Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to care for?

Default how to care for?

I am looking into buying a cloth diaper. I have found an all in one diaper from a local store and I am wondering.

1. How are AIO's?
    2. How do I wash them
    3. Any user opinions on them

As with a regular cloth diaper, where would be the best place to buy one off the net and how do I care for them?

Thanks.

This is relevant to my interests. As of yet there appears to be no Wiki article on cloth diapers.

Personally I wouldn't use cloth diapers unless it was through a diaper service for sanitary reasons. I am going to start going cloth once I move out. Check your local diaper service people because a lot of them do both baby and adult (at least mine does)

Quote Originally Posted by Omorashi View Post
    Personally I wouldn't use cloth diapers unless it was through a diaper service for sanitary reasons. I am going to start going cloth once I move out. Check your local diaper service people because a lot of them do both baby and adult (at least mine does)
    Forgive my stupidity, but what does a diaper service do, exactly?

Well back in the day before disposables diaper service was very common in most major cities. They delivered clean diapers and picked up the soiled and wet ones. They took them to their facility and washed and sanitized them along with plastic and rubber pants too. They even went as far as providing larger diapers for disabled children and bed wetters too. Some even provided service for adults. I looked into this after I retired from the military and moved back home. I then found out that Fort Wayne IN no longer had a diaper service. I remember just a few years prior to this (the early to mid 90s) there was a diaper service available here because our neighbor across the street from my family used it for her 2 boys. I looked into having them possibly taking care of my diaper needs after I got settled into my apartment and they had closed their doors and were no longer in service. I also remember my mother using diaper service for me when we lived in Southern California back in the mid 60s for my bed wetting diapers. I know that this was long and drawn out and hope that this has informed you what diaper service is and was.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledbbw View Post
    Well back in the day before disposables diaper service was very common in most major cities. They delivered clean diapers and picked up the soiled and wet ones. They took them to their facility and washed and sanitized them along with plastic and rubber pants too. They even went as far as providing larger diapers for disabled children and bed wetters too. Some even provided service for adults. I looked into this after I retired from the military and moved back home. I then found out that Fort Wayne IN no longer had a diaper service. I remember just a few years prior to this (the early to mid 90s) there was a diaper service available here because our neighbor across the street from my family used it for her 2 boys. I looked into having them possibly taking care of my diaper needs after I got settled into my apartment and they had closed their doors and were no longer in service. I also remember my mother using diaper service for me when we lived in Southern California back in the mid 60s for my bed wetting diapers. I know that this was long and drawn out and hope that this has informed you what diaper service is and was.
    That is actually a really neat concept. Did you have to pay like a monthly fee for them, or was it a civic service that the city provided?

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    That is actually a really neat concept. Did you have to pay like a monthly fee for them, or was it a civic service that the city provided?
    You pay a monthly fee depending on how many diapers you would like to receive weekly. It is really cheap and convenient. A lot of them are shutting down but there are a bunch of diaper services in Oregon for some reason, and there are a few of them that supply adult diapers. I like the idea of having freshly cleaned and sanitized cloth diapers delivered at my door daily. Cloth diapers can be a lot of work if you have to clean them by yourself though.

Someone else asked about getting all in one diapers, and some members said don't get them. They're harder to wash and dry, and when the plastic outer layer goes, so goes the diaper. I would get a gauze, night weight, pre-fold diaper and plastic pants. You can wash the plastic pants in the shower when you take a shower, and then dry it hanging on a line. I put mine on a plastic hanger.

The diapers I also wash in the shower when I take my shower. I let them dry until I accumulate enough of them, and then I do a washer load on the heaviest, longest setting.

They take work, but for me, they feel so good. Also, you can get baby print plastic pants, and they look...well.....babyish.