Thread: 'Sex Not Specified' - now officially recognised.

EmeraldsAndLime

Default 'Sex Not Specified' - now officially recognised.

Sex not specified: Australia leads the way with legal document

Full article:

Summary:

The NSW government in Australia has issued what is believed to be the world’s first ‘Sex Not Specified’ Recognised Details Certificate in place of a birth certificate..

Norrie, a member of Sex and Gender Education (SAGE), a lobby group campaigning for the rights of all sex and gender diverse people has been issued with what is understood to be the world’s first ‘Sex Not Specified’ Recognised Details Certificate in place of a birth certificate.

I think it's important to note that this simply isn't a "third gender", but rather the whole sex-spectrum is being recognised.

I don't have strong feelings either way, so I'm just throwing it out there since I know there are some people on here who'll find this interesting.

So... thoughts?

Butterfly Mage

Well, it'll be a real plus for the folks that are hermaphrodites. It's very rare but it dies happen that individuals are born with physical attributes of both genders.

*nods* thats not to say it isnt more than slightly odd (zie.. as a pronoun, sounds a really foreign sounding phrase but thats niether here nor there. , woot, go the aussie court system

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Well, it'll be a real plus for the folks that are hermaphrodites. It's very rare but it dies happen that individuals are born with physical attributes of both genders.
    The preferred term is "intersexed", and it encompasses a wide range of gender-related issues, from chromosomal abnormalities to androgen insensitivity syndrome.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    The preferred term is "intersexed", and it encompasses a wide range of gender-related issues, from chromosomal abnormalities to androgen insensitivity syndrome.
    Thanks for the correction. I had heard the word before, but I did not know the context in which it should be used. I appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I think it's important to note that this simply isn't a "third gender", but rather the whole sex-spectrum is being recognised.
    This is an important thing to point out.

As for Australia making 'sex not specified' an actual legal classification--well, cool. It is a biological fact that some people are born with ambiguous genitalia (intersex), so it makes the most sense to let them grow up enough to figure out who they are--female, male, or still unspecified. Forcing them into the male or female category (particularly by means of surgery) when they have no say just seems... cruel.

And it seems also within the realm of possibility that there are people, born with non-ambiguous genitalia, who identify as neither male nor female. From talking with them, it seems that many just want their identification to be acknowledged as valid and don't want everybody they meet trying to place them into one box or the other.

This ruling doesn't affect me personally, but it still kinda brought a smile to my face. Go Australia.