Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should The Olympics Exclude Professionals?

Default Should The Olympics Exclude Professionals?

Yes, this is a rant on the US losing the gold to the Canadiens, but think about it...
    'Miracle', etc. all that doesn't matter nowadays because all this is during the Olympics is 'NHL All-Stars Playoff: The Sequal'. This could be a slippery slope though (heh) in cases of 'Pro' sponsored athletes like Shaun White or others who get there picture on the box of Wheaties.
    So what are your thoughts? Can there be even Olympic matches with one or two countries holding all the major pro athletes? Will there ever be a unifying sense of our collegiate athletes going out to one location to 'fight' for gold and the honor of their country? Do the Olympics even matter anymore?

Its about the countries best not the countries amateur best.

Oh would you have us exclude the NBA players who dominant during the summer games?

I want to see the very best take each other on.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're talking about dude. It's not about being fair and square so every country has a chance. That takes away from what the Olympics are supposed to be about - competition to see who's the best at something and world unity and stuff. If Canada has a bunch of terrific hockey players, then good for them. They deserve to win, and they shouldn't have to switch anything up just cause they got a bunch of NHL stars or whatever. Some countries may dominate and other countries may fail tragically when it comes down to it, but that's just how it is. There doesn't have to be a tight competition or a bunch of underdog victories to make it worthwhile. Yeah, that kinda stuff is entertaining, but the it's not a movie - it's sport. Whoever wins earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    Its about the countries best not the countries amateur best.

Oh would you have us exclude the NBA players who dominant during the summer games?

I want to see the very best take each other on.
    I can see your point, but depending on which way you slice it, it could go either way. If you keep it as "play in your native country" then most of our talent would go to Canada, Finland, and scattered about Eastern Europe. If it's "the country you reside in" then most, like the Pittsburgh Penguin player that scored the winning OT goal for Canada would have been playing in the US. Back in 1980, they had professional teams, but for some reason, used players from college teams.

I think the whole point of seeing who in the world is best at something is completely depleted when you don't allow the best to enter. I mean, really.

I thought this was going to be about getting rid of Women's Hockey. It just doesn't have enough talented players outside of Canada to be worth including.

And I like it the way it is. Play for the country you were born in, and professionals should be allowed.

I thought the same thing, Kite, so I know where you're coming from. I of course have the perspective of having watched the Olympics for 50 years or more. I can remember ( now shakes cane and farts) when the communist block countries cheated their asses off at the Olympics. They didn't have "professional sports" because that would have been so bourgeois, but they did have nation backed sports that amounted to the same. Their paid professionals then played against our non-professional college students, and we were slaughtered.

It was because of that that the Olympic committee threw in the towel and allowed all professionals to participate. I believe it has taken the interest out of the competition except for some sports like gymnastics that still has very young participants. But even there, there are some horrifying realities. I understand that the children participating often starve themselves, and by starving and over training, retard their physical development.

Like almost everything we do, we over emphasize winning at all cost. We have great athletes who compete on other countries' teams because they have a winning record. We have terrible doping and find new ways to get around it. The list goes on. This is one reason why I appreciate artists, especially classical artists. They play for the love of the music. They don't make much money, there is just the music. That's how sports should be.

You raise some good points, especially in relation to gymnastics. F*** China and that 12 y/o girl they put through hell.

Anyway. As for the best on Best.

I still say we should let the very best go at it. We have many competitions that allow the weaker players to take each other on (my colleges league as a good example division 70 billion or something horrid like that). But just once and only every two years (Winter/Summer) do we get to see the people who have sacrificed everything, suffered, and punished themselves in ways that leave us gasping with wonder, finally get to take on each other in beautiful display and tribute to mankind's noble pursuit of physical self perfection.

Good idea. I could be the best luger in the world but we'd never know because the only people who have access to a 500 foot ice slide are proffesionals.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Yes, this is a rant on the US losing the gold to the Canadiens, but think about it...
    'Miracle', etc. all that doesn't matter nowadays because all this is during the Olympics is 'NHL All-Stars Playoff: The Sequal'. This could be a slippery slope though (heh) in cases of 'Pro' sponsored athletes like Shaun White or others who get there picture on the box of Wheaties.
    So what are your thoughts? Can there be even Olympic matches with one or two countries holding all the major pro athletes? Will there ever be a unifying sense of our collegiate athletes going out to one location to 'fight' for gold and the honor of their country? Do the Olympics even matter anymore?
    Wrong. The Russians had an All Star team and they were awful. The Americans Meshed this year because they were selected to be Heart and Soul guys who will play hard for each other and that's why they did so well. The Canadians struggled early because they wouldn't leave their egos at check. The Olympics are supposed to showcase the best a sport has to offer, not a best except for the people working right now.

I can see your point, but depending on which way you slice it, it could go either way. If you keep it as "play in your native country" then most of our talent would go to Canada, Finland, and scattered about Eastern Europe. If it's "the country you reside in" then most, like the Pittsburgh Penguin player that scored the winning OT goal for Canada would have been playing in the US. Back in 1980, they had professional teams, but for some reason, used players from college teams.
    Playing in the country you reside in is idiotic. People want to pay to see the best, but the best would NEVER come if it meant they had to represent America. Sidney Crosby is the Pride of Canada. He wouldn't play in the US if it meant he had to play for the US. Also, before 1998, NHL players weren't allowed to play in the Olympics (League rule). Therefore, the other guys were narrowed down. Herbie Brooks Selected the team to mesh together as opposed to the best available and that's why they were successful. All Stars teams fail, like Russia did. Despite how good Canada was, America matched up well against them.