Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yelling-Math

Default Yelling-Math

In light of reading the Yelling right or wrong thread, it prompted me to create this thread. I am terrible at math and over the years I have had bad experiences with it. The most memorable ones have been ones in which for example I had asked my dad for help, this was in 9th grade, so it was Algebra I. I should have known not to ask him, b/c it was like 7:30 at night and he had just gotten home from work. Well 7:30 turned into 11 PM and I was still not getting it and he had had enough and freaked on me, he yelled at me evrytime I got something wrong and just basically got frustrated and lost his cool, long story short I cried and got pissed, which pissed him off. I finished the work, but I was a bit traumatized by the event.

The next event was at school. I had stayed after for some help from my geometry teacher. I t had been about an hour into the tutoring session and he was getting frustrated with me b/c I wasn't getting it. He brought one of his teacher friends into the room, while I stood at the chalk board and did problem after problem wrong and those two ridiculed me and pointed out my faults on it, but did it in a profoundly humiliating way. So basically with that I had went home horrifically depressed and felt "inferior" basically.

After these instances I found myself never asking for help when i needed it, possibly for fear of being yelled at and ridiculed for not being able to do the work.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? How did it effect you?

After these instances I found myself never asking for help when i needed it, possibly for fear of being yelled at and ridiculed for not being able to do the work.
    I know a lot of people who don't ask for help for this reason. I'm sure your teacher was trying to help you, but unfortunately she got a bit pissed off. Sometimes people do this without noticing it, I'm sure it wasn't your teachers original intention to ridicule you like that, well, at the beginning. Don't feel bad about it. If I don't get something, I tend to research it on the internet, you can take as much time as you want to understand the topic, and there is no one to ridicule you. Even in class this has happened to people I know, and I always make sure to tell them that it's no big deal and if they want I try to explain it to them. Don't worry about it, and take it easy. *Big hug*

Do not feel bad... I have always sucked at math and I tried throughout grade school to avoid, especially when I reached grades 8-12. Algebra was always something I thought was useless and I have yet to utilize it six years after I graduated High School. My old man would often help me with my math homework and he would get frustrated that I wasn't understanding what he was trying to tell me. I still can't do long division on paper and same with long multiplication. Word problems are by far my most hated math problems.

I am 25 years old and so far I find the crap they teach you in High School you really don't need in the real world. Then again it depends what field you get into. Like with anything in life it takes practice to get good at something including math. I still hate math and don't practice it on paper unless it involves money LOL!

Everyone has their weak subject and throughout school I would get frustrated as my fellow classmates struggled to read out loud. English and reading have always been my strong subjects so.... again do not feel bad... as long as you understand the basics you should be fine. Geometry, Algebra and all those advanced math classes.... forget it!

My advice to you is get through your required math classes and never touch another Algebra or Geometry book again LOL!

EmeraldsAndLime

What annoys me is that once you get into university/college, being good or bad at something hardly matters. You'll quickly find that people copy off each other for just about everything.

People these-days tend not to have a eagerness to figure something out for themselves. There's no desire to be challenged and to learn from that experience.

I feel that asking for help should be reserved for when you've tried your best to figure something out for yourself and you're legitimately struggling to understand.

I don't try anything unless I know I can succeed. I like being the best, so until I know I can be on top I won't do it. It's stopped me from doing a few things, but that's alright. I do a lot of things I like, and I do them well.

I had the same experience with my father. Also, after failing Advanced Algebra and having to retake it, I flipped out in class (graphing quadratics I think) after not being helped out while all the other cheaters were pining for attention.

LilpawsGHuskypup

This might be the most stupid reason for losing your temper that I've ever heard of...
    You were just asking for help!
    Both your father and the teacher could've just said that they were unable to help you anymore.
    You being unable to understand is NO reason whatsoever for them to lose their temper and yell at you!
    We're all good at different things! Not everyone has a talent for math... For some it's easy, for other it's hard and for some it's VERY hard.
    As a parent and a teacher, shouldn't you have respect for that?

Disgusting... :dry:

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    What annoys me is that once you get into university/college, being good or bad at something hardly matters. You'll quickly find that people copy off each other for just about everything.

People these-days tend not to have a eagerness to figure something out for themselves. There's no desire to be challenged and to learn from that experience.

I feel that asking for help should be reserved for when you've tried your best to figure something out for yourself and you're legitimately struggling to understand.
    I only wish finding easy help in college were as easy as you make it sound. Generally speaking, if I don't understand something, I find most of the people around me don't understand it either.

More on topic, I have found with math that many people will never get the ideas unless they have help with it. Why should they have to struggle alone for a few hours before turning to somebody to ask if they can explain it?

Maybe the biggest problem here is the teachers them self. On high school, and on early college I found that it was quite easy to get teachers to explain you the same problem multiple times, if necessary through mail, if you asked them in a normal way (and it isn't the day before the exam ) Now, although, I am getting this same problem. Very difficult things that most of my fellow students don't understand either, but a teacher that doesn't really want to explain it. My advice, though, is: Find some older student, that has already past the exam, that wouldn't mind teaching you. Probably there is already a similar program, and you should ask your counselor.

Oh good god, story of my life.

We had this terrible french teacher in grade 6. She would yell at us if we got anything wrong, mispronounced something, used the wrong tense of a verb.

Some people just aren't fit to be teachers.