Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult babies everywhere I look!!!

Default Adult babies everywhere I look!!!

it baffles me how many i see everyday and everywhere I look.
    i see fully grown men walking around with their partners as though their partners are they're mummies.
    Don't believe me?
    just look for yourself, see how many men you see holding hands and walking aside their partners in supermarkets ( the men look so helpless ) . It's so cute to see them getting lost and frantically looking for their mummies.
    where's all the real men gone?
    and it doesn't stop there,...
    i can understand because of schooling things maybe different in the states ( in the uk u leave when ur 16 ) but how many 16+ people are still living at home these days?
    their mummies washing, feeding them..
    what happened to self respect
    Last edited by funkybeanie; 01-Feb-2010 at 17:04. Reason: grammar

How is still living at home when you're 16+ a big deal?

I know two people who moved out at 16: one was the child of an alcoholic speed user, the other got kicked out at 15.

I can't think of any sensible reason for moving out at 16, unless your home life is a total mess. It's not like you get given a well paying job the day you turn 16, and people are definitely encouraged to stay in full time education (and that requires somebody to keep financing you!).

That's not to say 16+s living at home should be acting like children, but I don't really see much of that.

And I don't understand what you're saying about men in supermarkets, I never see men looking lost. Holding hands is generally a sign of affection, rather than a way of leading people around.

Quote Originally Posted by funkybeanie View Post
    i an understand because of schooling things maybe different in the states ( in the uk u leave when ur 16 ) but how many 16+ people are still living at home these days?
    their mummies washing, feeding them..
    what happened to self respect
    Eh? People don't leave school at sixteen as a matter of course here. It is possible to leave after GCSE at sixteen but most people are still in education between sixteen and eighteen, either doing A Levels at school or college, a diploma or a more vocational qualification. There are actually plans to raised the school leaving age to eighteen at the moment, meaning people will have to be in education or training of some form until that age.

At any rate, I see absolutely nothing wrong with living at home at seventeen or eighteen. Almost everybody does it and for very good reasons. It's not exactly something new either, certainly it was the norm for my parents' generation, for example.

Not really sure what you're driving at with the stuff about blokes holding hands with their partner's in the supermarket, to be honest.

men walking around supermarkets with their partners that look like they haven't a clue if their partners weren't with them..
    as a matter of course? eh.
    yes we leave when ur 16 ( if u decide to stay? then u decide to stay ) but u can leave when ur 16 .
    my point is why so many middle aged men ( and u two ain't middle aged men so u mightn't get the point ) Don't have a clue of how take care of themselves - they'll either heavily rely on their partners or mummies to take of them

I don't even know what this thread is about.

Middle aged men getting lost in supermarkets?
    People not moving out when they turn 16?

my point is why so many middle aged men today rely heavily on their partners or parents to take care of them

There are quite a few assertions that will no doubt draw fire from others here. I would encourage you to go back and reword your final comments that someone living at home with their parents over a certain age has no self respect, or that the act of shopping with ones wife and holding her hand shows a lack of masculinity.
    Even if that is not what you meant, it is how it reads, and will be perceived as an attack by most guys and no doubt create an unfriendly thread.

my point is why so many middle aged men today rely heavily on their partners or parents to take care of them
    (Emphasis mine)

It's always been the case that women make the house and take care of the men-folk. It's not a new occurance. Of course in todays society where we're fighting for more equal rights men should be taking on more of the burden of housekeeping (ie grocery shopping) but that's by no means going to change overnight.

Can you define middle aged please? I've not seen anyone 'middle aged' by my definition holding hands looking lost in a supermarket. In fact, I've not really seen anyone over the age of 8 looking like that, male or female.

And I'm not sure why not being able to go grocery shopping alone would suddenly make you an AB. Lots of people require help with different things, and if planning your weeks shopping is one of them then so be it. It doesn't exactly make you helpless? If anything, I think a couple that can go shopping together without fighting makes for a strong and happy couple! I know I've gotten into many fights, even just with my flatmates about brands and suchlike in the store.

As for leaving home at 16, you'd be surprised how rare it is. Defnitely the majority of people that I know and am aware of have stayed at home until they're 17, 18 or even later. This doesn't bring shame on them, or make them less respectful as a person, male or female. This means that they aren't making enough money to have a flat or room of their own, or are staying in education. If fact, most people I talk to pay a minimal amount of rent to their parents if they stay on living at home once they're out of education. It doesn't break their budget, but it contributes. If you see this as making someone less of a man then I really think you need to re-evaluate your definition of what a man actually is. In my mind anyone who can sort out goood living arangements for themselves, without milking it from their parents for ever is doing well for themselves.

as a matter of course? eh.
    yes we leave when ur 16 ( if u decide to stay? then u decide to stay ) but u can leave when ur 16 .
    You can leave, but more than three quarters of sixteen to eighteen year-olds are still in learning. Obviously those kids are going to be living at home. It just makes sense.

And are middle aged men more dependent on spouses or mothers today? Well, traditionally women have always taken care of the shopping and cleaning and all that stuff more than men. I'd actually argue that more men then ever are doing this for themselves now as old social norms break down and work and life patterns change. Plenty of men and women do live within those traditional gender roles but I'd certainly question whether it's increasing. I also must say that I don't commonly see adult men looking lost or confused when I'm doing the weekly shop. Sorry, but it's really not an observation I recognise.

why is this being taken as an attack OR as though it's something new ?
    it was an article on the One Show on bbc last week, it was mentioned on the front page of the sunday times the week prior.
    and retaliation that women should carry out these tasks? - ur not doing urself any favours.
    forget i ever brought it up ( and media must just be silly billy ) .
    topic closed