Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic pants are not a fix for bad diapers!

Default Plastic pants are not a fix for bad diapers!

So about a month ago I was strolling through our local thrift store trying to find me some deals on diapers. I heard good things about snagging some cheap diapers and I was not going to let the last few times of nothing deter me. Well fortunately I hit the jackpot when it came to scoring lots of diapers for cheap. I'm talking about $0.165 per diaper!

Now these diapers are pretty terrible. I'm assuming they're designed for hospital use as they're cheaply made, highly conspicuous (the back of the diaper has so much extra plastic it goes to the mid point of my back!), has no front waste band, two tapes which come undone very easily and they can't hold past one light wetting; oh yeah they're medical ugly blue too! (Only the best for those who actually need them right?) I've worn about 15 or so in the past few weeks (still so many left to go through...) And on about 9 of those occasions I've leaked. The only times I haven't are when I'm standing up, letting things go very slowly and not wetting again. But whats the fun in that when you're trying to pretend you're wetting the bed!

So last night I decided I was going to suck it up and buy some Depends. I've actually had more luck with them than most (save for the time I flooded it and my brother almost caught me when I was trying to dry my bed at 6:00 AM). I found that the thrift store was closed by the time I got there but I had been oblivious to the huge medical supply store sitting about 150 meters away. I scoured the store and eventually hit upon the adult diaper isle. Not too many choices for it being a medical supply store which brought on a slight disappointment.

I decided I'd save my money and try and see if I could make those craptastic diapers work. Something caught my eye in the store; a small, tiny section of adult plastic pants. I grabbed a vinyl elastic one in size medium and went on my merry little way. I got home, diapered up a few hours later (when I was sure I wouldn't be bugged... stupid brother!!!) and put on my find.

I felt a surge of confidence. These will stop any leaks from happening. These will make sure my bed is dry in the morning. I wet my diaper before going to sleep. I wet it a lot apparently - no leaks, success! Around 3:00AM I woke up having to go very badly again. Well, let's just say after feeling the leg guards and waste band slowly get wetter and wetter I had to wash my sheets in the morning.

So even these plastic pants which fit quite well couldn't save these diapers from making my bed cold and wet! I still have some faith that these plastic pants would work in synergy with a better diaper but for now I'm stuck with these terrible diapers. I want to donate them to some chairty but I'd feel to guilty giving some diaper that will cause leaks and ultimately fail at it's goal to someone who needs it.

I can't wait until I get my own place. I mean I love my brother but I'd rather not live with Mr. Nosey when I want to have my privacy. Then I'll have some glorious Bambinos or Abenas... something that won't let me down I hoep!

Tl;dr:
    My diapers suck, plastic pants can't even stop them from leaking!

The medical supply store plastic pants aren't really the best. The online distributors have much better pairs for sale.

Plastic pants will only hold back small leaks unless they are cloth lined. You may be able to stuff your crappy diapers with baby diapers so they are more absorbent.

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    Plastic pants will only hold back small leaks unless they are cloth lined. You may be able to stuff your crappy diapers with baby diapers so they are more absorbent.
    What he said. Plastic pants are only useful for very, very small amounts (<1 ounce) of wetness that may press out at the back of your diaper when you sit down. If there's enough urine to start pooling in the plastic pants--forget about it. A favorite quote from an online store selling plastic pants: 'plastic pants are designed to keep your pants dry, not stem the tide.' Basically, once your diaper has exceeded its max capacity, the plastic pants aren't going to do much good.

If you want, you can stick something absorbent (a small towel) in the plastic pants to absorb the leaks from the disposable. I've done this, and it works pretty well. Just make sure that no towel is sticking out of the leg or waist bands, 'cuz it will wick moisture onto your clothes/sheets.

Also, stuffing with baby diapers works really, really well.

Lesson learned and noted. Come a little more than half a year (I should have my own place by then) I'll probably be making my first purchase with cosyndry... their onesies and plastic pants have been calling me for a while now!

Most of the reason to wear plastic pants with disposables is to help support the diaper and reduce the leakage of odors... as noted, they don't really do much against liquid leaks.

Re. cheap diapers; you usually get what you pay for. Try doubling them up. Cut a number of slits in the outer material of the inside one, then put an uncut one on over that. It effectively doubles the capacity. Also has the added benefit of bulking up nicely...if you enjoy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan View Post
    Re. cheap diapers; you usually get what you pay for. Try doubling them up. Cut a number of slits in the outer material of the inside one, then put an uncut one on over that. It effectively doubles the capacity. Also has the added benefit of bulking up nicely...if you enjoy that.
    This is very freaky as about 5 minutes I did exactly this. Wearing 2 diapers (one with slits) and of course the plastic pants for added effect.

In otherwords... STOP READING MY MIND!!!

Thinking of doing this with my goodnights i spent like $20 on. Don't fit me . Not because I am too fat but my hip bones stick out too much I guess. Stuffing a goodnight in a abri-form x-plus seems kind of pointless though