Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.8 Magnitude Chilean Earthquake

Default 8.8 Magnitude Chilean Earthquake

Today, we encounter another earthquake of large magnitude only a little more than one month than the Haitian Earthquake that is still affecting ther lives of thousands of Haitians.

CNN Main Article

Today, a 8.8 magnitude earthquake hit the Latin American country of Chile at 1:34 EST this morning, spreading with dozens of aftershocks later after. As of now, there are a reported 214 dead and possibly thousands injured. Chile has buildings that are built to withstand earthquakes after a 9.5 magnitude earthquake (most energetic earthquake in history) ravaged the country in 1960, and the strongest earthquake since the 9.1 Indian Ocean earthquake that killed hundreds of thousands in 2004 after an ensuing tsunami. Due to the location of the earthquake, there have already been alarms halfway across the Earth in case of a Tsunami, all of which are hoping the best that there is not a repeat of the Tsunami that occurred in 2004. I am hoping for the best for Chile to make a quick recovery after this tragic natural disaster.

Matthew 24:7 NET

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.

Pretty terrible stuff. At least it didn't hit a really concentrated area like the Haiti earthquake did.

Doesn't the energy of the tsunami ride the ocean floor up until it hits the coast where it begins to crest?

I think I heard that from the weather report on my local news. Unfortunately, Hawaii is seriously preparing for the worst now. Lets hope a tsunami doesn't occur that would hit there or anywhere for that matter.

I thought the same thing Kite, but the news services were talking about a tsunami, and so I wondered why would a land based earthquake cause one. Perhaps it was close to the coast. It certainly was large enough to have an outer ring of damage under the earth. It makes one wonder where the next quake will be.

Now I have to search the bible again! Wasn't the tsunami that occurred in 2004 originated from a water based earthquake. Yet I can say that it is strong enough to have a reach that could potentially create a tsunami.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Now I have to search the bible again! Wasn't the tsunami that occurred in 2004 originated from a water based earthquake. Yet I can say that it is strong enough to have a reach that could potentially create a tsunami.
    why the bible? im afraid that i don't get the joke.

I quoted the bible in my original post. The joke was where I am supposed to find where the next quake will happen.

Well the whole of the Pacific is on Tsunami alerts and they have just hit Japan. Thankfully they are a lot smaller than predicted.

It's horrible how this happened so soon after Haiti.

even sydney and the east couast is on warning, ive NEVER heard us asking to be careful in the sydney area, queensland, due to is proximity to the equator, sometimes, but not us this far south.