Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Internet way too slow

Default Internet way too slow

My internet is often much slower than it should be....

My modem reports the following...

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 2144 KBits/Sec by 0864 KBits/Sec

... but I only seem to be getting that speed about one or two days of the week. This is something new that started back in January or December. Before then, it seemed like my internet was usually at normal speed. I just replaced the router last night, but it hasn't had any effect on these speed problems. Anyone have any ideas of what's going on?

one thing that hurt me as far as "speed" reported vs. actually getting was noise on the line. Living in an old section of here hurts because all of the lines are either unnecessarily long and/or degraded. Check to see if they put in any line splitters. Those too can cause issues if set up wrong (*raises hand* that one was my fault, heh O.0). If none of these can solve your issue and you have a strong signal to your modem and your router is fine and firmware updated, see if they can install a line amplifier (absolutely LAST resort). Keep in mind, this will amplify signal AND noise on the line. Before our lines were replaced, they used one of these on our main line to reduce the issue.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    My internet is often much slower than it should be....

My modem reports the following...

DSL Connect Rate (Down/Up) 2144 KBits/Sec by 0864 KBits/Sec

... but I only seem to be getting that speed about one or two days of the week. This is something new that started back in January or December. Before then, it seemed like my internet was usually at normal speed. I just replaced the router last night, but it hasn't had any effect on these speed problems. Anyone have any ideas of what's going on?
    Quite a few.

First find out your actual provisioned speed. If you're on a 3m/768k package, then your testing speeds aren't outside of reasonable fluctuation. Make sure those are the speeds you're getting when the net is slow.

There are 4 places where speed issues occur. CO (your ISP) to NID (your place), NID to modem, modem to/through local network to the PC, and inside the PC itself.

We're first going to need to determine which one of these 4 areas it is occuring. We'll leave CO to NID last as that will be the responsibility of your ISP, and you won't want to speak to india until the very end. There are also other things that may cause a speed issue, but are actually caused by something else.

Now first find out the speeds you are supposed to be getting. You should be able to locate this on one of your billing statements if you don't know it off hand. Next, when you are experiencing a lot of slow down run a speed test from one of the varying speed tests sites on the net. Make sure you turn off all downloads, IM's, chats, and anything else that's connected to get a proper picutre of your speed results.

If your speed results are fairly similar to the speed package you are paying for, we are not looking at an issue from the PC out to the CO. At this point we will want to look at the PC itself to see what the issue is. Virus/spyware scan, try a different browser (if you don't have a back-up browser, get one. Never rely on a single browser. I use Firefox with Chrome as my backup). If these don't pan out it may also be a packet loss issue. Since this is already going to be a text wall I won't explain that unless it comes to it.

Now if you do see a significant difference between your speed package and what your speed test results are we do have a slow-down issue. Now is the time to going about seeing where the cause is. So we have to answer some questions.

Is the slowdown happening on one PC, or ALL pcs.
    If it is occuring only on a single PC, I'd swap the ethernet connection between the pc and the router. If it's wireless, plug in and retest.
    If it is occuring on all computers then isolate one of your computers directly to your modem and see if it tests normally. If it does, then you might have a computer in the network hogging your bandwidth from excessive downloads or a virus. If it still tests slow, swap the ethernet and test again. If it goes back to normal, it was the cord connecting to modem to the router. If not, we're going to keep investigating.

{{{EDIT: YOU ARE NOW HERE.}}}

So at this point if the speed issue is still occuring we've eliminated the probability of this issue occuring between your computer to your modem. That leaves between your modem to your phone jack as anything beyond that point you'll want to talk to your ISP about. So lets get to eliminating the last part that is within your control.

Does your modem plug directly into a telephone jack, or does it dollychain with another or share the jack with another device with a 2 for 1 adapter. If it is not plugging directly into the jack then do so and retest your speeds. If it is or still tests slow while isolated then try changing out the telephone cable for a different one. Retest.
    How many telephone jacks carry that number? If there are other devices using that number are they filtered? If this is the only jack then it is time to call your ISP. If you have mulitple jacks and have other devices on them (phone, fax, etc) are those devices filtered? If they are unfilitered and it hasn't been an issue before then do not worry about filtering now. Either way go about disconnecting other devices that share the telephone number and retest. If the speeds test normal go about connecting one by one and retesting. When the speed drops we know its rather that device causing issues with the noise margin or the wiring for that jack.
    If the speeds test slow while all other devices are unplugged, then time to call your ISP.

Long text wall I know. But it's a process of elimination that will be able to tell you the important things of troubleshooting. What's the problem, where is the problem, and if this is the ISP's problem.
    Last edited by Mako; 07-Mar-2010 at 13:20.

I can't see spyware/viruses being the problem. I do a pretty good job keeping my computer clean of all that crap. UNLESS... the virus is on another computer. I should check them. It seems that every computer in the house is getting the same slow speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako
    First find out your actual provisioned speed. If you're on a 3m/768k package, then your testing speeds aren't outside of reasonable fluctuation. Make sure those are the speeds you're getting when the net is slow.
    That SHOULD be my speed, but I only get it rarely now. Lately I get a speed more like 768/128. My modem still reports what my speed should be, but I don't actually get that speed. That's what made me think my router was the problem... which was wrong.

I will post more info when I have some.

Mako

I can't see spyware/viruses being the problem. I do a pretty good job keeping my computer clean of all that crap. UNLESS... the virus is on another computer. I should check them. It seems that every computer in the house is getting the same slow speeds.

That SHOULD be my speed, but I only get it rarely now. Lately I get a speed more like 768/128. My modem still reports what my speed should be, but I don't actually get that speed. That's what made me think my router was the problem... which was wrong.

I will post more info when I have some.
    Definitely run a speed test from a website. Most large ISPs have one right on their official site. See if they match up.

They do not match up. The speed test agreed with my actual slow speed, rather than the modem's report of what I should have.

The other computers are off. Speed remains just as slow. I did a hijackthis scan and removed a couple things, but no speed change.

I did a line quality test and came up with a little problem, though I am having a little bit of trouble interpreting the test results. I also suspect that this is a problem that already existed.... and possibly not related to the current problem. (Unless the problem is somehow worse than it was before).

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8122/line1r.jpg
    http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1185/line2p.jpg

Also, I have about a million different web browsers. Obvious exaggeration, I know, but I have many.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 05-Mar-2010 at 04:39.

Mako

Keep going in the instructions.

They do not match up. The speed test agreed with my actual slow speed, rather than the modem's report of what I should have.

The other computers are off. Speed remains just as slow. I did a hijackthis scan and removed a couple things, but no speed change.

I did a line quality test and came up with a little problem, though I am having a little bit of trouble interpreting the test results. I also suspect that this is a problem that already existed.... and possibly not related to the current problem. (Unless the problem is somehow worse than it was before).

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8122/line1r.jpg
    http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1185/line2p.jpg

Also, I have about a million different web browsers. Obvious exaggeration, I know, but I have many.
    Have you had a lot of rain or snow lately? It's a long-shot, but bundles getting saturated and needing to be pulled out and dried are not unheard of.

How about the voice side of the line? Has that changed at all? Any ground-hum or static hiss that wasn't there before?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I already checked some of that stuff. It happens on all the computers, wired and wireless. I want to try a few things, but I'm pretty sure we can rule out viruses and spyware by now. It's not just one computer and they all seem clean anyway. Also, I replaced the modem-to-router ethernet cable when I installed the new router.

I really don't understand though. How could the problem be anywhere before the modem if the modem iself does report the speeds I should be getting? I mean, I'm not getting those speeds on any of the computers, but doesn't it mean the modem is receiving them, at least? If it weren't, then would't it report a lower number? That's how it would work normally when this problem isn't occurring. Could the modem itself be bad?

We had tons of snow last month, but this problem was happening off and on before then. What bundles do you mean? And I don't think anything has changed on the phones. No new static or anything like that.

Butterfly Mage

That's a lot faster than my internet speed. When I pair my cell phone to my computer, I usually get between 115k-160k. Egads!