focused on the task than the person he's talking to, while the downloader seems to be more aware of the guy bugging him than his task, as evidenced by the fact that he uses words like "please" and "you".

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Neither. It's a false dichotomy born of a forced-choice outcome.

The one is a sycophant; the other a habitual AUP-violator.
    Good point, of course.

I chose both. Unless the download involved a scalpel it wouldn't have taken two seconds for the downloader to move out of the way and let the trash collecter do his job.

Or he could have handed the trash (I'm assuming it's a small bin) over to the collector.