Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S.

Default Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S.

Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S. - Yahoo! News

I will withhold my thoughts until others have weighed in on this.

Peachy

That's old news here. They were just unwilling to accept that all kids must attend school until the age of 15 here. The concept of "home schooling" does not exist here, and never has. Ever since the inception of public schools, students had to go there.

Peachy

Butterfly Mage

Generally, I think home schooling is a terrible idea. The ones who go for it are always religious fanatics that want to brainwash their children rather than actually teach them. Yeah, some of the "unacceptable" beliefs taught in secular schools include things like plate tectonics (because you can wind the clock back for billions of years until South America rams into Africa, thereby proving the world is older than 6,000 years old), that other religions predated Christianity by thousands of years, and that Creationism isn't a form of science.

This seems like a very trivial reason to grant political asylum. Especially when you consider cases where asylum was denied to people who faced things like torture and execution at the hands of their governments for engaging in peaceful protests.

Mako

Honestly I don't know how I feel on this. I have possible issues with the parents reasoning about christian values, but that is left extremely vague. Though many parents homeschool to teach an "alternative course" not all of them do, and many homeschooled children excell in academics far beyond that of those in public or private schools. As for being "isolated" that's only from school children, I think it's too brash to assume children will not learn similar social skills by playing with others in the neighbourhood and such.

I think homeschooling should be an option under strict requirements. But if you're pulling your kid from public school just to teach them the earth is 6000 years old, and adam and eve went triceratops racing, then tough shit.

Homeschooling parents tend to want to shield their children from negative influences. But this quest often runs counter to the idea that schools represent society and help promote tolerance.
    This is my favourite counter-point to homeschooling. As much as I hate public school, I must admit that it is necessary. They have problems with their children learning "unChristian" things... They sound like the kind of parents that follow the Bible religiously (hehe) and would probably advocate killing gay people... well, maybe not kill, but still be against them.

If the children are only ever exposed to their parents' religious opinions, then they will turn 18 and only have really one lens with which to view the world, their parents'.

It is commonly said that high school is not to teach math, or science, or even English (replace with your first language). It is to teach people the social skills they will need once they are old enough to handle a steady job, which is something you can only get through practice. You can't just ask random people to hang out so that you are surrounded by friends, strangers and enemies so you can practice coping with them. I'm not saying ALL home-schooled kids are anti-social, but there is a decent enough number.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    As for being "isolated" that's only from school children, I think it's too brash to assume children will not learn similar social skills by playing with others in the neighbourhood and such.
    ok, but I lived in an area full of people >60 years old. If I were home-schooled I would not really hang out with anyone until... actually, I probably wouldn't hang out with anyone IRL, because by the time I'd be old enough to go out and meet people without DIRECT parental supervision (which is too restricting) I wouldn't have the right social skills from being so isolated, which would just isolate me further. That would only work if you lived in a community with a large enough amount of children around your age, slightly younger and slightly older so that you could understand the different dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    This seems like a very trivial reason to grant political asylum. Especially when you consider cases where asylum was denied to people who faced things like torture and execution at the hands of their governments for engaging in peaceful protests.
    That is a sign of blatant racism on the part of the American government. No surprises there. Let some whiny German people into the country, but keep the Middle Easterners who actually are trying to not get brutally murdered (in the most literal sense of the word) out of their borders. Brilliant, real fucking brilliant. Brilliantly disgusting, that is. Just goes to show the German family were real lucky to be German to begin with - if they were trying to flee a tyrannical government who wanted to torture them all to death, the US government would have left them to their deaths without a second thought - happens all the time, actually.

Before anybody starts chiming in against me for having an anti-American bias, I will say that I am an American citizen, and I have every right to criticize my own fucked-up government. It is truly the patriotic thing to do under many circumstances.

Smile

Wow... I think the idea of being granted political asylum is pretty extreme. Surely the parents could have supplemented the children's schooling with their own form of tuition if they wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    That's old news here. They were just unwilling to accept that all kids must attend school until the age of 15 here. The concept of "home schooling" does not exist here, and never has. Ever since the inception of public schools, students had to go there.
    Huh. I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure that in the UK kids can be taught at home (although it's almost unheard of) so long as they follow the government curriculum as a minimum standard.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I'm pretty sure that in the UK kids can be taught at home (although it's almost unheard of) so long as they follow the government curriculum as a minimum standard.
    Well, the article said that it's legal in the UK, but the UK government wants to impose stricture checks in the future.

Over here, the idea of home schooling is not a subject of debate. It's generally accepted that school teaching should be done in organized schools with a state-approve curriculum. Most people simply go to public schools (because it doesn't cost money).
    Germans are quite opposed to the idea of religious fanatics and their teachings and we see the concept of keeping the teaching of children under state control a good measure to restrict fanatism because students will be presented with a realistic picture of what science and society are like. Obviously, that still leaves room for specific ideas taught by parents in the free time, but school lays a foundation to build on.
    Due to the adminstrive set up of the school system, it's also not really possible to introduce radical ideas into a school's curriculum, so the students usually get a rather neutral picture.

Quite frankly, I'm not sad to see that family go. If they think they need to teach their kids some crazy and screwed up ideas and think our school curriculum ruins their kids, then they're better off elsewhere. I just pity the kids who will be having the wrong ideas and no real picture of society and will probably run into many problems in their later life

Peachy

Butterfly Mage

Peachy: I can understand your sentiment. Home schooling is a joke. The tragic thing in the United States is that the public school system is also a joke. There is absolutely no uniformity in standards. For example, Baltimore City schools rate amongst the absolute worst in the country while the Howard County school system (half an hour drive away) ranks amongst the best. Why should that be?

My sister tried the "home schooling" crap but never taught my niece a damned thing. She ended up moving back in with her stepfather and resuming public school. My sister didn't want to teach; she wanted a housekeeper.