Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another linux question

Default Yet another linux question

Ok so i installed Linux Kubuntu along side 7 on my desktop and when i load it everything is very small(unreadable). The start bar it cut off by the bottom of the screen.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS card. My computer is hooked up to my 32" Sharp AQUOS via DVI to HDMI.

Anything i can use to re size the screen or is the third party software for my card that will run under linux

I think the resolution is not scaling properly. Try lowering the resolution to 1280x720... If you can get a good disp. @ that res, you can try upping it until you reach your limit ( although if the TV is a 720p HD, then this is all you're going to get..

I have tried all the resolutions i can get some that i can read but parts of the screens are still cut off. And yes it runs in 720p but i think i can change it

Install the drivers nVidia for your card. Proprietary (restricted) drivers should be available if you go to System>>Administration>>Hardware Drivers. After you do that, you should be able to go into the nView panel and be able to adjust your screen positioning.

Also be sure that your Refresh rate is set to 60Hz. LCD monitors don't play nice with refresh rates that they support but don't match their native refresh rate.

Tenderheart

I've had several issues with getting my desktop to display properly on my tv. I ended up writing my xorg.conf file by hand using twinview. I hope you don't have to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Entity' View Post
    Install the drivers nVidia for your card. Proprietary (restricted) drivers should be available if you go to System>>Administration>>Hardware Drivers. After you do that, you should be able to go into the nView panel and be able to adjust your screen positioning.

Also be sure that your Refresh rate is set to 60Hz. LCD monitors don't play nice with refresh rates that they support but don't match their native refresh rate.

Installed but still not able to adjust anything

Set your TV Settings to "Just Scan"

There could possibly be Underscan or Overscan...

You ARE using an HDMI connection and DVI - HDMI are electrically similar. Only diff is that DVI won't carry sound.

What is your TV's model number?

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Set your TV Settings to "Just Scan"

There could possibly be Underscan or Overscan...

You ARE using an HDMI connection and DVI - HDMI are electrically similar. Only diff is that DVI won't carry sound.

What is your TV's model number?
    Sharp AQUOS LC-C3234U - Flat-panel TVs - CNET Archive

Butterfly Mage

Did you try reducing the point size of the default text? I set my laptop to the smallest standard size and now everything fits correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    Did you try reducing the point size of the default text? I set my laptop to the smallest standard size and now everything fits correctly.
    how?