Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 Year Old Girl, Has Disease That Makes Her Look 50

Jeffy

Default 13 Year Old Girl, Has Disease That Makes Her Look 50

Rare ailment makes girl, 13, look like she?s 50 - TODAY Health

This really makes me sad. I mean, it even says that she's the youngest out of her two other siblings (who all have the disease) and that she looks older than all of them. If you knew that your first two kids carried this disease, and that you knew that it was going to be this socially devastating, then why not stop having kids? (I know the odds are against it happening a third time, but really... come on)
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    Rare ailment makes girl, 13, look like she?s 50 - TODAY Health

This really makes me sad. I mean, it even says that she's the youngest out of her two other siblings (who all have the disease) and that she looks older than all of them. If you knew that your first two kids carried this disease, and that you knew that it was going to be this socially devastating, then why not stop having kids? (I know the odds are against it happening a third time, but really... come on)
    What do you think?
    I think the woman had at least one that didn't. At least it's written that way. It's really terrible though, she couldn't help that she got the gene that gave her the disease and yet it will probably haunt her forever.

I've seen them on television, can't remember which show. It was shocking, to say the least. It's interesting though. If genetically, aging can be sped up, then it can also be slowed down. It's something medical scientists are working on.

While there is no cure for lipdystrophy, cosmetic surgery can mitigate some of the effects — but that option is likely too costly for a family that lives on public assistance.

But Zara still hopes that someday she can receive help and live a more normal life. “I feel if I have my face done, it will give me some more confidence,” she said.
    I wish I was a rich philanthropist.

Ah, there's another disease like that called Progeria. It's such a sad disease to look at, but, hey, that's life. I'd sure as hell give her my body to live with. I don't want people carrying burdens like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I've seen them on television, can't remember which show. It was shocking, to say the least. It's interesting though. If genetically, aging can be sped up, then it can also be slowed down. It's something medical scientists are working on.
    Yeah, there's actually a case of a girl who hasn't physically or mentally aged since she was about 6 months old. Her name is Brooke Greenberg. You can find a few videos about her on youtube. Quite the interesting case, if I do say so myself.
    Last edited by Shukkume; 02-Feb-2010 at 16:14.

That really sucks..

I couldn't imagine having to live life like that.
    Maybe they can get some form of treatment derived from THIS person to help with her condition.

Stuff like this, and things like the earthquake in Haiti, makes me wonder how people can be so hateful, cruel, and destructive. (War, bullying, abuse, murder, etc.) Nature can be horrible enough on its own at times, so why do we need to make things worse? Before someone says it, I know it's technically human nature, but I just wish it wasn't.

Jeffy

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Stuff like this, and things like the earthquake in Haiti, makes me wonder how people can be so hateful, cruel, and destructive. (War, bullying, abuse, murder, etc.) Nature can be horrible enough on its own at times, so why do we need to make things worse? Before someone says it, I know it's technically human nature, but I just wish it wasn't.
    I approve of this message n.n;