Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Question

Default College Question

So, I have been accepted to a few major universities. I am now trying to decide how I am to go about going to them. I want to look at both the economic and educational sides of it. I would like to attend Central Mich. for 4 years, but it will cost me tons of $$$ in loans. What I was thinking of doing is going to Community College for 2 years, getting my required courses done there, then transferring to get my 4 year. It will be cheaper this way, but the downside is of course the social aspect of it, I will pretty much loose all my friends, as they are going away to a 4 yr school immediately, but would I loose out on any vital edu by doing this?

So, my question really is this.... what have you, that went to college, do? What plan sounds better, meeting both the econ and edu aspects of it, going to a 4 yr right away, or going to CC first, then transferring?

I went to a community college and then transferred to a university. My original intention was to only get an associates, but that changed obviously. I do not believe that you would lose any educational value and while you may be separated from your friends, you can still be just as social in a two year college. Were you and your friends all going to the same 4 year school, cause if not, what's your loss? As far as money goes, yes, you could save a lot by doing a 2 year school then transferring. Finally, for my two cents, BOO TO CMU!

I got accepted to my state's school and am waiting from VT and Miami myself. I want to get accepted to Miami so bad but understand the circumstances of applying to a private school. I know a LOT of people who are doing the 2 yr CC and transferring to a bigger college. All I would say is that saving money is a good thing, and also consider the fact that you would meet new people in the CC that may be nicer than the handful of friends you would be losing. There are tradeoffs to everything, but there is still social networking/calling old friends when they are far away, and meeting new friends along the way. All I can really say is money is always a consideration for choosing colleges, but in reality, everybody will lose friends and a proper education is always more important than that. What are you majoring in?

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    I got accepted to my state's school and am waiting from VT and Miami myself. I want to get accepted to Miami so bad but understand the circumstances of applying to a private school. I know a LOT of people who are doing the 2 yr CC and transferring to a bigger college. All I would say is that saving money is a good thing, and also consider the fact that you would meet new people in the CC that may be nicer than the handful of friends you would be losing. There are tradeoffs to everything, but there is still social networking/calling old friends when they are far away, and meeting new friends along the way. All I can really say is money is always a consideration for choosing colleges, but in reality, everybody will lose friends and a proper education is always more important than that. What are you majoring in?
    I am going to major in business, either Administration or International. All of my schools that I have been accepted to are good for it. I am just stumped on what path to take. Do CC's take AP Cedits?

They might. It always depends on the CC you are considering in. I have 2 and am taking 3 currently. Yet only one of them hopefully (AP BC Calc) will get me some credits in my planned major in Architecture.

They might. It always depends on the CC you are considering in. I have 2 and am taking 3 currently. Yet only one of them hopefully (AP BC Calc) will get me some credits in my planned major in Architecture.
    Good for you! I have a total of 4 under me. AP World, Euro, American, and Micro and Macro Econ.

I always claim my WHAP one as my finest one so far. Since I somehow have extended time with me in the exams, I had to take the exam in a room at a Baptist Church with just me and my counselor. Make that awkward even though I did get a 4. And you?

I always claim my WHAP one as my finest one so far. Since I somehow have extended time with me in the exams, I had to take the exam in a room at a Baptist Church with just me and my counselor. Make that awkward even though I did get a 4. And you?
    A 4 on my World and Euro

I have a different take on this. Go do your entire schooling at the same college, you get to learn how that college works and make freshmen mistakes as a freshmen. Also if you go to a college that uses an APA format for thesis writing and you transfer to one that uses MLA or Chicago manual of style you may find it very annoying to have to learn an entire new format, add to that, you will be a junior at your new college and professors frown heavily on students who are juniors and don't know how to do a paper in the format they want it in. (Take in from personal experience) Juniors are expected to know the school habits inside and out and it is very hard to catch up as a transfer student.

I went from a state school to a small private college that had a better program. Its hard as hell when folks see the blue sticker and expect you to know things about the campus or professors who assume you know what the heck they are talking about when it pertains to some special class that every sophomore had to have.... Very frustrating at times.

I think the biggest downer about going to a CC would be having to stay close to home (possibly living at your parents place) for 2 years before finally breaking away. Of course, living at your parents place is an excellent way to save money. You'll still meet people at the CC, and there will still be parties... but you won't have the 'freedom' of being far away from parents. That said, a lot of freshmen get carried away with the freedom the first year and end up on academic probation.

Basically, CC is a sweet deal, moneywise. I don't think you're really going to lose that much academically. Do make absolutely sure that the 4-year school that you're planning on transferring to will accept all the credits from your CC. Seriously. My dad went to a CC for 2 years, thinking that the classes would transfer no problem... nope. He had to retake them.