Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Age difference in a relationship?

June

Default Age difference in a relationship?

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to put this.

What do you guys think an appropriate age difference is in a relationship?

Personally, I believe it depends on how old the two are. It seems somewhat less relevant as you get older. I.e., my mom is 41 (I think) and my step dad is 48. That's a 7 year age difference. If they had started dating when, say, my mom was 7 and my dad was 14, that could be looked at as akward. But my mom was about 33 when she married my dad, so it wasn't really noted.

At my age, I'd say no more than 2 years would be right. They are closer in age, therefore probably share similar experiences and traits, and have more to talk about.

What do you guys think?

Half your age plus seven works once you hit to 30 or so. Two or three years is about right for young people.

My husband is 10 1/2 years older than me. Age doesn't matter much in adulthood but lot of people are against 20 year relationships or 15 year relationships.

I think it's up to the individual what their own standards should be, unless they're just plainly being reckless wit their lives. For me, I wouldn't honestly have a problem with dating someone who's 22, but if they're younger than me then I wouldn't date anybody more than two years younger. (I'm 16)

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageToddler View Post
    I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to put this.

What do you guys think an appropriate age difference is in a relationship?

Personally, I believe it depends on how old the two are. It seems somewhat less relevant as you get older. I.e., my mom is 41 (I think) and my step dad is 48. That's a 7 year age difference. If they had started dating when, say, my mom was 7 and my dad was 14, that could be looked at as akward. But my mom was about 33 when she married my dad, so it wasn't really noted.

At my age, I'd say no more than 2 years would be right. They are closer in age, therefore probably share similar experiences and traits, and have more to talk about.

What do you guys think?
    Teenage Toddler, of course each individual and situation is different. Still, just after puberty, convention wisdom believes that young women tend to be about 2 years more socially sophisticated than young men. So, if there are no other considerations, a 13 year-old young lady might be the social equal of a 15 yo fellow.

Do any of us have experience in which a romance between a 13 yo fellow and a 15 yo young woman would be considered appropriate?

When I was 15 I had very little to discuss with the guys in my class, most of whom were a year older. Between my studies and after school job I had little time for dates. When I did go out, frankly I was attracted to university men. Probably society in general would not have considered my choice appropriate for fear the men were taking advantage of me.

After I was working as an attorney, at 26, my hours were so long that I only dated one Saturday evening a month. One other Saturday evening I attended an ABDL party. It was in May of 1991 that the slightly older man I expected to date got sick that Friday morning. That was why I accepted an invitation to a party given by a group I belonged to. That was where I met Don Davis, who soon became the love of my life. We married in October 1991. That July I turned 27. That June Don turned 59. He was a widower who had been married to his first wife for almost 30 years. In fact Don has a son nearly 2 years older than me and a daughter 3 months older than me.

Despite the age difference with Don, in many respects we are alike in terms of temperament, outlook and education. Yes, there are some things shocking to our friends. I graduated from the law school of a university that is the rival of the school which granted Don a PhD. At first a few of the women married to Don's business associates who had been close with Don's late wife Jean were suspicious of my motives. I believe most have accepted me.

Chances are none of those business associates of Don have no clue I am incontinent, never mind that I use AB to cope. Perhaps, considering their average age, they need diapers themselves. Maybe they were suspicious because I am an attorney. Possibly they warmed to be because although young I hardly look like the typical Hollywood trophy wife.

My youngest sister Missy's husband John is only 4 years older. When they met at college John already had served an enlistment in the US Marine Corps. My father is about the same amount older than Mom. Dad was just out of the US Army following Korea when he met Mom, who was the daughter of family friends.

I had a short thing with a girl seven years my senior a little while ago. That was okay. And my cousin, who's two years older than me, dated a 40-year-old. That was a little creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Do any of us have experience in which a romance between a 13 yo fellow and a 15 yo young woman would be considered appropriate?
    I had a friend who, in grade 8, dated a 16-17 year old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyMan View Post
    Half your age plus seven works once you hit to 30 or so. Two or three years is about right for young people.
    lol, yup: http://xkcd.com/314/

I've never been in a relationship with someone my age. I married a woman 3 1/2 years younger and nearly got engaged to a lady a little over 4 years younger. As a general rule I will not consider going out with anyone outside a five year span of my age.

For the first time in my life I am interested in someone three years older than I, but we are still talking and haven't gone out yet.

Yeah, the x/2+7 rule works pretty well from your mid-teens, I think, but exceptions can always be made for special people My 21-year-old brother seems quite happy dating a 16-year-old girl, too :p

Personally I had a bad experience dating a 16-year-old (when I was 19), so have been put off younger girls in general, regardless of how inappropriate the age difference would be now...

Half your age plus 7 works for me

I'm 19, and my ex-boyfriend was 25. That works out exactly to that ration, and although the age difference was sometimes noticeable, it was never an issue, and always manageable!

I wouldn't really go much outside of that though!