Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any other volunteers in the room?

Default Any other volunteers in the room?

It is easy for somebody to sit and complain about how much life sucks for him. It takes a good breed of somebody to volunteer to help others who are worse off than he is. My life sucks, others have it worse off, so I do my best to help them out, and it helps me realize that I really do not have things that badly off after all. It also gives my life a sense of purpose, a sense of direction where there was none beforehand.

I would tell you where I volunteer at in this thread, if it were not for the fact that my city is listed in my profile. I have to keep some degree of anonymity, after all, especially when there is next to none left for me at this point. But rest assured, there are people who have things worse off than I do in my town, and I am doing my best to help some of them out directly.

So, if you volunteer for a cause you believe in, if you volunteer to help people out who have it worse off than you do, you are a winner in my opinion. Speak out in this thread if you are in this camp.

well I'm testing to be a volunteer firefighter/EMT next month, so I guess that kinda counts.

Quote Originally Posted by briefboy View Post
    well I'm testing to be a volunteer firefighter/EMT next month, so I guess that kinda counts.
    Dude, that totally counts. Best of luck with you on that.

I'm CPR certified if that counts for anything?

But seriously every summer I volunteer for some sort of camp thing for little kids at the local church.

I did volunteer for a Thanksgiving parade last year. I graduate from school in 3 months and still need 14 volunteer hours to graduate. I have still to think about what exactly to do for those hours.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    I did volunteer for a Thanksgiving parade last year. I graduate from school in 3 months and still need 14 volunteer hours to graduate. I have still to think about what exactly to do for those hours.
    Well, think about that carefully. You're a good person, I could tell from your other postings here. You have the potential to do a lot of good for the other people who are all around you. Realize it, find where your strength lies, and run with it as far as you can.

I think you're all great. I have built habitat for humanity houses, split wood for the needy, etc. and done endless work through my church. Now I work two jobs and my wife is on dialysis, so my time is greatly taken. I still look for opportunities when they arise, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Omorashi View Post
    I would like to but I don't know how to
    I used to feel exactly the same way myself.

The only way to find where your strengths lie is to try out different things, and see what works out best for you. That worked for me.

Essentially, I realized that my best place in volunteer jobs is security detail. The other volunteers in those places realized that I could lay down the law in a civilized fashion, keep the drama to a minimum, and neutralize most situations that could come up. I never thought I had those talents until I tried out several volunteer jobs and somebody suggested I take on that particular position. Of course, it probably helps that I am 6'3" with a shaved head, a goatee, and tattoos. I can look mean if I have to, although in most cases, I rather wouldn't. Heh.

I would suggest that if there is a cause you feel drawn to, don't sit in the sidelines and wait for somebody else to help out. Jump right in, do what you can, there is something out there you can do for something you believe in.

Oh I forgot about middle school. Everyday during study hall for my 7th and 8th grade I would go down to the special education room and help out. Most days we played , but sometimes I'd help with lessons or help them with their chores for the class etc. It was really fun the special ed teachers tried to ask the principal once if I could go on a field trip with them since they went like every other week . But, I wasn't allowed to. I also helped organize after school activities or parties that happened once a month. I don't have the time anymore now that I'm in highschool but everyday in the hallways one of the kids will see me and wave at me or even give me a hug