Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you racist, heterosexist, agist?

Sys

Default Are you racist, heterosexist, agist?

Do you think you hold prejudice against different groups? I think most people would certainly deny it, but are they? Are they just witholding their views to not sound bad? It can be hard to tell sometimes... and other times not...

Yet there's a controversial psychologyical method to determine these questions in the topic title and more. Its run through Harvard and it's called Project Implicit, also knows as the Implicit Association Test (IAT). For some information on the project click here.

It's interesting to take a demo test. Anyone can do it, and it doesn't take too long to go through. When you go to the site you can choose to take a variety of demo tests, such as different views of racism, heterosexist, etc. Or you can actively participate in on-going research topics that the researchers are looking at.

The instructions are given to you when you click on each test and they're pretty straight forward. Give it a shot and see what it says. After that, if you want, share your results. Also, if you take a test, tell what you did or didn't like about the IAT.

Project Implicit

"Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes... but that doesn't mean we go around committing, hate crimes."

YouTube - Avenue Q Broadway Musical - Everyone's A Little Bit Racist recording & lyrics

im a little bit racist

I'm not racist, but I'll admit that when I am walking or driving alone at night, I tend to be more afraid of black or Hispanic people, but not as afraid of whites or Polynesians. I've grown up in a mostly white community all my life, which isn't a good excuse, but it's the way I deal, I guess.

It has taken me a long time to become comfortable with homosexuality as a whole. When I was younger, I was a really horrible homophobe, but as I've gotten older, it's not an issue for me. People are people, no matter their sexuality or race.

I think even though we all know how we SHOULD act toward other people, we all still have our difficulties with prejudice.

Cool Stuff

Your data suggest little or no association between Black American and White American with Harmless Objects and Weapons.

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

Mako

So I have a slight preference towards asians over europeans
    I slight preference to Europeans over african americans.
    I have an automatic prefence for able bodies of disabled people.
    I have a strong assocication with natives as foriegn and white as american.
    I view Bhuddists slightly positive, christians and muslims the same as neutral, and jews slightly negative. (that ones off, I think all their magic men are silly, also I kept associating jesus as a jew... because he was.)
    I have an automatic preference to gay people over straight people. (Screw them vanilla mundies. Granted I kept selecting humiliate as good >.>)
    And I have a moderate assocation with men and science and women with making sammches, I mean art.

That's all I've taken for now.

EmeraldsAndLime

I'm an Australian Racist.

For the most part it's socially acceptable to be racist here, though it's more a matter of cultural context. Some Australians are legitimately racist, but most just say things to be socially accepted. If you ever find yourself down here, it'll hopefully (and quickly) become apparent that it's a form of jesting, a way to "break the ice", or observational humour.

Generally speaking, down here we feel that you should be able to make fun of everything, or nothing at all. Very few things are in a 'grey area', and racism is not one of them. It's important to note that if an Australian does make a derogatory comment about your ethnicity, nationality, gender, or whatever, they're probably just jesting and it's best to just laugh it off and play along.
    Last edited by EmeraldsAndLime; 05-Mar-2010 at 12:54. Reason: spelling/grammar fixes

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    I'm Australian Racist.

For the most part it's socially acceptable to be racist here, though it's more a matter of cultural context. Some Australians are legitimately racist, but most just say things to be socially accepted. If you ever find yourself down here, it'll hopefully (and quickly) become apparent that it's a form of jesting, a way to "break the ice", or observational humour.

Generally speaking, down here we feel that you should be able to make fun of everything, or nothing at all. Very few things are in a 'grey area', and racism is not one of them. It's important to note that if an Australian does make a derogatory comment about your ethnicity, nationality, gender, or whatever, they're probably just jesting and it's best to just laugh it off and play along.
    Australia just keeps becoming more and more odd over time in my view. You can't have video games that are too violent or "promotes" drugs (fallout 3, L4D2), but it's fine to be openly racist, even if it's only for kicks.

Though I guess the kid with the hat and sunglasses makes up for it. "Im sorry, but I won't take off my hat"

EmeraldsAndLime

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Australia just keeps becoming more and more odd over time in my view. You can't have video games that are too violent or "promotes" drugs (fallout 3, L4D2), but it's fine to be openly racist, even if it's only for kicks.
    No, that's just one guy who's cockblocking an R-rating for games. Unfortunately he holds a seat in an electorate full of people who are extremely pro family values, so he keeps getting elected.

Most Australians do want an R-rating for games, but the vote for it needs to be unanimous.

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Straight People compared to Gay People."
    Oh dear!

"Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Arab Muslims compared to Other People."
    That's quite odd!

These tests are interesting, but I'm not sure how useful they are. I don't think they answer any questions like "Are you racist, etc.?".
    I think gay people do get associated with negative things, it's just something negative about the media...
    I don't understand the Muslim test though! Pictures relating to Islam might have gotten a more negative reaction than just Asian names. That test was really easy; I have no real positive or negative feelings about the names of people, because the media doesn't really focus on that.