Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mentally Unstable Students Allowed “Equal Treatment”

Question Mentally Unstable Students Allowed “Equal Treatment”

I’m starting to question at what point people are going to shut up about “political correctness”. I’m starting to worry about my sister’s safety in her current school.

She has a student in her class that, and don’t quote me on this because I don’t know the whole story, was possibly abused and enters a frenzied rage if he ever suddenly remembers his father. He’s only in grade 5, but he’s already broken off a chunk of a desk and thrown desks all around a classroom. The problem is that the child is unpredictable and a hazard to the other student. I think that he should be removed from the general public and relocated somewhere that can handle this type of person.

I am AWARE that this isn’t his fault, but he must still be held accountable for his actions. There was an incident in which he ran at and attempted to stab a teacher. What if it had been a student? What if it had been a younger, smaller student? How much are the parents going to like sitting at their child’s funeral and all the school can say is “Well the boy who killed your child deserves the same education as everyone else”.

Let me go off on a small tangent:

The point of that whole spiel was, even if our society understands that the child is not at fault for what he is doing, should he still be allowed to enter the public (schools in particular, where there are plenty of un-supervised moments)?

EDIT: ok, I should probably add that the school is also French Immersion, which is legally required to be accessible in Canada as of the seventies (not 100% sure about the year)

There are schools in the area that cater to special needs students, but none that offer French Immersion so there is an awkward "He has the right to learn french"/"He's special needs" sort of thing going on.
    Last edited by Zephy; 06-Feb-2010 at 07:56. Reason: Needed to add something

I completely agree. He should not be anywhere near students who can get hurt. The teacher's cant restrain him unless their lives are in danger, so...yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by DLDisturbed View Post
    Let me go off on a small tangent:

The point of that whole spiel was, even if our society understands that the child is not at fault for what he is doing, should he still be allowed to enter the public (schools in particular, where there are plenty of un-supervised moments)?
    If a child presents a danger to other children, the intention or cause of damage does not matter. This is a case of serving one child at the expense of twenty-nine. If this child can get his outbursts under control, so be it. If not, then the other children should not be subjected to his antics.

I work with a guy like that on the grave shift. Oh man, I've tried so hard to be patient and understanding of him too. I can't hold a direct conversation with him at all though. When I think I'm making progress, I find out I'm only fooling myself. It honestly feels like I'm beating a dead horse.

This guy constantly talks to himself for one. Not just general little snippets of convo, full blown conversations. Sometimes these convos will have him fighting with himself. Ex. "Fuck you!" ..."No, Fuck you!" ..and I'm just shaking my head from a distance when this happens.

If you try to help or offer a hand with ANY of his work he will fly off the handle and go into a out burst. There's times where he has thrown shit at me when trying to help if we're behind in our work for the night.

I have tried discussing the matter with higher ups and they don't really care. The guy has been there longer than me and makes LESS than me as well. He doesn't seem to care though and I get the feeling the only reason they keep him around is because their getting away with screwing him over.

It's almost like he's stuck in a set path of how things have to be. No change ever. This is my life and this is how it will always be. A robot perhaps? It's like a really nasty version of having OCD only with a boring twist. Sorry to hijack your post just reminded me of my issue.

I had a kid like that in my 7th grade class, He'd lose it occasionally and swing on people for no (Logical) reason...He'd just get ISS few 3 or 4 days, until he slugged the Vice Principal one day in the lunchroom(He tried to break up a fight he started), then he got sent off Alternative School...

Unstable Kids aren't exactly good to have around, but there's not much that can be done if they haven't been diagnosed officially, as the school systems can't address something if they don't have proof.(Buerocratic Systems Ftl?)

They do have classes to keep students like this "occupied." In my day they were called BEH (behavior and emotionally handicapped) classes. I was caught up in a system that simply didn't want to deal with me on my level. They labeled me as such because I was spirited and opinionated. I was thrown in classes with junior psychopaths that tried to kill one another and witnessed a few suicide attempts in class.

I think I've dealt with my mistreatment by the school system quite well considering I was told that I would not be a good candidate for college because of being in those classes in an under developed curriculum. In High School English class we were once again going over what a noun and verb were. I fought for my right to be placed in regular classes midway through my freshman year. I eventually obtained my B.A. and started Graduate level education.

However, I am left to wonder who the system will fail to a greater degree, a person like me who may have been better off to have never seen those classes, or this poor guy who needs them and is left to his own devices without the aid those classes could give him emotionally if not academically.

you're right that the school is legally responsible for ensuring the safety of all the students, and will pay the penalty if someone gets hurt as a result of their oversight. for that reason, most schools have a special-ed classroom somewhere in the district for behaviorally disordered students.

unfortunately the question of who should and shouldn't be in that type of classroom is a highly subjective one. oftentimes kids wind up in those programs who really don't belong there, while kids who really are a danger to other students remain in general-ed classrooms. also, once a kid is in a program like that there's naturally a huge push from the limited special-ed budget to get them mainstreamed, with the result that they're often reintroduced to general-ed classes before they're ready -- often before there's been any observable change in their behavior at all. decisions like this often get made by people who have no hands-on experience with the kids, but who think they know much better than the people who have actually worked with the kids. it can be really frustrating how a well-meaning program is often crippled by bureaucratic idiocy.

ok, I should probably add that the school is also French Immersion, which is legally required to be accessible in Canada as of the seventies (not 100% sure about the year)

There are schools in the area that cater to special needs students, but none that offer French Immersion so there is an awkward "He has the right to learn french"/"He's special needs" sort of thing going on.

ewww... It's 4AM, I'll give real replies when I'm awaker... I just said "awaker".

There does seem to be a growng trend of schools fearing to take action against students that are anyway different (special needs, foreign, different religion etc.), just because they are afraid of being accused of discrimination.

Obviously this is wrong, because the rules are there for everyone. And if they deserve an equal education, hey deserve to be treated equally everywhere, including being punished like the rest of the student body if they do break those rules. Especially if their actions put other students in danger.

If he poses a high level of danger to other students he should be at a school where they are able to restrain him if necessary.

While he has a right to the same education as everyone else he has no right to disturb the learning of others.