View Poll Results: Are the recent earthquakes around the world worrying you?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, the end of the world is near!

    7 12.28%
  • NO, Regular Tectonic Plate Activity

    39 68.42%
  • I Don't Care/Other

    8 14.04%
  • Concerned, Too many deaths lately!

    3 5.26%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: More Earthquakes! End of the World?

  1. #1

    Default More Earthquakes! End of the World?

    Today we experienced yet another earthquake in the country of Turkey.

    CNN Article - Dozens Dead from earthquake in Turkey

    Apparently it was a pre-dawn earthquake and it came up as a 6.0 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey that has reportedly killed around 50 people. Now after dealing with the massive Haiti earthquake and the Chile earthquake last week, I am just asking now if any of us is starting to get freaked out about these consistent earthquakes and how this can relate to the end of the world. I had a discussion about this with a pious coworker today and we were discussing about possible connections to this and the end of the world. So, what do you think?

    Let us pray for those who are suffering in this current disaster.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Mako

    Default

    People keep building large cities over fault lines. Not their fault, didn't have the knowledge during the founding. But it's bound to happen eventually. Earthquakes increase the chance of more earthquakes.

    If the california fault finally goes off from all this increase seismic activity, you're going to have a lot more people screaming the end is nigh. But it'll be just as dumb then as it is now.

  4. #4
    Butterfly Mage

    Default

    I don't buy into the "rapture" crap for a nanosecond.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Earthquakes increase the chance of more earthquakes.

    If the california fault finally goes off from all this increase seismic activity...
    as a self appointed seismologist, i have to agree! they are much like a chain reaction. but i hope CA doesn't go off, cause it would probably be a big one and i don't want that, no thank you.

  6. #6

    Default

    The idea of the Earth as a stable, unchanging place is just based on our limited perspective and the geologic timescale. For anyone who thinks we're getting innundated with an unprecedented number of quakes, have a look: IRIS Seismic Monitor. Earth is active all the time, it's a lot of heat, power, and pressure looking for an exit and now and again we get to experience the effects firsthand.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Today we experienced yet another earthquake in the country of Turkey.

    CNN Article - Dozens Dead from earthquake in Turkey

    Apparently it was a pre-dawn earthquake and it came up as a 6.0 Magnitude Earthquake in Turkey that has reportedly killed around 50 people. Now after dealing with the massive Haiti earthquake and the Chile earthquake last week, I am just asking now if any of us is starting to get freaked out about these consistent earthquakes and how this can relate to the end of the world. I had a discussion about this with a pious coworker today and we were discussing about possible connections to this and the end of the world. So, what do you think?
    I think your coworker needs to grow up. First off, discussing that kind of subject at work is very dangerous and just begging to get dragged in to a harassment complaint scenario that leads to a bunch of people having to attend another expensive and pointless sensitivity seminar. Second, it's an earthquake. They've been happening for a long, long time. The only thing increasing about earthquakes is our ability to detect and record them, and the number of people living in the affected areas.



    Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Let us pray for those who are suffering in this current disaster.
    I'd rather do something useful. Like donate another $50 to Doctors Without Borders. C'mon people, it's tax season - time to max out your deductions.

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    They've been happening for a long, long time. The only thing increasing about earthquakes is our ability to detect and record them, and the number of people living in the affected areas.
    Exactly.

    There's always going to be somebody preaching the end of the world...I think it's in our nature.

    Besides, justifying the "increasing" frequency of earthquakes would be like justifying the "increasing" numbers of broken temperature records...records are broken every year! There is no change to the current state.

    If there is any "end of the world", it would be the end of the world of illogical thought. Yay for science!

  10. #10

    Default

    i think its just regular tectonic plate activity..although if an earthquake strikes in a place where there is no history of earthquakes then we should worry

Similar Threads

  1. How often do you deal with Earthquakes?
    By LinusBlueSnow in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2009, 01:57
  2. Where in the world?
    By FullMetal in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2009, 02:10
  3. hello world
    By frost in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-Jan-2009, 18:51
  4. Hello, world
    By ShyBaby in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2008, 03:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.