Thread: How do YOU gauge someone's personality?

Default How do YOU gauge someone's personality?

Okay, say you're meeting someone for the first time, my question is... What steps would YOU take in trying to judge their personality? I mean, people say 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' but I mean, come on. Be real.

Personally, I...

1. Watch body language. Proven fact is that your body does 90% of 'the talking' if you get what I mean.
    2. Eye contact - If someone can't look me in the face and talk to me, I kinda get offended and tend to start thinking of them as kind of... Not on my awesomeness list.
    3. Test their moral limits of conversation, like talking about things that slowly push more and more intensely on someone's feelings. Go over some increasingly sensitive subjects. Like, politics and such. I don't know why the fuck people get so into politics. I don't understand the whole Meet The Press thing

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAwesome View Post
    Okay, say you're meeting someone for the first time, my question is... What steps would YOU take in trying to judge their personality? I mean, people say 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' but I mean, come on. Be real.

Personally, I...

1. Watch body language. Proven fact is that your body does 90% of 'the talking' if you get what I mean.
    I actually have always read it's 60% body language, 30% tone and 10% words...but yeah, it does have an impact. I don't tend to notice it on first impressions, though...that's just me. Tone, however, plays a big part for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAwesome
    2. Eye contact - If someone can't look me in the face and talk to me, I kinda get offended and tend to start thinking of them as kind of... Not on my awesomeness list.
    Again, this is something I don't really pay attention to on first impressions, but over time I do...I think it's because sometimes I'm shy during first impressions and I don't always have the strongest eye contact at first.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAwesome
    3. Test their moral limits of conversation, like talking about things that slowly push more and more intensely on someone's feelings. Go over some increasingly sensitive subjects. Like, politics and such. I don't know why the fuck people get so into politics. I don't understand the whole Meet The Press thing
    Ha ha...I laugh because I have friends who are like you in that regard, but I'm the exact opposite...during first impressions, I don't want to touch on sensitive subjects at all....I want it to be relaxed and fun. That's what I base my first impressions on...how comfortable I feel with someone and how easy it is to have fun with them, get along with them and be at ease. To me if I can do that, then I can deal with a lot of other personality differences just fine, even if the person is quite different than me.

I usaly have to take a look at the way they talk. To me and others. Also I usaly look at there face to see what they are like most of the time. Make me wish i wasn't so blank faced.

How compassionate and understanding they are. I want someone who likes me for me, and not what I have.

I do this mainly because I don't want to be meeting a maniac when I talk. I try to look out for distinct subtleties but I personally think that my detecting for mental disorders (ie: Aspergers) is amazing.

YES. I always expect some eye contact yet even though I know that I don't follow that correctly. It must also be understood that there are some cultures in the world in which eye contact is forbidden, but in the good ol' USA this is not as much as a problem.

I do this with sports. I will start something if you are a Red Sox fan or a Cowboys fan (Redskins and Yankees fan myself) but I will always do this also with recent news. Religion and politics are topics that should only be used with discretion due to their high amount of potential controversies that could ensue. I could have knocked out this guy once for his highly atheistic views about life (in a time where he was depressed as shit in his life and I worried if he would commit suicide; but now happily a stoner now) and me being a reflective and open person, but nonetheless a Catholic. I can deal with most religion jabber but that was scary and depressing. Also don't try to crush my dreams like he did that day. But back to topic, subtlety is the key to this.

I think that these are the three main types of things that I can relate to when I am looking for a new person, and I think that there can be more that I am not really sure why I am not writing about right know but whatever. Enjoy this conversation kids!