Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right decision, wrong politics

Default Right decision, wrong politics

Well, I haven't bemoaned my unemployment here. I saved all of that for my motorcycle forums. :red_bandana:
    Yes, ADISC I'm seeing other forums.
    I'm sorry but you just do not meet all of my needs and I have to step out on you. :twisted:

OK, to the serious post. I've been more comfortable talking to the guys on my motorcycle forums until now. I feel that I have connected with a few of you and need to express myself before I get an ulcer.

I generally do not wear diapers during the day unless I'm ready for bed in the evening, or just haven't gotten dressed in the morning. Today I came home from taking my son to school and put a diaper on as stress relief in hopes of quelling the violent churn within my stomach.

I was unemployed for nearly six months. I worked sporadically, but don't consider temp work a few days a week as I rack up debt to be gainfully employed.

I was happy as I could be to get this job. I direct traffic at an airport. This means that one of my core functions is to keep people from stopping in front of the airport for any reason other than loading passengers and bags.

I do my job, and do it thoroughly. So when this guy lets his family out and sits in his car I tell him to move several times. He doesn't listen. I start to write him a ticket. As I am finishing the ticket he identifies himself as a police officer. I tell him that he is not allowed to park unless he is on official business and hand him the ticket. He demands my name and still will not move. I have to call airport operations and report that a vehicle will not move. He threatens my job and leaves.

After this, I call my supervisor and explain what happened. She tells me that all is well and that I did my job as instructed.

Today I get a call from my boss informing me that the police officer called my corporate headquarters to complain. Better yet, since I've had this job for less than a month and am still within my ninety day probationary period, I could loose my job due to political pressure from corporate.

Am I in a severe minority in thinking that when you follow the rules and have your manager support you the company should let their people do their jobs without attempting to manage situations they know nothing about?

Okay First off, He was an off duty cop in a non sanctioned vehicle, He is a normal person Like the rest of us.. He doesn't get special treatment because he is a cop.. He should understand being a Man of the law there are rules for airports just like there are rules to govern the rest of the city. He should understand that you were doing your job. My suggestion is to get some advice from your local Labour board (people who fight for your rights) for just in case situation. Other than that I am not sure what could happen. I am hoping that your boss realises that you did your job. Good luck to ya hun.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowWally View Post
    Okay First off, He was an off duty cop in a non sanctioned vehicle, He is a normal person Like the rest of us.. He doesn't get special treatment because he is a cop.
    Not true. My mother has a good friend whom is a cop here in maryland. They went down to Virgina together, when they get pulled over not sure what for all that happens is the guy shows his badge (not sure why he had it with him when he left the state) and the cop that pulled them over leaves.

All I can say is don't mess with police officers on or off duty even if it is your job. Should cops get special treatment, probably not but they do.

All cops think they are above the law, they think the laws only apply to other people and not them.

If you get canned call the ACLU and have them get you your job back.

There were a few cops here not to long ago that arrested a guy because he was threatening to expose the cops for wrong doing, turns out there was a bank camera watching the whole event, this guy is now going to do a number on the town and the cops.

You are right for what you did, you were in charge not some bozo with a badge looking for the equivelent of free donuts at a coffee shop because he is a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbit View Post
    Not true. My mother has a good friend whom is a cop here in maryland. They went down to Virgina together, when they get pulled over not sure what for all that happens is the guy shows his badge (not sure why he had it with him when he left the state) and the cop that pulled them over leaves.

All I can say is don't mess with police officers on or off duty even if it is your job. Should cops get special treatment, probably not but they do.
    True. Although they officially do not have any more rights when they are off-duty, cops are humans. And humans, as we all know, have flaws. Like wanting to help their friends or in this case, fellow cops, and bearing grudges.

What you have seen at that airport is a perfect example of this. The cop is used to "being above the law" which he kinda is when he is doing his job. This makes him think he can park in that place, if he wants to, and when you tell him to do something he does not want you to do, he starts intimidating you by asking questions about your identity and treathening (really, this is a common method used by police officers when they stop someone, and they expect that person of doing something illegal, to get them to confess)

The best thing you can do, is what R. Whally suggested.

To baconbit, RainbowWally is correct. Police do not have any authority out of their area and are a citizen off duty.

Most police officers will not ticket each other as a professional courtesy, however they have every right to and do so on occasion.
    Let some local cop blow past a State Trooper in his private vehicle and he may just find out how much that badge is worth when he is off duty.

I've calmed down a bit now. Fortunately, my superiors and airport operations backed me against the officers complaints. I'm still a little shaken from worrying about loosing a job in this economy, but my boss reiterated that I was doing my job and that everyone was pleased with my performance.

I'm not counting on it just yet, but I was told that I may be promoted to management soon.

I am glad to hear your not losing your job, and that your bosses are behind you. Good luck on the management position should you get it.

Job well done Khayman you stood your ground and did not back down. Your supervisors have backed you and it sounds like you will be okay at your job. I work in security at a automotive plant and can understand what you have to deal with. Just keep up doing your job like a professional and you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbit View Post

Double standards for the win?

The only perks cops and the like (FBI field agents, etc) should get should come within the form of their salaries and free mandatory life/health insurance god forbid anything happens to them.

khaymen, good luck with your possible promotion
    as to that fella, well, I'd be quite happy if it backlashed back onto him. not to the point of loosing his job(that would kinda be too much), but at least a good ol' spanking ^^

Its good to know theres still some justice in these situations, and that your bosses stood by your side.

good luck!