Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groundhogs Day

Default Groundhogs Day

Well, tomorrow stupid weather people and elementary school students will celebrate the pointless holiday of Groundhogs Day. On 2 February, all the cameras go to a Pennsylvania to see a single groundhog (Punxsutawney Phil) and see if he has a shadow. If he sees his shadow, with the factors of the sun and the cameras will always produce a shadow, there are 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't then spring begins. I personally hate this holiday due to its pointlessness outside of not doing work in America's elementary schools (Like the 100th day of school because when you're in high school and college you only count the days left!). What's your take on Groundhogs Day?

To celebrate the holiday, I have changed my avatar for one day from my usual Ceviche (I will change it back on 3 February 2010) to Miss Endive as showing the massive beast who saw her shadow on this day. Have fun!
    Last edited by EvaIlyxtra; 02-Feb-2010 at 00:39.

tk7432 If you hate the holiday, why did you change your avi in celebration ? =P

As for me i have no problem with this holiday ever since Bill Murray sold it to me in a very delightful movie o so many years ago. i don't exactly believe the outcome of the groundhogs shadow recognition to be pivotal to our winter continuing or not, but there is a little bit i set to store by phil, mostly out of the tradition i've grown up with.

Hopefully he doesn't see his shadow...

I hate Groundhogs day but I changed it just to get some laughs. I originally wanted to do this avatar for Mardi Gras but I think it is just necessary for Groundhogs day. I will use Panini for Valentine's Day. Got to find a good one!

Freakin Groundhogs Day grinch up in here. Super holiday, and Bill Murray on tv all day. I'm for it.

Bill Murray movie equals win.

Did you guys know PETA actually wants to replace the ground hog with a robotic one? Apparently it makes him nervous..... Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by Needsaname View Post
    Bill Murray movie equals win.

Did you guys know PETA actually wants to replace the ground hog with a robotic one? Apparently it makes him nervous..... Google it.
    It's moreso Bill Murray + Harold Ramis = Win. And if I could I'd totally spend most of tomorrow watching Groundhogs day.

And PETA is so full of shit.

Courtesy of the Los Angeles Times:

I can understand it but the club would really want to stand with tradition.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Punxsutawney Phil fans say that there is only one Phil (all the other groundhog weathermen are imposters), and that he has made weather prognostications for over 120 years as of 2009. They say that every summer, Phil is fed a sip of the mysterious Groundhog Punch, which magically lengthens his life for seven years. This is done by Inner Circle members. According to the Groundhog Club, Phil, after making the prediction, speaks to the Club President in "Groundhogese", which only the Inner Circle appear to understand, and then his prediction is translated for the entire world.
    In reality, groundhogs (widely known as woodchucks) have a maximum lifespan in captivity of 10 years, much shorter in the wild. Thus it is certain that Phil has been replaced many times. The actual method whereby the Inner Circle makes the "prediction" is unknown.
    This is just SOOOOO Funny!

One of my favourite movies and in Australia I could be watching it right now!

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    It's moreso Bill Murray + Harold Ramis = Win. And if I could I'd totally spend most of tomorrow watching Groundhogs day.

And PETA is so full of shit.
    The majority of PETA members are either celebrities or self important university grads who are ignorant to the important political matters in the world but after attending a seminar or two are brainwashed and want to feel like they actually have an informed leftist point of view, many of whom jeopardize their integrity routinely by only supporting "cute" animals and ignoring the entire cycle of nature.

I am a 16 year old and I feel like I am a little bit more politically savvy then most PETA members, and actually form these opinions myself.