View Poll Results: What type of audio file do you prefere?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • MP3

14 77.78%
  • OGG

0 0%
  • FLAC

4 22.22%
  • WMA

0 0%
  • Other (please explain)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio files

Default Audio files

So I, being the curious guy I am, am wondering what audio file types you prefer and why.

Nothing else to it.

I prefer FLAC files for their sound quality. (thank you Spirit for reminding me of them)

Footed P.J.

Well, I didn't vote, since I don't want to do things the wrong way. But to answer, my stash seems to be mp3. I use iTunes for both music purchases and to webcast radio, as I am doing right now. I think that's all mp3, but I am not a technogeek, so I apologize if I am wrong.

MP3 cos they are easy to get and basic.
    OGG seems ok.
    Never tried FLAC.
    WMA... Well lets not go there.

Either mp3 or ogg. I've never tried flac. WMA I really do not like, especially if there is DRM involved.

Wait, there's a difference between types of file?

I guess I use MP3, since that's the only one I know of!

Actually I think I know what WMA is...

I use ITunes, what's that. Doesn't it have a four in it?

(Yeah, I'm an idiot. )

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    Wait, there's a difference between types of file?

I guess I use MP3, since that's the only one I know of!

Actually I think I know what WMA is...

I use ITunes, what's that. Doesn't it have a four in it?

(Yeah, I'm an idiot. )
    Anything besides m4a, m4v, mp3, and wav is EVIL! That's all you, the iTunes aficionado, need to know!

I use mp3 because of its versatility. Besides, who needs 60 MB freaking large files? I can't even tell the difference most of the time.

I use mp3 for the same "easy to get" reason that Mickal used.
    Plus they take up less space on my mp3 player and my mobile!

I didn't really know what to vote. It depends on what I am downloading. Since I don't pay for my music. IT mainly comes in MP3 form. Even if you do buy it. It does come in MP3 form and thats it. DRM or not. Besides, not as it DRM is easy to get rid of anyway. But Its not needed and totally restricts the point of having MP3s. They are portable. Can got from device to another.

But I have downloading torrents with the .TTA Losless codec. So far, I can play them on VLC. But I need something better than VLC to play them with. And I would convert hem to a 256Kb/s MP3, 44Khz if possible. But I would still retain the original file. I don't seem to have decent enough speaker system to really hear the difference between a lossless codec and a compression one like MP3.

Other the past week I was tempted to get download a TouHou Lossless collection pack thingy. But its like 200GB+. It'll take months. But I guess it would be worth it. THe biggest torrent I have downloaded so far is 26GB.

I also have yet to own a portable media player. Whether it'll play FLAC or TTA files. I don't know. As I need the money first :P.

I like AIFF because they usually have much higher bit rates, but they are bloody HUGE. A 3 minute clip could be like 50MB! I'll stick with MP3 because of its versatility like Point said.

EmeraldsAndLime

I usually go for mp3 files, mostly because they are easy to get.

But also, I'm slightly deaf (well, not deaf... rather, my hearing is that of a 40-50 year old). So to me there is no noticeable difference between a high quality mp3 and FLAC.