View Poll Results: What's happening with the recession?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Quick Recovery: 5% unemployment by 2012

1 2.78%
  • Slow Recovery: 6%-8% unemployment by 2012

19 52.78%
  • Stagnation: 9%-11% unemployment by 2012

10 27.78%
  • Slowly Declining: 12%-19% unemployment by 2012

4 11.11%
  • Free-fall Decline: 20%-30% unemployment by 2012

2 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recession Poll

Butterfly Mage

Default Recession Poll

Well, TK asked six months ago whether the recession was really over. Obviously it's not over -- not by a long shot. So I figured I'd ask it again as a poll question. You'll have five choices:

Quickly Recovering: The economy is recovering very rapidly and we should see 5% unemployment (or less) by the end of Obama's first term.
    Slowly Recovering: The economy is recovering, but the recovery will be slow. We should see 6%-8% unemployment by the end of Obama's first term.
    Stagnation: The economy has stopped getting worse, but it's not getting better either. We will still have 9%-11% unemployment by the end of Obama's first term.
    Slowly Declining: The economy is still deteriorating. Expect a 12%-19% unemployment rate by the end of Obama's first term.
    Free-fall Decline: The economy is in free-fall. We are basically witnessing the end of the American way of life. Expect 20%-30% unemployment by the end of Obama's first term.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

I chose the last option. I think that 20% unemployment is going to be the new "norm" for this country. The days of us being a First World nation are basically over.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I think that 20% unemployment is going to be the new "norm" for this country. The days of us being a First World nation are basically over.
    Ye of little faith! We as a country have toughed it through worse stuff than this, I have every faith in the American people to weather this storm. More of a gale, compared to other challenges... I should probably mention that i'm an optimist, so this may be an extremely optimistic outlook, but I like it that way.

EmeraldsAndLime

Quickly recovering is 5% by 2012? To see figures like that is disturbing.

I'm just glad Australia didn't even go into a recession. But it's funny this thread should pop up now. I was watching the news and just today it was revealed our national unemployment figure was 5.3% last month. To top it off, we just signed a massive coal deal with China worth AUD$69 billion... that's about USD$60bn, or 38bn.

Butterfly Mage

Lukie: To tell you how bad things are right now in the United States, our president was just bragging last week about how the official unemployment rate is DOWN to 9.8%.

But, there's a different unemployment stat that paints a much grimmer picture. It's called the "U6 Value". This stat calculates everyone who is receiving unemployment, everyone who lost their jobs but didn't qualify for unemployment, and everyone whose unemployment benefits have run out (but the person hasn't landed a new job). The U6 figure is 17%.

I'd say Slow Recovery.

I want to boot this one guy in the head that I see on TV. He says that we are headed into the next great depression that will last 10 years. Buy my book and you will be saved.

LilLillyKitten

It took at least a decade to get to where we are now, so it's gonna take at least a decade to get back out...

Lukie, 5% by two years from now would, indeed, be a quick recovery; I really doubt that it's feasible, though.

Pour resources into the developement of our infrastructure and I bet the unemployment rate could be cut by like 1% just like that. (That's ~3,030,000 jobs for people who don't know how it breaks down for the US.)

I say "slow recovery," because I'm optimistic, and perhaps a bit naive .
    No, I think the nation could hit a bit of a rebound soon, though nothing too drastic. Unfortunately, don't know when my area would be getting much better in these regards. We've been down for a while here with the automotive industry and similar disappointments.

The Fed and White House have both released projections that follow the slow recovery mold. There has been no major dissent about these numbers. This question is a no-brainer.

In a sane political environment, it would be an argument for a second (third or fourth? - do the early '08 stimulus or TARP count?) Keynesian stimulus...but we live in the world of the 41 Republican senate majority.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    In a sane political environment, it would be an argument for a second (third or fourth? - do the early '08 stimulus or TARP count?) Keynesian stimulus...but we live in the world of the 41 Republican senate majority.
    I lost ALL respect for the Democrats this year. I'm pretty liberal too (Wiccan homosexuals are not known for being staunch conservatives). But you bring up the obvious point that the Democrats have a majority in both the House and Senate, and they have a Democrat president -- but they still managed to get absolutely nothing accomplished in a whole year.

The GOP doesn't deserve to win in 2010, but the Democrats sure do deserve to lose.

My Recession thread from a while ago

Man, do times change over 6 months. For this poll, I voted Slow Recovery because it does look like it is slowly creeking into the right direction but no hints are proving otherwise. There is still a long time before things can actually come back and our economy can actually reach the expansion period.