Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experiance with ... *SIGH* scooters/mopeds

Default Any experiance with ... *SIGH* scooters/mopeds

Hello,
    I have been asked to research reliable transportation for someone who cannot legally drive a car for a while.

Does anyone here have experience with mopeds or scooters?

He just needs to find a reliable used vehicle to get him by until he can legally throw his leg over a motorcycle.

LilLillyKitten

Vespa is a good make... if they can exceed 40 mph, (Depending on your state laws, I believe...) you are technically required to have a driver's license.

You can't use sidewalks; you have to either be in the bike lane or in traffic.

Butterfly Mage

In Maryland, the engine limit for mopeds is 50cc. You can also get a battery-powered moped nowadays also. My brother had a battery moped for a while (wrecked it). While it was still functional, the bike was a real blast. I had a gas-powered moped in high school. It was pretty good until it got stolen.

I had a motor cycle untill it almost killed me, if you like your life the way it is now don't even think about it.

Find one that's simple, and easy to maintain. Something like a Tomos, Jawa, Puch, Honda, etc... something that's easy to find parts, and repair information for, or modify if you'd like.

Stay away from the Chinese made scooters. I've heard they're a real disaster to keep up because of poor build quality, and materials. Parts are hard to find as well.

I had to work on an early '80's Tomos Silver Streak that blew the right crank seal out of it's seat on account of a misfire from a shorted condenser. I'd never worked on one before, so I had to take some time to figure out how the ignition system was laid out. It struck me as strange that the magneto ground was wired through the tail light bulb fillament. If the bulb blew, the ignition wouldn't fire. I hard-wired it to ground, and sacrificed the tail light circuit because my bud said that it had blown the bulb twice before. One of those times he couldn't find a 6 volt bulb within walking distance, and had to get a ride to a motorcycle shop to get spares.

Why do moped manufacturers do things like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    I had a motor cycle untill it almost killed me, if you like your life the way it is now don't even think about it.
    Yes if you like a bland and meaningless existence safe from any harm whatsoever, then by all means stay away from motorcycles, the sun, and other people who may give you germs and kill you with sickness.

OH! And for the record the bike did not almost kill you it was either your carelessness or someone else being careless that put you in harms way. If the bike failed mechanically then that is a different story, because in that case it would fall under user stupidity for getting on a machine without checking it.

T-CLOCK anyone?

You can't have a scooter until you have a license. If it exceeds 50cc then you need a moto license. I'm almost positive its the same for every state and the only thing that differs is registration and insurance policies.

Put it off anyway and just wait until you're old enough to get a license. Scooters are nothing but trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Silikon View Post
    Put it off anyway and just wait until you're old enough to get a license. Scooters are nothing but trouble.
    This is for a guy in my Motorcycle club that is not able to have a licensed vehicle for the time being. We are chipping in to get him a scooter to drive to work and giving him a place to stay for the time being.

It is a long and private story that I am not at liberty to discuss in detail.

I know this thread is a bit old, but i thought i should add my thoughts here.

I owned a Chinese off brand scooter (yiying) for a year, and loved it to death...

It worked fair enough, albeit a few problems (broken speedometer... etc), and got me downtown to work where the parking was rediciliously priced (I just locked it to a light post for free).

Unfortunately the parts are difficult to find, and none of the repair places will touch it around here (maryland) for a reasonable price.

Also, since i got my car, it has not been used it a while, and is sitting in a state of disrepair (this might just convince me to get my hands greasy and give it a look over )

You can't have a scooter until you have a license
    I had my scooter @ age 14 with no license, and had no problems. If its under 50cc's a licience is not necessary, and the police allow you to drive on the roads here. i would check your local station to get more information about what the policies are before your purchase though.

I had great fun on my scooter, and would suggest you go for it if you are comfortable.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by DHLA40S View Post
    Find one that's simple, and easy to maintain. Something like a Tomos, Jawa, Puch, Honda, etc... something that's easy to find parts, and repair information for, or modify if you'd like.

Stay away from the Chinese made scooters. I've heard they're a real disaster to keep up because of poor build quality, and materials. Parts are hard to find as well.
    I agree COMPLETELY here. Chinese made scooters are terrible because they are so hard to fix if something goes wrong.

I have a Honda Metropolitan 2006, and I absolutely love it. And if something ever goes wrong, I can take it to any place they sell Honda and they can help me out, since I'm completely retarded when it comes to mechanical things.

But, like everyone else said, you have to have a license for anything over 50cc, and anything under 50cc isn't really worth it. My scooter is 50cc and barely hits 40mph.