Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respecting elders.

Default Respecting elders.

So my whole life I have been taught to Respect my parents. I would never swear around them, or say "dirty" jokes (That's what she said, Your mom, etc.) Now my step dad's son constantly tells him to Fuck off and other such profanity. He lives with us, rent free, and yet he says this to his father. His father even swears back!
    Because of the way I was raised I feel like this is vary wrong. I want to know what all of you think about this. If your a parent, how would you respond to it?

EDIT: He is 21

I'm sorry you have to live in a household where that is going on. As a high school student, I only said "fuck you" to my mom once. I got slapped very hard in the face and I damn well deserved it. The step son needs to get a job and move out. Then he can say "fuck you" to the four walls of his new apartment as much as he wants. He can even say it in the mirror if it will make him feel any better.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I'm sorry you have to live in a household where that is going on. As a high school student, I only said "fuck you" to my mom once. I got slapped very hard in the face and I damn well deserved it. The step son needs to get a job and move out. Then he can say "fuck you" to the four walls of his new apartment as much as he wants. He can even say it in the mirror if it will make him feel any better.
    It doesn't bother me much...He just eats all our food

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    It doesn't bother me much...He just eats all our food
    Give him a chocolate bar with lacsadives.

I know how you feel in a way, my nephew talks like that in front of his mom, I get embarrased listing to him say f this and f that all the time, I never said anything like that to my mom or dad.

I don't mind useing what I call garage language, when I am in a place that it is acceptable,

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    So my whole life I have been taught to Respect my parents. I would never swear around them, or say "dirty" jokes (That's what she said, Your mom, etc.) Now my step dad's son constantly tells him to Fuck off and other such profanity. He lives with us, rent free, and yet he says this to his father. His father even swears back!
    Because of the way I was raised I feel like this is vary wrong. I want to know what all of you think about this. If your a parent, how would you respond to it?

EDIT: He is 21

Yeah, i get really mad at my parents sometimes, but seriously, they provide for you, you can't disrespect em'.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I know how you feel in a way, my nephew talks like that in front of his mom, I get embarrased listing to him say f this and f that all the time, I never said anything like that to my mom or dad.

I don't mind useing what I call garage language, when I am in a place that it is acceptable,
    exactly. swearing doesnt really bother me, and i think its ridiculous that so many people consider it "bad" but there is always an appropriate time and place for something.

Thats the kind of thing I try to prevent myself from doing so I can keep a good relationship with my parents. But sometimes my dad is truly unfair and makes it hard for me to respect him. He dosen't even like it when I ask him a question. But I still sort of respect him. He is nice to me but he is short fused. As for the thread I think we all should respect our elders. Just as long as they respect us.

Hm. I disagree with respecting your elders. I think you should treat everyone with a healthy level of respect, despite their age. I treat those who are 60, 6 and 16 the same. And if it's not reciprocated, then I don't give it back. Again, even if they're older than I but they can't respect me I'm not going to respect them.

Along with that, I do have quite a bit of respect for my mom. We joke with each other, and we'll call one another a bitch, or tell each other to shut the fuck up, but it's all in good fun. If I ever, ever said that to my mom and meant it, I don't even wanna think about what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by s4u View Post
    If I ever, ever said that to my mom and meant it, I don't even wanna think about what would happen.
    That's what I mean, how can my step dad take that from his son. If I were him, I would have told him he had a month to find a new place to live.

I never used that kind of language around my parents, even when there were circumstances where I felt those words would have been justified. I wanted my parents love so much, I tried very hard not to say anything that might push them farther away from me. I wanted them to be proud of me. Besides, I imagine that I would have been thrown through the nearest wall if I had used those words within hearing distance.