Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvesting the Organs of Death Row Inmates?

Default Harvesting the Organs of Death Row Inmates?

After spending a good chunk of time on StumbleUpon, I found this video.

The basic idea of it, is that many death row inmates want to donate their organs, but are unable to because of the exectution methods used. The video was explaining how it would be possible to simply remove organs from the inmate while their under the effects of anesthetic, using those organs to save lives while also killing the inmate.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe that this is an acceptable way of execution?

Butterfly Mage

I think it's a bad idea because the organ donation business is already corrupt (celebrities, millionaires, and politicians get served well before anyone else). As outlined in a sci-fi story by Larry Niven, if organ donation by death row inmates became optional, it would be require very little legislation to make it mandatory. Following that, the list of death penalty crimes would radically expand. In the Larry Niven book, the main character was on trial for a capitol case -- that being exceeding the speed limit and driving on a revoked license. Yeah.

My advise is to never, ever voluntarily give ruling authorities additional power under any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I think it's a bad idea because the organ donation business is already corrupt (celebrities, millionaires, and politicians get served well before anyone else). As outlined in a sci-fi story by Larry Niven, if organ donation by death row inmates became optional, it would be require very little legislation to make it mandatory. Following that, the list of death penalty crimes would radically expand. In the Larry Niven book, the main character was on trial for a capitol case -- that being exceeding the speed limit and driving on a revoked license. Yeah.

My advise is to never, ever voluntarily give ruling authorities additional power under any circumstance.
    I assume you know that a liver or a kidney from one body just can't be swapped out into another body randomly. I think there's even more criteria for receiving a organ donation then I know about myself.

As for whats outlined in a fictional story doesn't mean it can or will come true. Somehow there will be people opposed to this whole idea of inmates giving away their livers and other organs. There will be another oversite comity just like there pretty much is with everything else we have in America.

Yes inmates should be given this option. No the system is not corrupt, its just inundated with red tape. First you got to find a compatible donor, then you got to harvest it, then transport it, yadda yadda yadda. In between each step is a mountain of paperwork (red tape) that must be cleared. That's how the system is. A celebrity may have to wait years for a kidney whereas a no-name kid from the BFE/BFN* may not have to wait more than a week.

*BFE/BFN loosely translates into bum-****-nowhere.

As long the government has the power to legally end someone's life (I don't think they should, but that's outside the scope of this thread and will not talk about it anymore in here), and as long as it's completely, 100% voluntary, I think that death row inmates should have every right to donate their bodies to whatever cause they want. I doubt you'd be able to get the medical associations to sign off on a surgeon harvesting vital organs from someone who is still alive against their will even under general anesthesia - that's an ethical quagmire. Medical ethics would likely dictate that the inmate be killed in a way that leaves the organs intact without a doctor having to be the one actually killing their patient.

I agree that inmates should have this option, it's good. And I don't think the organ etc. is corrupt, yes there is a black market which is only available if you have money but the white market is quite good apart from some rotten apples every now and then. But I don't think those happen often.

Falkio

I think the option should be made available. Not only could it save lives, but give a sense of peace to the inmate before being executed. A "sacrifice to others for the sake of my soul", if you will. I don't see government interfering with this, honestly. We have an opt-in system for drivers to donate their organs, but government never made it mandatory. Granted, inmates are more disposable because they are on death row, but as an ethical decision, lawmakers (I think) would have a hard time passing a forced-harvest initiative. Way too much of a gray area.

I know there's probably more but to be able to be a donor you kneed to have the same blood type as the person receiving, it has to be the right size and loads more stuff. I agree with mage though, i don't think that it would take much for it to go from optional to mandatory and spiral from there.

Just my 2 cents!