Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Death Penalty

Default Death Penalty

Ok this may seem weird coming from a Southern living, Libertarian in TN, but...

I think we should abolish our use of the death penalty here in the United States, if for no other reason than to prevent murdering someone just because a group of 12 idiots who base their legal knowledge on episodes of CSI and Law and order get convinced by a master of verbal manipulation that someone is beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty of a capital offense. (Pheww)

Not to mention the double standard of "YOu kill someone, we will kill ya back"

Any thoughts?

My opinion is that if you done something cruel enough to warrant the death penalty then removing someone from society in the cheapest way is the right thing to do. Life in prison is cheaper then the death penalty due to the incredibly high court costs because everything is done tenfold to make sure the guy really is guilty. So I am anti death penalty. Because it's expensive, not because it's best for the inmate.

I'm against death penality too, for the already mentioned reasons: society becomes a murderer as well (law of retaliation - a.k.a. "an eye for an eye" - was abolished quite a while ago), it's antieconomic, and you can't take it back in case there was a mistake in the process.

Despite how accurate legal procedures can be, it has happened several times to kill innocent people this way.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post

I think we should abolish our use of the death penalty here in the United States, if for no other reason than to prevent murdering someone just because a group of 12 idiots who base their legal knowledge on episodes of CSI and Law and order get convinced by a master of verbal manipulation that someone is beyond a shadow of a doubt guilty of a capital offense. (Pheww)

Any thoughts?
    I agree.

As retribution or moral entertainment, capital punishment just seems grotesque. And, from what I've heard, it doesn't seem to act as much of a deterrent either: the kind of people who are going to kill (or whatever) aren't the otherwise sane and rational people who might think "Hmmm.... now what if I get caught? I could handle being in prison for the rest of my life, but death?! That's where I draw the line!"

I should probably find some statistics to back that up... but it's late and I'm feeling lazy!

Anyway, criminal punishment should be primarily concerned with protecting the public and rehabilitating the offender.

I don't support it. Other countries are doing fine without it. Unfortunately, it seems like some or many of the more dangerous criminals might have nothing in their minds but destruction and hate. And then again, the USA doesn't seem to much care what works in other countries (like healthcare reform). Anyway, prisons do seem to work well enough, even for the more dangerous criminals.

i'm against the death penalty for the following reasons:

*it's been statistically proven that it doesn't deter crime.

*it's more expensive than life imprisonment.

*it's based on a retributive rather than a restorative model of justice. in other words it's petty and childish.

*every sensible, civilized, reasonably progressive nation on earth has abolished it except for the U.S. and japan. it makes us look like brutal backassward hicks.

*killing is wrong. period.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrus View Post
    you can't take it back in case there was a mistake in the process.

Despite how accurate legal procedures can be, it has happened several times to kill innocent people this way.
    in the "human error" argument, i'm not so worried about total miscarriages of justice where a completely innocent person gets executed. obviously that would be horrible, and it has happened, but a much bigger problem is that any human system of justice is by nature subjective and equivocal. no one can say with total conviction that they're 100% justified in any course of action, and when that action is to irrevocably take another person's life, i'd say that amounts to an unforgivable and criminal arrogance. only god is justified in taking life, or the laws of nature for all you atheists out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post

Any thoughts?
    Throw in the very real possibilities of corrupt DAs, police, and plain old governmental incompetence making the whole process so much more terrifying, and you echo my sentiments 100%. 20 years ago, forensic examination through DNA analysis wasn't even on the radar. Now, it turns out that a lot of people who were locked up for a long time were cleared by a blood test that is almost routine in modern criminal cases. Who knows what we'll learn in another 20 years' time. Honestly, I haven't even heard a single argument for the death penalty that stands up to scrutiny. I don't even understand the logical disconnect - most people don't trust the government to properly enforce parking violations, and yet we trust them with the legal power to end a human being's life?

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by avery View Post
    i'm against the death penalty for the following reasons:

*it's been statistically proven that it doesn't deter crime.

*it's more expensive than life imprisonment.

*it's based on a retributive rather than a restorative model of justice. in other words it's petty and childish.

*every sensible, civilized, reasonably progressive nation on earth has abolished it except for the U.S. and japan. it makes us look like brutal backassward hicks.

*killing is wrong. period.
    Damn skippy.

I also agree with all of the folowing statmets. I would coment further but every one stole my ideas.

I also am utterly opposed to it and have genuine trouble with reconciling the existence of capital punishment with a properly civilised society. To me, the death penalty seems like a total anachronism; something that belongs in a bygone age and runs counter to decency and a humane and just society.

To quote the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, "Everyone has the right to life". For the state to chose to put people to death entirely unnecessarily because it considers that it is right seems patently and obviously wrong to me. You don't get to make that choice. No one does.

The notion that it works as a deterrent to crime seems false and fundamentally misunderstand how and why serious crime happens. Potential murderers or rapists act largely on passion, impulse and opportunity rather than a rational risk assessment that tallies the possible merits and demerits of their actions. A quick look at the US States by homicide rate, for example, shows that the states with the biggest crime problems do use capital punishment and it has clearly failed as a deterrent there, so there is no evidence that it acts to prevent crime.

Further, I simply don't believe that killing someone who has themselves killed furthers justice. So doing is vengeance or retribution - and I can sympathise with the families and friends of victims desiring those things - but it is not justice. It does not change what has happened, it does not protect anyone from dangerous individuals any more than life imprisonment does and it precludes the possibility of redemption or restitution as much as such things may be possible. Any system of capital punishment that includes the necessary levels of scrutiny and possibility of appeal is also more expensive than life imprisonment, so one has to be left wondering how it is in any way worthwhile. Essentially, it has no possible positive outcomes - this is the killing of a human for no discernible benefit.

And then, we get to what seems to me to be the incontrovertible point. If you have capital punishment it is a certainty that innocent people will be put to death by the state. Nothing justifies that. Not one erroneous execution of an innocent man can ever be acceptable. Even if you do buy into a model of retributive justice at an emotional level, to advocate for a death penalty is to advocate that innocent people be put to death. None of the arguments for it can be worth more than an innocent human life.

Fortunately, the obvious trend of progress is that more and more countries are shedding capital punishment. I do find it rather horrifying and staggering that just a couple of developed, democratic countries - the USA and Japan - still cling to it and that it is in common use (and abuse) in many other areas of the world. But there can be some solace in that it is a practice that is slowly going out of fashion and being realised for what it is - immoral, ineffective and inhumane. I believe Rwanda was the latest country to ditch capital punishment, and I eagerly await the next.

doesnt britaincarry it out for the crime of high treason? or am i missing something?

also, i smewhat doesnt surprise me that japan keeps the death penaltty, though at least the method isnt to give them a white robe and a tanto dagger (get them to commit seppuku)