Thread: Philosophy

Default Philosophy

I have read some work by Plato and found it interesting. So, Could someone give me some suggestions as to what might be some good philosophy books and authors to read? I would like to find some more modern day stuff, but really anything is fine. So, if anyone could recommenced something that would be steller!

DT,

I know that I'm a personal fan of Descartes and Locke, especially as counterpoint to one another. I also really enjoyed reading Rousseau's Social Contract as an introduction to forms of political philosophy. One of the best things about philosophy is that, while it's reflective of the era in which its author existed, we're able to think even more deeply about the concepts introduced within, judge whether they're applicable to our time, and synthesize our own philosophies from them.

I also enjoy reading Ralph Waldo Emerson as an American philosopher, though I think people could argue whether or not he'd be considered one.

I personally would like to say Tupac Shakur and Christopher Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G.) but to be realistic, I used to be somehow intrigued in the works of John Locke. A good way to remember where our democratic structure originated.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    I personally would like to say Tupac Shakur and Christopher Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G.) but to be realistic, I used to be somehow intrigued in the works of John Locke. A good way to remember where our democratic structure originated.
    how would 2pac and Biggie be philosophisers? I mean no disrespect to them(love both of their music, especially big's) but they are just rappers you know!
    Sure pac could be critical against our government sometimes but thats not philosophy, thats just being called critical. not like e.g. Robert Nozick or John Rawls they are philosophisers!

Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics - I haven't had much love for the Plato that I've read so far (Gorgias, Symposium, maybe something else; reading the Republic is on my to-do list), but I loved the Ethics.

Machiavelli's The Prince was awesome - agree or disagree with his views on how to rule, he gets how the world works. I plan on reading Discourses on Livy soon.