Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding bedwetting?

Rawrishness

Exclamation Hiding bedwetting?

Does anyone here have tips on hiding bedwetting from your family? I've never wet the bed before, and lately I've been having horrible nightmares and waking up in a puddle I'm currently living with my grandparents, and they do the laundry so there's no way to hide wet sheets from them. There's no way for me to get diapers either, as I can't drive and they check all of my mail. I've been sleeping on the floor for the past two weeks just so i don't get their guest bed wet. As a tb you'd think I wouldn't have a problem with this help would be appreciated. Thanks

My first thought is this. Get some sort of plastic sheeting... this can be anything from a spare shower curtain to a painter's dropcloth. But the point is to find something waterproof. Make the bed with it by basically laying it over the fitted sheet. If you have no other options, you could also get a couple trash bags, cut them open, and wrap the bed with those. Then, get an old towel or two and basically lay them down over the "problem" area, basically anywhere you think moisture might get to. Take a blanket or two, and put them over the rest of the plastic sheeting so you're not lying on it (it can get really uncomfortable and sweaty to lie on plastic or vinyl). Or you can just wear long pajamas and socks. Then, if you wet the bed, you can wash out the towel yourself in the bathtub or shower, wring it out, and either hang it to dry in your bedroom or toss it in the laundry.

If you're really concerned about moisture, you could probably also get another old towel and create a makeshift diaper with it for extra protection. I've done this before: you can tuck a smaller towel into a pair of briefs, or wrap it around yourself and safety-pin the sides. Obviously, this won't be waterproof, so be sure to put something as a barrier over the bed.

Finally, if you also have the problem of waking up while the wetting is taking place, it can be good to have some sort of container (a bucket, a bowl, a gallon jug, etc) under or beside the bed, so that you can basically keep from making more of a mess than you have to. If this is happening a lot, and you're worried about the number of towels you'll go through, this might work as a way to sometimes minimize the clean-up effort required.

Lastly, if your grandparents are ever out, then you're home-free. Put your (rinsed-out) towels somewhere discreet, and when they're gone, run the laundry and put them away. If you get caught doing the laundry, make up something about taking a shower and accidentally getting water everywhere, so you were just trying to help.

P.S: At some point, it might just be easier to think about trying to talk to one of your grandparents. Maybe figure out which one you think would be more sympathetic, and at some point, mention that you sometimes have bad dreams. If you can get a conversation going, you could say something like, "This is really embarrassing for me to admit, and I hate to bother you about it, but I have a medical problem. I occasionally have issues with incontinence at night, and I've been afraid that it might happen sometime. Would it be possible for me to pick up a vinyl mattress protector the next time we're out? And since this is so embarrassing, would you mind if I laundered my own sheets if necessary?" I know this might be out of the question for you, but if you have a good relationship with your grandparents, it might be worth giving it a try. Older folks often have problems with incontinence themselves, so you might find that they're more sympathetic than you'd expect.

Rawrishness

Thanks so much, I think i'm going to try the garbage bags, since I have a ton left from when I moved in here(I was having issues with my parents at home). I never even thought about washing anything in the tub before *facepalm* I should have done that sooner, as comfy as the carpet looked at first...it really isn't after more than a couple nights. I was thinking about talking to my grandmother about it, but I decided that wouldn't be the best idea(she's one of those super religious people who think anything out of the ordinary is "against God") I'm hoping it's just from stress, and not medical related, since I have horrible anxiety attacks(hyperventilating, shaking, sweating, blacking/passing out) and insomnia(which i've taken nearly every medicine on the planet for, nothing works)

Sorry for your problems. If you haven't been incontinent before, I would be concerned as to why this is happening now. For that reason, you may want to share this with your grandmother and see a doctor. If you are on a new medication, it may be causing the problem. It's not normal to just become incontinent at age 16, so you may want to get a doctor involved in all of this.

Rawrishness

I've actually just gotten off of all my medications, I haven't taken any in a while. If I could go to a doctor I would, but my parents still have legal custody of me and won't allow me to see one. It's not too bad though so I'm not extremely worried about it, it only happens when I have a really REALLY bad dream (as in, wake up screaming and shaking and freaking out bad) And on another note, I'm completely terrified of needles, and that's all they seem to want to do to me the times I actually have been to a clinic for my insomnia.

Garbage bags (and that miracle product, duct tape!) are probably your best and cheapest option. In fact, a big towel, pins, and a garbage bag can make a very serviceable, and reasonably leak resistant diaper. Pin up the towel in normal diaper fashion, then sit in the middle of a garbage bag, pull up the corners on either side, ducttape them together, then tuck the edges in around your legs and crotch. (cutting leg holes in the bag never worked well for me...).

As for the cause of the bedwetting, I'd bet money that the drama with your parents is at the root of it.

Rawrishness

Thank you so much for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    As for the cause of the bedwetting, I'd bet money that the drama with your parents is at the root of it.
    You're probably right about that. There's so much drama going on with them right now that it's not even funny anymore. But oh well, crazy parents, what can ya do? haha. I'm only stuck with them and my grandparents for another year and a half, then it's off to college hopefully the bedwetting will go away before then.

Hiding bedwetting is more trouble then it's worth but certainly possible if it doesn't happen too often. How often does it happen?

What I do is get a second pair when it happened let it dry then when it's dry just put it back on there. Then as soon as it becomes time to wash bedsheets again put them in the wash. It's juggling around with bedsheets. If possible rinse them after you wet. And air out the mattress if possible (no sheets on there for a day).

You know your situation best but I'd advise just telling your grandparents.

Rawrishness

It happens once or twice every week or so...
    I'm afraid that if I told my grandparents they would tell my parents and make me go to the doctor to get a bunch of tests done, which terrifies me. And, they would probably end up telling EVERYONE about it, my grandmother loves to gossip, even about her own family. It'd also give my parents yet another reason to hate me.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrishness View Post
    It happens once or twice every week or so...
    I'm afraid that if I told my grandparents they would tell my parents and make me go to the doctor to get a bunch of tests done, which terrifies me. And, they would probably end up telling EVERYONE about it, my grandmother loves to gossip, even about her own family. It'd also give my parents yet another reason to hate me.
    Well... I hate to say it but if the bedwetting keeps up, or gets any worse, going to the doctor for those tests might be necessary. If there's something wrong with your body, you need to get it fixed.

You might be able to see the doctor yourself, but I'm not sure about how it would work wherever you are.

And if not: there isn't anyone old enough to take you that you trust?