View Poll Results: Are you a misanthrope?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am.

7 21.21%
  • Not really.

10 30.30%
  • I am somewhere in-between.

13 39.39%
  • Geez, this really is a silly poll, isn't it?

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a misanthrope?

Default Are you a misanthrope?

I most certainly am.

Don't get me wrong. I am able to go out into the world and make friends, and I do enjoy my social life.

But I look at mankind at a whole. I look at the casual atrocities that most people are willing to partake in without a second thought. I look at how spoiled my own country is, where people bitch if they can't afford cable TV, while they should be fucking overjoyed and thankful they are eating better than the folks in Haiti. Most people in the world feel they have the right to say whether somebody they disagrees with should live or die, even - and that is outright disgusting to me.

Brutality is alive and well in the world. And there are a lot of people who are very well aware of what is going on, and there are a lot of people who are in a position to do something about it and choose to do nothing. I'm not saying people should give all of their disposable income to any fucking charity, I am saying that the sheer inaction of people who pretend to give a fuck is the greatest friend of the brutal folk.

There are people who are too lazy and apathetic to care about anything that happens outside of their cozy little lives, and yet they still bitch about not being able to live like a billionaire when they should be thankful they are living comfortably at all. There are people who do take action to support their hateful and fanatical causes, people who get pleasure out of supporting causes that they know will hate people they don't even know, because they have convinced themselves that they are always right. There are people who talk a great deal about everything that is wrong with the world, but are doing not a motherfucking thing about it.

These are the reasons why I have become a misanthrope.

I wish I could love mankind, but how can I when I can't even bring myself to trust it worth a damn?

There should be a option that says "Had to google misanthrope because I didn't know what it was"
    Anyway I chose Not really because, as a race, were not bad or anything to hate, it just that some people are bad any that is all the media shows so you never here about that John Doe who was late for work because a women got her car stuck in the ditch and he helped her. All we here about are the bad people.

Meh, I love all humans like I love almost every animal (Except squids and octopuses, they're kinda gross), sure, we do a lot of bad, but hey, every species on Earth does bad, every day. We're just really good at it, due to our intelligence and cunning. I look to the small things that people do for each other. You know, the stereotypical Boy Scout helping the old lady across the street, people donating time and money to charity, it inspires hope in me, for the entire human race.

Butterfly Mage

Generally speaking, I sometimes find my religious beliefs at odds with what I REALLY think about mankind, ha ha. I look at much of humanity with a jaundiced eye -- particularly mankind's corporate, political, and religious leaders. I grew up having to walk without a net to catch me, so in my adult life I avoid depending on others whenever possible. While I have friends that I am very willing to support by word and deed, I rarely ask for anything in return.

I "trust" humanity, but not in the way most people understand the word trust. In other words, I have confidence that the average person will take the easiest, most self-serving path in any given situation. I have trust in the notion that most people are utterly incapable of even a scintella of self-sacrifice for the greater good. And I fully believe that most people will seek instant gratification at all costs.

Somewhere in between. At times I think humanity is just disgusting as a whole and simply hopeless, but I don't necessarily think there aren't good people out there. It's complicated. Sometimes I hope the world ends tomorrow, but sometimes I hope the human race thrives for thousands to millions of years. We're an amazing & intelligent race of beings, but we just really suck as well. Hopefully the universe has better to offer than us though.

I also had to google misanthrope 'blush' I actually believe that whilst there are some really nasty people in this world, its made up by some really awesome people who do all they can for other people. I guess its the balance that keeps the spice of life interesting. Its not easy to believe when all the media do is point out the bad bits though...

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I "trust" humanity, but not in the way most people understand the word trust. In other words, I have confidence that the average person will take the easiest, most self-serving path in any given situation. I have trust in the notion that most people are utterly incapable of even a scintella of self-sacrifice for the greater good. And I fully believe that most people will seek instant gratification at all costs.
    I couldn't have said it better!

No, I think that the vast majority of people are good, honest, hard working who would help out their fellow man if needed.

There are a few bad apples that seem to get the most news, so it skews perception of people as a whole group.

If you can't afford cable, do the smart thing, save your cash, tell the ripoff masters to get lost, and put up an antenna. It doesn't have to be big or unsightly, there are many options to receive OTA TV, from rabbit ears up to a big outdoor Yagi ( what I have ).
    I don't think a big antenna is unsightly, to me it's a big sign that say's, ha ha cable/satellite gougers, I'm saving big bucks every month ( over 8 grand in the last 15 yrs.) I can live with 10 channels and the HD picture quality is better than cable because the OTA signal is not compressed like it is on cable.